• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #16 Valpo vs Bradley 1/8/19 @ ARC 7pm espn+

Started by VU2014, January 06, 2019, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Wardle & Co. are coming into the ARC 0-2 in Valley play and hungry for a W. This is the first game students will be back on campus for! Hopefully the positive vibes over the last week or so will carry into the game on Tuesday. Bradley is a much more talented team than their record suggests. They play stout defense which we will need to overcome. We can't go on any prolonged scoring droughts like we did in the ISUr game.

Bradley's star, Darrell Brown dropped 32 against Indiana State in a 65-60 loss the other day. We'll need our backcourt to contain him in this game like UNI managed to do the previous game. elijah Childs is having somewhat of disappointing year but even when he's not scoring, he still manages to have an impact on the game with his rebounding. The battle of the Bigs will be another key match up. Koch Bar averages 5.5 Rebs per game. We need our guys to crash the glass and fight for every board against this Bradley team.

I have a feeling this is going to be a gritty/physical game if the refs let the guys play. I see this one being a close game and neither team gets over 70 points.

valpopal

Looking at the ratings, with the home court advantage Valpo should be favored by about 4 points. However, that is the same spread that favored Missouri State, and we saw what happened there. Need to win the home games; otherwise, Valpo's away victory at Missouri State is basically negated.

VALPO LI

1:  Valpo starting line up?
2:  Final Score?
3:  Attendance?
4:  3 point percentage for Valpo? Over/Under 30%?
5: How many Gritty, Grit, Get Gritty signs will we see in the stands?

1.  Hasn't changed in last 3 games, (will it Tuesday?)
2.  Bradley has only won 2 of 7 games since Dec.1 (don't let that fool anybody)
3.  I believe students are back can we surpass last weeks home game crowd of 3,818?
4.  Valpo has won all but 1 game when completing over 30% 3's (exception, lost to WV @ 45%) - Lost all games when under 30% (exception, win to UNLV 27%)  Averaging 33% 3 pt % on the road and at home.
5.  Make those signs vibrant and bright (gold and brown) so I can see them on TV!!! 
Shine on Vu

M

1. Same, why change it?
2. 76-71 Victory
3. 3200
4. Over
5. Hopefully just the one - don't be a follower let the original reign!

VU2014

I'm going to add #6. This is the first game the students will be back on campus. Something to keep in mind is Greek Life recruitment will have begun, particularly for sororities.

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 06, 2019, 04:12:11 PM
6: What will student attendance look like? (% full student section)

VUGrad1314

They should recruit at games. Let them have time/tables before at halftime and after the games to do their recruiting/fundraising/events/whatever they need to do.

VUGrad1314

I'm hoping for a massive crowd. Like near sellout. 4000+. Come on students and community. Show up and support this team! They've earned it! They need you!

VU2014

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 06, 2019, 04:12:11 PM
6: What will student attendance look like? (% full student section)

1. Same for the last 2 games. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.
2. 64-61 Valpo win, I'm not feeling very confident about us winning because we haven't played well at home this season and Bradley's defense is tough. I'm a little worried about us scoring if we aren't shooting well from 3. Bradley could certainly walk into the ARC and pick up the W if we don't show up to play.
3. 3,150
4. 33.3%
5. 2
6. 70%

VU2014

Well let's hope Valpo can cheer some folks up on Tuesday after that Bears loss.

VUGrad1314

I think some of you are being overly conservative with your attendance guesses. In light of the buzzer beater and the performance against Missouri State anything less than the Illinois State number which was also a midweek game would be a massive disappointment and the community would be the ones to blame.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on January 06, 2019, 04:38:59 PMI'm going to add #6. This is the first game the students will be back on campus. Something to keep in mind is Greek Life recruitment will have begun, particularly for sororities.
Quote from: VALPO LI on January 06, 2019, 04:12:11 PM1:  Valpo starting line up? 2:  Final Score? 3:  Attendance? 4:  3 point percentage for Valpo? Over/Under 30%? 5: How many Gritty, Grit, Get Gritty signs will we see in the stands? 6: What will student attendance look like? (% full student section)

My Gritty sign was going to be a one and done, But I guess I'll bring it back at least one more time. It would be awesome if a few more showed up. It would be even more awesome if the crowd would also chant  "We are Gritty (stomp) (stomp) (stomp)" with me. (Stomp)  = stomping your feet or kicking the bleachers.

We have been moaning about game day experience and atmosphere being dull and drab. It's not much and won't change anything dramatically but it might be little fun to make a CHANT that is totally ours. I figure if no one else is going to try to spice things up, why not me (or us) try something.

So is anyone else up to it, or are you going to leave me hanging all by myself.

I for one plan on having a little fun with this, even if  I get a little embarrassed.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 06, 2019, 07:44:27 PM

Quote from: VU2014 on January 06, 2019, 04:38:59 PMI'm going to add #6. This is the first game the students will be back on campus. Something to keep in mind is Greek Life recruitment will have begun, particularly for sororities.
Quote from: VALPO LI on January 06, 2019, 04:12:11 PM1:  Valpo starting line up? 2:  Final Score? 3:  Attendance? 4:  3 point percentage for Valpo? Over/Under 30%? 5: How many Gritty, Grit, Get Gritty signs will we see in the stands? 6: What will student attendance look like? (% full student section)

My Gritty sign was going to be a one and done, But I guess I'll bring it back at least one more time. It would be awesome if a few more showed up. It would be even more awesome if the crowd would also chant  "We are Gritty (stomp) (stomp) (stomp)" with me. (Stomp)  = stomping your feet or kicking the bleachers.

We have been moaning about game day experience and atmosphere being dull and drab. It's not much and won't change anything dramatically but it might be little fun to make a CHANT that is totally ours. I figure if no one else is going to try to spice things up, why not me (or us) try something.

So is anyone else up to it, or are you going to leave me hanging all by myself.

I for one plan on having a little fun with this, even if  I get a little embarrassed.

haha I'll look for you on the ESPN feed!!! Best of luck!

M

Go all out and paint Gritty on your chest. When the team needs a big boost (or the opponent needs to be distracted while at the line) that shirt comes off and GRITTY appears.

valpopal

Quote from: M on January 06, 2019, 08:50:01 PM
Go all out and paint Gritty on your chest. When the team needs a big boost (or the opponent needs to be distracted while at the line) that shirt comes off and GRITTY appears.

Be like Puddy and paint your face: "You gotta support the team!"

usc4valpo

I really wish the frat and sorority system would assimilate their events with the basketball team rather than making it a bogus excuse for low attendance.

valpotx

1:  Same
2:  Valpo 68 | Bradley 62
3:  3,450
4:  36.4% (8/22)
5: 1
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 06, 2019, 07:42:10 PM
I think some of you are being overly conservative with your attendance guesses. In light of the buzzer beater and the performance against Missouri State anything less than the Illinois State number which was also a midweek game would be a massive disappointment and the community would be the ones to blame.

In that case I'll say 2,949

There seems to be nothing like the Valpo community to let down the VUMBB team with their midweek attendance. Expect massive disappointment.

valpo84

As mentioned Valpo needs to contain Brown.  He reminded me of Loyd.  Powerful body at about 5'8".  He was able to breakdown ISUb's defense and score and/or get fouled down the stretch.  May want to zone him a bit to keep him from driving lane.  Valpo also has to reduce empty possessions.  Need to make sure ball is moving vertically as well as horizontally. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

SanityLost17

They lost at Indiana State (road game) because the refs called a tight game that gave ISU 40 free throw attempts.   AKA--  Bradley plays super aggressive defense.   If we get refs that let the kids play we may be in for a rough night because we have trouble scoring against a good defense.   

That said our defense has been better lately too and Bradley has struggled even more than we have at getting the ball in the bucket.   

I think this will be an ugly low scoring game with both teams struggling to score and it may just come down to who can hit their free throws. 

oklahomamick

Wardle's teams are notorious for fouling.  Not a big fan of Wardle.  Hope he finds some ice to slip on while in Valpo.   
CRUSADERS!!!

sliman

Quote:  My Gritty sign was going to be a one and done, But I guess I'll bring it back at least one more time. It would be awesome if a few more showed up. It would be even more awesome if the crowd would also chant  "We are Gritty (stomp) (stomp) (stomp)" with me. (Stomp)  = stomping your feet or kicking the bleachers.

I appreciate VUBB's commitment and willingness to be a sign bearer.  Perhaps we can also help by chanting "Let's Get Gritty" when the team needs a reminder.  Instead of Let's Go Valpo, it becomes Let's Get Gritty.

Valpo89

Kids are back in school. Not as easy to keep them out past 9 on a school night.
If attendance is over 3,000 that has to be considered decent.

VULB#62

What, only three days into the new semester?  They probably haven't even gone to all their classes yet!

VUGrad1314

He's talking about the families in the community outside the university. Personally I think it's a bit of a poor potential excuse. The games don't end THAT late.

justducky

I'll say 2830. With 5 minutes remaining against Illinois St I was close to marching out and writing off our MVC prospects and only 45 minutes of play have passed since. If we can somehow win 2 of the next 3 (Bradley, at SIU, at Loyola) it should sink in that we are a good team in a better league.