• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

It would put us in a really bad situation if Peters transfers, since he can't start looking until August per Paul's article (if he declares as a GT).  At least Bryce left as soon as he came back from the NIT.  We would be unable to do anything with an open scholarship in August.  I hope that Peters communicates often with our coaches about his intentions throughout the summer, otherwise he can really screw us. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

atkins

We all know this, but it bears repeating: Alec would take a huge risk by going to a power conference school that is in the limelight.  The transition to any new program is tough, let alone one of the top programs. 

Alec has to really work at creating his own shot. Bryce was excellent at doing so, and Ryan was good at it.  Alec is ok but has some room for improvement.  On the other hand, he brings many other skills to the table that Bryce and Rowdy lacked. 

Alec would be the true star in a motion offense that uses tons of screens (ala Bob Knight), but those programs are rare nowadays.  I just do not see him being the featured guy in an uptempo highlight-reel offense like that run by so many of today's top teams.  He is just not athletic enough.  However, imagine him on a pro team like Golden State....probably a dream team for a three-point shooter who likes to play defense. 

I agree he can make his mark on the scouts if he stays at VU, and I think he does so with substantially minimized risk.

Alec is driven and smart.  He will make a good decision.  I have faith in his judgment. 

VULB#62

Quote from: atkins on May 26, 2016, 04:27:12 PM
We all know this, but it bears repeating: Alec would take a huge risk by going to a power conference school that is in the limelight.  The transition to any new program is tough, let alone one of the top programs. 

Alec has to really work at creating his own shot. Bryce was excellent at doing so, and Ryan was good at it.  Alec is ok but has some room for improvement.  On the other hand, he brings many other skills to the table that Bryce and Rowdy lacked. 

Alec would be the true star in a motion offense that uses tons of screens (ala Bob Knight), but those programs are rare nowadays.  I just do not see him being the featured guy in an uptempo highlight-reel offense like that run by so many of today's top teams.  He is just not athletic enough.  However, imagine him on a pro team like Golden State....probably a dream team for a three-point shooter who likes to play defense. 

I agree he can make his mark on the scouts if he stays at VU, and I think he does so with substantially minimized risk.

Alec is driven and smart.  He will make a good decision.  I have faith in his judgment.

Wasn't that the book on Larry Bird coming out of Indiana State?

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpotx on May 26, 2016, 11:06:52 AM
He can't look elsewhere until he announces that he is using the graduate transfer rule, and he can't use that rule until he completes his classes.

Do you know this for a fact? Source?

Just Sayin

Is it a fact that a student with one more year of athletic eligibility cannot speak to other universities before he has officially been graduated? Is intent to complete a degree during the summer irrelevant? Source?
Are other coaches, knowing that a student who is anticipating being graduated but who has one more year of eligibility, prohibited from contacting him before he finishes his coursework? Source?

VULB#62

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 26, 2016, 05:15:40 PM
Is it a fact that a student with one more year of athletic eligibility cannot speak to other universities before he has officially been graduated? Is intent to complete a degree during the summer irrelevant? Source?
Are other coaches, knowing that a student who is anticipating being graduated but who has one more year of eligibility, prohibited from contacting him before he finishes his coursework? Source?

All good questions.  Bottom line: a graduate xfer cannot xfer unless he has the degree in hand before he does so, no?  Intent to graduate is not the same as graduating.  If he comes up 3 credits shy or flunks a course, doesn't that throw a transfer out the window?  So I am thinking that for all intents and purposes, Alec can talk to anyone and and anyone can talk to him, but unless, and until, he has the degree in hand, no transfer.  Is an analogy similar to a HS senior appropriate?  Except the recruiting process for a potential graduate transfer is for a true one and done.  Just asking justsaying   ;)

Just Sayin

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 26, 2016, 05:53:14 PM

All good questions.  Bottom line: a graduate xfer cannot xfer unless he has the degree in hand before he does so, no?  Intent to graduate is not the same as graduating.  If he comes up 3 credits shy or flunks a course, doesn't that throw a transfer out the window?  So I am thinking that for all intents and purposes, Alec can talk to anyone and and anyone can talk to him, but unless, and until, he has the degree in hand, no transfer.  Is an analogy similar to a HS senior appropriate?  Except the recruiting process for a potential graduate transfer is for a true one and done.  Just asking justsaying   ;)

Regarding the bolded comments you made, my impression of previous comments is that neither the student nor the other coaches can speak with each other until permission is granted by the Valpo AD, no?

VULB#62

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 26, 2016, 05:54:35 PM
VU's Peters withdraws from NBA Draft, future undecided

Valparaiso senior could still transfer to another program

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/vu-s-peters-withdraws-from-nba-draft-future-undecided/article_feabaefc-f28a-5a4f-9762-79a05b03d71e.html
I liked this comment from Alec:
"(The scouts) can always tell the coaches more than they can tell me personally and they'll be more honest with them as well," Peters said. "We've been on the same page about the things I need to do next year. I know Coach Lottich is supportive of that feedback and wants to do some of that stuff. If they're going to let me expand my game like that, it would be hard to leave this place."

VULB#62

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 26, 2016, 05:57:29 PM

Regarding the bolded comments you made, my impression of previous comments is that neither the student nor the other coaches can speak with each other until permission is granted by the Valpo AD, no?

Don't know.  If the HS Senior analogy applies, he's a free agent, right?  Ah, maybe not.  Michigan and Spike whatshisname fought over that as i remember.

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 26, 2016, 06:02:20 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on May 26, 2016, 05:57:29 PM

Don't know.  If the HS Senior analogy applies, he's a free agent, right?  Ah, maybe not.  Michigan and Spike whatshisname fought over that as i remember.

Alec seemingly answered this question himself when asked if he had contact with Bryce or Roger since they left to Vandy, and he responded: "No, they're coaches at different schools." It makes sense that it would be unethical to speak with other coaches about a transfer, without permission from Valparaiso, while still attending classes at VU and supported by a Valpo scholarship. Apparently, he will be finished with classes on June 24. He will be free to discuss his future with anyone after that.

covufan

These are my thoughts and I have no sources w.r.t. the graduate transfer rules. A year or two ago, I believe it was a Purdue basketball player, announced that he wanted to do the graduate transfer, but needed to take summer classes, for which he had not been enrolled yet.  Purdue took the position he wasn't their worry, since he wanted to transfer, and they wouldn't pay for his summer classes. The last few springs, many players have requested the graduate transfer, at a time that appears just a few weeks before finals. That is why I think any player needs to be all but complete with their coursework before announcing the desire to be a grad transfer.

I'm sure Alec is looking very closely at the rules, as well as potential schools. He won't have much time come August, and needs to be prepared.

I still think his best opportunity is to return to Valpo, and lead his team back to the NCAA tournament!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

Coaches from other schools aren't allowed to recruit someone unless the player is no longer tied to a program via scholarship (released from it) or not in a signed commitment (HS SR).  This is a fact, and someone else can get the source to back it up.  If other schools are speaking directly with Alec about his intent to use the graduate transfer rule, they are breaking NCAA laws.  They can talk to his AAU and HS coaches, but not directly to him until he has either been released, or can use the GT rule.  Since it sounds like he has several credits to go, you can't anticipatorily say that you will GT, unless you have completed the courses.  As someone said, he could fail a course, and not be allowed to use the GT rule, so I highly doubt you can talk to other schools with this rule, unless you have the credits to do so NOW. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Absolutely super blog by Paul.  This is MUST reading for everyone.  It also shows how unselfish and supportive Matt and his staff have been in this process.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/alec-peters-shares-thoughts-on-nba-valparaiso/article_894e23b0-2376-11e6-b168-d39d0980ca9c.html

Added later:  I really like that they chose Matt to carry on the "Valpo Way". Matt risks losing his best player, but he and Luke are doing all the right things to make Alec successful. That makes me a proud alumnus.

rogerwilco

It's weird that the NCAA allows for NBA teams to pay for Peters' flight to a workout and lets them provide him with food, clothes and a hotel room.
Then again, I guess it's too much to expect the NCAA to be consistent on anything.

VULB#62

Quote from: rogerwilco on May 26, 2016, 10:22:52 PM
It's weird that the NCAA allows for NBA teams to pay for Peters' flight to a workout and lets them provide him with food, clothes and a hotel room.
Then again, I guess it's too much to expect the NCAA to be consistent on anything.

I suppose it's no different in their eyes than an engineering student being flown to Seattle by Boeing to interview for a entry level engineering job.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 26, 2016, 08:47:31 PM
Absolutely super blog by Paul.  This is MUST reading for everyone.  It also shows how unselfish and supportive Matt and his staff have been in this process.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/alec-peters-shares-thoughts-on-nba-valparaiso/article_894e23b0-2376-11e6-b168-d39d0980ca9c.html

Added later:  I really like that they chose Matt to carry on the "Valpo Way". Matt risks losing his best player, but he and Luke are doing all the right things to make Alec successful. That makes me a proud alumnus.

Very good, insightful article. Based on what Alec is saying, it sounds like he is pleased with the coaching staff and how unselfish they have been through this process. Just hearing those things from him makes me feel optimistic that he's leaning towards staying. But who knows, it's too early to know anything yet.

Just Sayin

My guess is that once he has an opportunity to discuss his options with his advisors and family, along with  the pros and cons of staying vs transferring, he will decide fairly quickly and announce it. That is why I wouldn't be at all surprised if he came out next week and announced, especially if he decides to stay at Valpo. The longer this decision takes points to his leaning toward transferring. The transfer option is way too risky for him given that he must wait until August to even talk with coaches, who in all liklihood will not have an available scholarship at that late date. And the pressure that he will put on himself by waiting will be too heavy a load for him to bear over the next several weeks. I say he stays. The stars are just not aligned for him given that he has not been graduated yet. Short of a coach approaching him on the side and offering a scholarship, which is probably unethical, I don't see him having a clear, nearly risk-free path to transfer. I've heard from a reliable source that the NBA scouts have told him to get one more year of experience "at Valpo," and not to transfer.

VULB#62

To add to that, the things he has to work on to improve his draft stock are critical to his development.  It sounds as if Matt and his staff are committed to support those things -- will the P5 coach who might see a different role for him ?  Will he get the 30+ minutes/game to work on those things against the decent but beatable competition available in the HL, vs. maybe fewer minutes and possibly tougher competition in those fewer minutes at the P5 level.  Yes, the tougher the competition etc., etc., but I'm looking at this from a developmental perspective.  He needs an environment where he can gradually produce success after success along with growing confidence.  The risk is that unless he comes out and blows people out right away, there may be disappointment on both his part and the P5 coach. At Valpo, the team and the coaches will ensure that he gets the right dose of competition and the full amount of minutes to achieve new successes.  And in that scenario, both he and Valpo benefit.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;)

IrishDawg

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 27, 2016, 09:45:32 AM
My guess is that once he has an opportunity to discuss his options with his advisors and family, along with  the pros and cons of staying vs transferring, he will decide fairly quickly and announce it. That is why I wouldn't be at all surprised if he came out next week and announced, especially if he decides to stay at Valpo. The longer this decision takes points to his leaning toward transferring. The transfer option is way too risky for him given that he must wait until August to even talk with coaches, who in all liklihood will not have an available scholarship at that late date. And the pressure that he will put on himself by waiting will be too heavy a load for him to bear over the next several weeks. I say he stays. The stars are just not aligned for him given that he has not been graduated yet. Short of a coach approaching him on the side and offering a scholarship, which is probably unethical, I don't see him having a clear, nearly risk-free path to transfer. I've heard from a reliable source that the NBA scouts have told him to get one more year of experience "at Valpo," and not to transfer.

Agree that the longer he waits that the more it would seem like he's leaning towards transferring.  Other college coaches cannot directly contact him until he has elected to transfer, but they can certainly contact his high school and AAU coaches or others that are close enough to him that if they wanted him to get the message that there is a scholarship available, they can, and almost certainly will if they get the feel from those coaches that he is leaning towards a transfer.  A lot of schools don't use all 13 scholarships every year, so regardless when the announcement is made, there will be scholarships available for Alec if he decides to leave.

Additionally, while the NBA scouts may have sincerely meant to get another year at Valpo, it would almost certainly warrant some kind of investigation if the scouts were directly telling a student-athlete to transfer, especially if it was to a particular conference or school, so it would be pretty foolish of them to say otherwise.

From the sounds of it though, Lottich seems to be handing the keys to Alec and telling him he'll do anything he can to get him to stay, and it would be stupid of him not to.  Even if the structure of the offense is more for the benefit of Alec than for Valpo, with Peters, Valpo should comfortably cruise to the NCAAs.  But even without him there's still a good chance the Crusaders could make it as the next 4 schools in the Horizon all lost their best players.

Lurker

Tom Davis of the Fort Wayne Sentinel reporting that "word on the street" is Peters may go to Vandy.  No idea what word on the street means.

covufan

Quote from: Lurker on May 27, 2016, 04:29:05 PM
Tom Davis of the Fort Wayne Sentinel reporting that "word on the street" is Peters may go to Vandy.  No idea what word on the street means.
That has been the 'word' since Bryce Drew left Valpo.  Nothing new to report.

Here is Davis' report:

https://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/736305442452709376

wh

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 27, 2016, 03:08:12 PM
Agree that the longer he waits that the more it would seem like he's leaning towards transferring.  Other college coaches cannot directly contact him until he has elected to transfer, but they can certainly contact his high school and AAU coaches or others that are close enough to him that if they wanted him to get the message that there is a scholarship available, they can, and almost certainly will if they get the feel from those coaches that he is leaning towards a transfer.  A lot of schools don't use all 13 scholarships every year, so regardless when the announcement is made, there will be scholarships available for Alec if he decides to leave.

Additionally, while the NBA scouts may have sincerely meant to get another year at Valpo, it would almost certainly warrant some kind of investigation if the scouts were directly telling a student-athlete to transfer, especially if it was to a particular conference or school, so it would be pretty foolish of them to say otherwise.

From the sounds of it though, Lottich seems to be handing the keys to Alec and telling him he'll do anything he can to get him to stay, and it would be stupid of him not to.  Even if the structure of the offense is more for the benefit of Alec than for Valpo, with Peters, Valpo should comfortably cruise to the NCAAs.  But even without him there's still a good chance the Crusaders could make it as the next 4 schools in the Horizon all lost their best players.

A lot of solid deductive reasoning in this thread supporting both outcomes, but I'm getting the sinking feeling that Alec is all but gone. That said, if the Davis rumor is correct, I will be revisiting the "Will you be rooting for Bryce?" thread.

covufan

Quote from: wh on May 27, 2016, 05:49:06 PMA lot of solid deductive reasoning in this thread supporting both outcomes, but I'm getting the sinking feeling that Alec is all but gone. That said, if the Davis rumor is correct, I will be revisiting the "Will you be rooting for Bryce?" thread.
If that is the outcome, I'm sure you won't be the only one visiting that thread.   >:(