• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

High Point vs Valpo, Dec. 4 at 7 p.m.

Started by valpopal, December 02, 2018, 09:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Now that Valpo has played 8 of its 31 scheduled games, we are about one-fourth of the way through the season, and we have a decent basis to start looking at trends. One important area to watch will be the continuation of a positive assists-to-turnovers comparison. Thus far, the team is averaging 16.4 assists and 13.1 turnovers per game. Last year's team averaged 12.5 assists and 14.7 turnovers per game. I look for Valpo to keep a positive assists to turnovers ratio and hopefully improve it against High Point.

crusadermoe

I think you have to throw out Concordia for stats to mean much yet.   But the team has really done well except vs SIUE.

I saw Vegas has the over/under for the Valparais student section fans at 8.  I will go optimistic and say 11 now that the Bears and Colts are not playing and people are beck from the weekend.   This game could be the "High Point" of their week.  Finals are not until Dec. 10 week.  But this is that nasty pre-Finals week.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on December 03, 2018, 10:01:32 AM
I think you have to throw out Concordia for stats to mean much yet.   But the team has really done well except vs SIUE.

I saw Vegas has the over/under for the Valparais student section fans at 8.  I will go optimistic and say 11 now that the Bears and Colts are not playing and people are beck from the weekend.   This game could be the "High Point" of their week.  Finals are not until Dec. 10 week.  But this is that nasty pre-Finals week.

I agree the showing was awful but, having said that and also watching the women's game, there were a bunch of students watching, just not in the student section.  I'm wondering whether or not the whole cell phone generation thing has made it not cool to be seen sitting together in the end zone?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on December 03, 2018, 10:18:36 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on December 03, 2018, 10:01:32 AM

I agree the showing was awful but, having said that and also watching the women's game, there were a bunch of students watching, just not in the student section.  I'm wondering whether or not the whole cell phone generation thing has made it not cool to be seen sitting together in the end zone?

I'm not sure what the deal is but the way to get high engagement from this generation is to turn the student section into a "must go" event. Make the student section into a "party" like atmosphere. Free food and a T-Shirt isn't going to get anyone excite to come anymore. Things like: beach balls, costumes, interactive games during time outs will create engagement.

crusader05

Maybe they need to get Dr Pepper to give out 100,000 in tuition money like did at the Iowa football game :)

Although, for real, getting businesses to donate large checks for philantrophy (greek orgs) or for book-store dollars would be a really big incentive. they are currently promoting the basketball game with their tree lighting event and they are runnign promotions that you can only get if you sit in the student section but yeah it's gonna be hard.

talksalot

Maybe the fans will connect with having Tubby Smith on the bench for the Panthers... I for one, am looking forward to seeing him.  He did just win his 600th career win the other day...

talksalot

From the GameNotes for High Point.  Looks like a two-headed team... which have historically given us fits...

PAW PRINTS
• High Point (3-5) will meet Valpo (5-3) for the first time in program history. HPU head coach Tubby Smith has face the Crusaders once before, winning in the NCAA Tournament First Round in 2002 with Kentucky.  (83-68 in the Saint Louis Regional)

• Last time out, the Panthers dropped a heartbreaker to Eastern Kentucky, 70-69, on a last-second 3-point shot Saturday afternoon (Dec. 1) at the Millis Center.

• Junior Brandonn Kamga (6'5" JR) recorded a career-high 27 points, while fellow junior Jahaad Proctor (6'3" JR) added 24.

• For Kamga, it was the third time in his career he has scored 20 or more points and was one point higher than his previous career high of 26, set against Charlotte on Nov. 24, 2017.

• For Proctor, it was the fifth-consecutive game he has scored 20 or more points and the sixth time in eight games this season. Proctor is third in the Big South in scoring, averaging 20.8 points per game.

• The Eastern Kentucky game was the third time Kamga and Proctor have scored 20 or more points in the same game.

so... who is our "Lock Down Defender" this year?   I've heard a lot about our offense... but ...
Javon Freeman has 15 steals, Deion Lavender have 11 and Bakari Evelyn has 8...

Their Starting Line up for the ETSU game:   6-5; 6-3, 6-2, 6-7, 6-5; ... and their 6th and 7th players:  5-11 and 6-8.     SHORT.  They have out-rebounded their opponents 275-253 including a 95-70 lead on the Offensive glass.  We can't let that happen Tuesday.

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on December 03, 2018, 05:01:40 PMLast time out, the Panthers dropped a heartbreaker to Eastern Kentucky, 70-69, on a last-second 3-point shot Saturday afternoon (Dec. 1) at the Millis Center.

I watched until halftime. With a nice lead and playing at home I wrongly concluded they had it in the bag and moved to another ESPN+ game. Kamga at 6'5" looked like the guy most difficult to stop.

High Point also has a neutral court win over Air Force which handled Missouri St pretty easily in the challenge.

Smj

I'm leaving in the morning to drive to the game...   Looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M

Will the VU tree lighting Tuesday night affect the game attendance positively, negatively or not at all?

I am coaching a middle school game and can't make it but look forward to hearing the reports and hopefully catching a game replay somewhere.

bbtds

It definitely will be the High Point game of the season.

Smj

Quote from: bbtds on December 03, 2018, 11:10:01 PM

So bad...  dont even know what to say ..    just SMH....

Go V.U. !!!

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on December 03, 2018, 11:10:01 PM

So cheesy I couldn't help but laugh lol

crusader05

The tree lighting is at six and I think most activities surrounding it shut down right around then too. The marketing for the event is pushing going to the basketball game after the tree lighting so I think they're hoping the momentum will get students to go to the game following the tree stuff.

humbleopinion

Here is the pre-game coverage from our local newspaper:
https://www.nwitimes.com/eedition/north/page-b/page_25ec361a-df81-55d9-8220-b7de5e613153.html

You'll find it after the listing for Andrews at Calumet College.

Beamin' Beacons

wh

Not knowing anything about High Point, sports or otherwise, I did a little Google searching and came up with this:

$2.9 million man: HPU president's pay among highest in nation

"Qubein's total pay package in 2013: an eye-popping $2,909,148, more than double than what he made the year before. Only the presidents of Columbia University and the University of Pennsylvania made more; Qubein was paid more than the presidents of Duke and Wake Forest combined."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greensboro.com/news/schools/million-man-hpu-president-s-pay-among-highest-in-nation/article_296bd2f4-6b06-5bb4-9a36-357d2f1a9cb0.amp.html

Not bad for a private school the size of Valpo.

valpopal

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 04, 2018, 07:28:59 AM
Here is the pre-game coverage from our local newspaper:
https://www.nwitimes.com/eedition/north/page-b/page_25ec361a-df81-55d9-8220-b7de5e613153.html

You'll find it after the listing for Andrews at Calumet College.

A perfect example displaying the sad state of game-day promotion for the region's D-1 basketball team by it own hometown newspaper!  >:(

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 04, 2018, 09:20:54 AM
Not knowing anything about High Point, sports or otherwise, I did a little Google searching and came up with this:

"Qubein's total pay package in 2013: an eye-popping $2,909,148, more than double than what he made the year before. Only the presidents of Columbia University and the University of Pennsylvania made more; Qubein was paid more than the presidents of Duke and Wake Forest combined."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greensboro.com/news/schools/million-man-hpu-president-s-pay-among-highest-in-nation/article_296bd2f4-6b06-5bb4-9a36-357d2f1a9cb0.amp.html

I could say with a name like High Point why wouldn't the president of HPU be paid the third highest.

But I won't!!

vu84v2

The headline is deceiving. Most of that 2013 compensation was deferred from other years. The article says that his compensation (only going back to 2008) for a given year has ranged from $450K to $1.4M. $1.4M is still quite high and I would bet that the board of regents, directors, etc. and Qubein are quite chummy.

VU2014

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 04, 2018, 02:27:09 PM

The headline is deceiving. Most of that 2013 compensation was deferred from other years. The article says that his compensation (only going back to 2008) for a given year has ranged from $450K to $1.4M. $1.4M is still quite high and I would bet that the board of regents, directors, etc. and Qubein are quite chummy.

The guy must be a hell of a fundraiser to earn that chunk of change.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2018, 03:52:00 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on December 04, 2018, 02:27:09 PM

The guy must be a hell of a fundraiser to earn that chunk of change.

I would say he must have brought fund raising to a H... P....., oh never mind...................

crusadermoe

Is High Point in Colorado?  :P

And just to the south in Vegas: the Over and under for VU Cru section -has moved up to 14.   There were some late rumors of a student being taken off IR and bringing another.

humbleopinion

Trivia question:
Did Chris Halverson play for Tubby Smith at Minnesota?
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 04, 2018, 06:39:10 PM
Trivia question:
Did Chris Halverson play for Tubby Smith at Minnesota?

Yes, Chris Halvorsen played for Tubby Smith for 2 seasons. (11-13)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chris-halvorsen-1.html