• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Valpofamfan

Looks like Steven Helm has put his name in the transfer portal too

bb33

and. Sigurd Lorange

Over 300 names in the portal.

crusader05

Neither of those two surprise me. Siggy  just isn't going to get the minutes. Steve doesn't have a scholarship here so why not throw your name out there and see if someone bites. I wonder this year too if we see a lot more people who look to transfer but don't have options.

bb33

It's a huge gamble, in my opinion.  Grass is not always greener.

crusader05

Yeah it's always a gamble for sure. But it's not like Siggy got much playing time here and Steve loses nothing really. He's a walk-on not paying anything to go to school here.

IndyValpo

Quote from: crusader05 on March 09, 2021, 05:44:55 PM
Neither of those two surprise me. Siggy  just isn't going to get the minutes. Steve doesn't have a scholarship here so why not throw your name out there and see if someone bites. I wonder this year too if we see a lot more people who look to transfer but don't have options.
Both of these guys need to step down a level if they want real playing time.

RS

Speaking of transfers ... Indiana State has 2 of their top sophomores on the portal ... Jake LaRavia and Tre Williams plus 2 more. That hurts. Did see an interesting name on the list ... Jimmy Boeheim a 6'8 power forward from Cornell who was leading scorer, a Senior graduate transfer.  Averaged 16.7 a game. He would be worth a look see.

VU2014

Heard a name we're potentially recruiting, Kevionn Taylor. Grad transfer non-D1 out of Winona-state. Not sure how serious the interest is. He's a 6-5 wing.

valpotx

Good for Helm and Siggy.  They deserve to see if they can get any bites elsewhere.  It would be tough if ISUb loses LaRavia and/or Williams.  Unfortunately, that is what the transfer system has become.  Go to a mid-major to get playing time, and see if you get any interest from a P5 after playing 1-2 seasons.  If it were me, I would take it as a slight that they never looked at me in the first place, and want to beat those schools.  To each, their own.
"Don't mess with Texas"

cmack

Certainly the ISUb transfers are in no small part driven by their coach getting let go. 

I feel like using a perceived slight by power 5 teams during your recruiting is a poor reason to limit your professional basketball opportunities.  If I knew I was not heading to the NBA, but that snagging 15 minutes a game at Clemson would net me $50k more in a Greek league versus playing in Puerto Rico? Yeah I'll take that. 

I don't think we always put ourselves in the shoes of the athlete.  They are making decisions based on a lot more factors than who sent them a pamphlet when they were 17. 

vu72

ISU up to four in the portal. No shock about Siggy or Steve.  I wouldn't be shocked in Daniel enters either.  We have a LOAD of talent entering in this new class and its all on the perimeter.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

Big Hit Clay just put his name in the Transfer Portal
https://twitter.com/DonovanClay11/status/1369712031570538496

elephtheria47

Next to announce: D. Clay.

M

Will miss his defensive flexibility, won't miss his 20% 3 point shooting or 2+ turnovers per game.  Best of luck to him, and lets find an upgrade.

vu72

Didn't see that coming.  But perhaps it opens us up to picking up a power forward or center.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

I know some will shrug this off due to his regression this year and his dad's Twitter account. But man, this just can't keep happening year after year after year. As PO eluded to, experience matters in this conference. And Clay is basically a two year starter with 50 games under his belt.

That being said this is the nature of the D1 game right now. But we absolutely CANNOT lose another key contributor between now and next season. 

bb33

I'm pretty sure Clay is being courted by P5 teams.  He may come off the bench for them. I wish him the best.

It's so hard for Valpo, a small private school, to compete with the big conferences in terms of facilities, funding, and other benefits.  Let's hope we find some quality replacements to supplement what we have. 

Hopefully this is it.  Goodness if he stays could be a pivotal player.  He stated on his Twitter page that h just wants to play.  Now that Clay is gone, his opportunities have grown exponentially.

VU2014

Felt like this has been in the works for awhile. Had a disappointing offensive season and I don't think he or his Dad were happy that he wasn't a feature of the offense like Krikke was this past season. Combine that middling finish in the standings it felt like a real possibility.

It so damn hard build rosters that grow together in college basketball these days. Donovan is making a decision that he thinks is best for him and I can't fault that but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed...

vu72

His numbers had regressed so probably dad thought he needed different coaching.  This is the reason why you'll never see a mid-major redshirt anybody.

WELCOME TO THE PRISON COLONY OF MID-MAJOR BASKETBALL, WHOSE PRISONER YOU ARE AND FROM WHICH THERE IS NO ESCAPE.

VUGrad1314

Ughhhh... I mean we could all see this coming but still... What is the point of Matt's supposed recruiting chops if he can't keep them once they're here? What value has Matt Lottich honestly brought to this program? Without Clay we're going to be in  for yet ANOTHER inconsistent mediocre year with a "young team." We're always a young team because he can never keep anybody more than like two years! This NEVER happened under the Drews. I'm not there yet but I'm getting close to being a permanent member of the Fire Lottich faction...

Valpofamfan

I know this is difficult but we need to try to prioritise recruiting guys who want to be a student at valpo as well as to play on the basketball team. Given how easy it is to transfer now, no wonder we keep losing guys who have, from an outsider's point of view, little affinity to valpo outside of sport and basketball. I would be interested to see the statistics of how many of our recent impact non-grad transfers were kiniseology/sports management majors.

elephtheria47

That's unfair of Lottich, as the college environment has changed so much since the Drews.

Even though we are struggling right now, it's why it was so important to bump up to the Missouri Valley. The Valley still has bright lights and can offer an avenue the majority of players are looking for (TV games, professional opportunities). Hoping Drake can squeeze their way into NCAAT this year too...Look at how few conferences are getting two or more into the NCAAT anymore. At least being in the MVC, we can get transfers transferring up and down (while also being able to lose players up and down). We just need to make it a point of getting into the top tier and then consistently staying there.

It's the new reality, and who can blame them when coaches could always move year to year but the players couldn't. It allows for more flexibility to fix your weak spots but also tougher to "build your team". I like D. Clay and was excited to see his potential. But, now that he put his name in the portal, there's nothing to make me believe that we can't recruit someone equally as talented. The first two made sense. Clay is disappointing, but it's not the falling of the sky.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 10, 2021, 01:01:10 PM
Ughhhh... I mean we could all see this coming but still... What is the point of Matt's supposed recruiting chops if he can't keep them once they're here? What value has Matt Lottich honestly brought to this program? Without Clay we're going to be in  for yet ANOTHER inconsistent mediocre year with a "young team." We're always a young team because he can never keep anybody more than like two years! This NEVER happened under the Drews. I'm not there yet but I'm getting close to being a permanent member of the Fire Lottich faction...

Not sure it would help.  In the last 9 years transfers have gone from 577 to 1030 and we are already over 300 now. Homer's last season 2010-2011 if I'm not mistaken so maybe there were a couple of hundred transfers his last year.  We scout out underrecruited talent and hope their heads or their manager's head isn't too big.  Thank goodness we're got big shooters coming in.  That may have played a role as well.  He knows he's got a shooting problem and when your bringing in guys as tall who can shoot, finally your playing time goes down and so does your chance to be "the star".

IndyEIT777

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 10, 2021, 01:01:10 PM

I think regardless of who leaves and comes to this team next year, next season needs to be (for me at least) the final chance for Lottich. He'll have had 5 recruiting classes/offseasons to get the team he wants assembled. We have nothing but one lucky run to the conference finals to show for it. I'm glad we're in the Missouri Valley as the competition level as well as the perception of this league vs. the Horizon League is higher, but we need a coach that can not only recruit at this level, but retain his guys as well as be an X's and O's guy. I know everyone is going to say Lottich is locked in til the end of his contract, but I'm at the point of calling on Lottich being fired if the team doesn't show the needed progress next season. For me, that means at the very least a top 4 seed in the MVC as well as a postseason tournament appearance.