• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Keyondre Young's No. 2 ranked Del City Eagles just defeated top ranked Edmond Memorial 47-44 to win the Oklahoma 6A state championship. Keyondre dominated the action with 26 points and 10 rebounds. He also out performed Edmond Memorial star PG and Virginia Tech recruit Sean Pedulla.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on March 13, 2021, 09:43:23 PMKeyondre Young's No. 2 ranked Del City Eagles just defeated top ranked Edmond Memorial 47-44 to win the Oklahoma 6A state championship. Keyondre dominated the action with 26 points and 10 rebounds. He also out performed Edmond Memorial star PG and Virginia Tech recruit Sean Pedulla.

Hmmm... That's very encouraging...He could be a good one... Seems to elevate in big moments which is what we need... Too many times in our history we have had good players that tended to shrink in big moments unfortunately and drop games at inopportune times. That's something I hope Matt can fix.

VUGrad1314

I hope we can actually keep a class together. This one looks good but that only matters if we can actually retain our players.

valpotx

I believe that is our first ever win at ORU!  Half credit?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

It starts to make sense as to why guys are transferring.  With the talent coming in some just see the handwriting on the wall as in "zero to little playing time"
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2021, 08:23:14 AMIt starts to make sense as to why guys are transferring.  With the talent coming in some just see the handwriting on the wall as in "zero to little playing time"

I still think losing Clay hurts. For all of his shooting woes this past season it's a lot to ask of a freshman (even a talented one) to be as good as he has been. If both Gordon and Zion come back it's very possible we'll be okay at PG while the freshmen learn the ropes there. I'd like to see some size so we can maybe equalize the rebounding totals just a little bit but we'll see. Maybe things aren't as bad as I worry they might be. It just sucks to see players you view as potential building blocks and key contributors leave the program and you have to admit that the loss of six players (even if most of them aren't key contributors) seems a bit alarming at first blush especially with some of the things being tweeted like what Mileek's friend said about finding "a better situation. Watch him end up at Drake. That seems to be where all the players from NWI go. ;D

VU2014

Just saw Cam Palesse retweeted a post that a Valpo fan tagged both Cade Meyer who Valpo heavily recruited before committing to Green Bay in November and Cam in with an article linking the 9 or so transfers that Green Bay has had.

I believe Cam and Cade were AAU teammates. If Valpo could land Cade if decommitted that would be absolutely huge. Cade was selected as the top post player award in Wisconsin. Cam was selected for the Back court. Not sure if there is anything here but Cam liked and retweeted the post. He may be trying to recruit him. Green Bay is a bit of an absolute mess right now with the transfer of key players.

https://twitter.com/bill_c_valpo/status/1371222778796507137?s=21
https://twitter.com/wisbbyearbook/status/1369375312996360194?s=21
https://twitter.com/monroeschoolswi/status/1369407648551034880?s=21

wh

vuny98

I havn't followed all that closely, but from what I can tell, Young seems legit. And Palesse sounds solid as well.

Anyone's thoughts on the other two? Ranking of the four coming in?

vok22

I don't know much about Darius, but I know Trey Woodyard is rated a 3 star recruit by 247 sports who chose us over Toledo, Ohio, and Miami(OH). I can't find many recent highlights of his though, most recently from his junior year. Palesse is the one I am most excited about. Averaged 35 a game I believe and shot something like 45% I think from three. Looks like he scores at all three levels and dishes it out. Also saw quite a few steals on his highlight reels, so we'll see if that translates to the next level. Young looks like a copy and paste of Clay, except with a better shot. His shot just looks more natural and quicker, but I don't know his overall percentage. Looks like he hits a lot of jump shots though.

vu72

Quote from: vuny98 on March 15, 2021, 11:16:50 AM
I havn't followed all that closely, but from what I can tell, Young seems legit. And Palesse sounds solid as well.

Anyone's thoughts on the other two? Ranking of the four coming in?

Here's some stuff on Trey Woodyard.  He reminds me of Conner Barrett and not because they are both 6'5" white kids!  known as a deadly shooter.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10605673/Trey-Woodyard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdFjYvdV14o

One service I found had him rated as the No. 2 small forward in Ohio.

https://tripledoubleprospects.com/2021-player-rankings/

Darius is more of an unknown.  He is listed at 5'11" so no doubt he is fast and a good defender.  This is a tape I found from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZRlVIj6V0
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Watching the DeAveiro Highlights I would have to say that I am not really sold on the perimeter shot. We really need to have a PG who can at least be a threat from the perimeter. I don't need someone that shoots 40% from 3, 34% actually equates to better than 50% 2 point shooting. Daniel, Zion and Goodnews all put us in situations where we many times ended up playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end because they where not a threat to hit even a 17' jumper. Todd hit the nail on the head after the Missouri State game when he suggested that Goodnews didn't play in the second half because we needed to be more offensive minded down 18. Almost all of our players, with exception of maybe Barrett and Ognacevic, have significant issues with their shooting technique. I have not been to a practice in the last 3 years, does anyone know if Valpo has invested in the Noah Shooting System. I really got tired this season watching players shoot (especially Gordon and Edwards) with an arc that practiacally precluded that the ball had about a 15% chance of going into the basket. Ugh...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Oklahoma high school basketball: The Oklahoman's 2021 Class 6A and 5A All-Tournament teams

TULSA — Here's a look at The Oklahoman's selections for the 2021 Classes 6A and 5A All-Tournament teams from the state tournaments over the weekend:

Class 6A boys
MVP: Keyondre Young, Sr., Del City

Young played his best on the biggest stage. He scored 26 points in Saturday's championship game and was stellar on the defensive end, helping Del City win its first title since 1980.

valpotx

Young seems every bit as athletic as Clay, but with a much softer shot, and less that could go wrong with a jump shot, tied to his overall form.  Hate to lose a solid overall player like Clay, but I don't think we are stepping back too much with this kid, even as a FR.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2021, 01:33:13 AM
Young seems every bit as athletic as Clay, but with a much softer shot, and less that could go wrong with a jump shot, tied to his overall form.  Hate to lose a solid overall player like Clay, but I don't think we are stepping back too much with this kid, even as a FR.

I think Clay and Young are just different types of players. Young will likely be more of a perimeter wing as opposed to Clay whose bread and butter was his versatility on defense. Young has a better jump shot from what I've seen, but I'm willing to bet his defense won't be nearly as good as Clays. Young really needs to put on muscle and get thickets because he's going to get pushed around in the paint. I'm excited for his future but I'm not sure he's a replacement for Clay's best skill set.

Donovan was at his absolute best when driving lanes opened up for him with JFL attracting attention from defenders. Honestly he really needs to commit to working on his jumper. He had open looks this year but they just weren't falling. It would open things up for him.

I was extremely thrilled with Krikke this year but he can work on this offseason as well. He was fairly timid on shooting beyond the 3 point line. Maybe he just doesn't trust himself from that range. He also needs to get more comfortable in the post with his right hand on post moves. Krikke probably will never be an elite rebounder but if he gets more aware of rebound positioning and boxing out, he'll become more efficient. All things can be worked on in the offseason (hopefully in a post covid world this Summer).

vu84v2

Wow!  Really great posts...learned and lot and easy to get enthusiastic.

valpotx

I believe that the pre-college connections between AP, Lexus, Jubril, and Nick Davidson, also assisted with our success and their longevity with our program.  Hopefully these guys are communicating before their time on campus, and are wanting to be the next wave of stellar recruits to have an impact on our basketball program. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

mp91

Anyone on here have any insights on Lake Central's Kyle Ross? I saw he is the only player in the top 12 of the 2021 Indiana class unsigned.... Has anyone seen him play?

vok22

Quote from: mp91 on March 18, 2021, 01:54:31 PM
Anyone on here have any insights on Lake Central's Kyle Ross? I saw he is the only player in the top 12 of the 2021 Indiana class unsigned.... Has anyone seen him play?

I've heard a lot of great things about his game. 3 star recruit in our backyard and guess what...drake offered him and we didn't

M

He didn't make it over at Andrean...think there was a locker room incident or something I can't remember.  Maybe he's matured since then (if I'm remembering correctly, he was the problem).

VU2014

Quote from: M on March 18, 2021, 02:33:56 PM
He didn't make it over at Andrean...think there was a locker room incident or something I can't remember.  Maybe he's matured since then (if I'm remembering correctly, he was the problem).

I've heard there were maturity issues as well. He's been to a Valpo game on an unofficial visit a few years ago. The Coaches are definitely aware of him. Seems to be a nice player. I don't know much else.