• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Great News!!!

Started by ValpoHoops, March 14, 2013, 12:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

Saw this on Andy Katz's (ESPN) blog today:

QuoteDrew family gets some very good news

Homer Drew was resting his aching left knee Wednesday, fresh off arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus suffered while playing with his grandchildren.

He had a piece of the Valparaiso net with him at home, a symbol of the first Crusader NCAA berth since 2004 and a gesture by his son Bryce that meant even more than anyone could value.

Within the past week, the Drew family received the most wonderful news that they have longed for since their world was rocked in October 2011.

"Janet is cancer-free," said Drew in his comforting Midwestern tone. "We've got to get to the next six months to get to the year mark.''

Janet and Homer Drew received cancer diagnoses within a week of each other. Homer's was prostate cancer. Janet's bladder cancer was much more serious, which led to a number of complications and multiple surgeries. But she has rallied the past year. I spent days with the Drew family in late 2011 and shared their story with ESPN.com. I'm not sure I've been around a more positive family going through such an ordeal.
(Emphasis added)

Forget the NCAA, forget the HL Championship, this is the best news anyone in the Drew family could get. Family is so much more important that basketball in the grand scheme and this is certainly news we've all been waiting to hear.

Continued prayers to the Drew family...and anyone else who may need them (I happen to be a Catholic...this is certainly a time of great prayer for us).

The full blog post is below:
es.pn/WcChwW

crusaderjoe

Good post.  Basketball is really incidental in the whole scheme of things.

You're a Catholic? I never knew that.  Your posting and moderating credibility has increased exponentially.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 14, 2013, 08:29:27 AMYou're a Catholic? I never knew that.  Your posting and moderating credibility has increased exponentially.

:)

let's hear it for Lutheran-Catholic dialogue!

although Mel Piehl set it back this morning, why would a paper expect him to be an expert on the papacy anyway?
Quote"Nevertheless, it still is a dramatic breakthrough in that regard," Piehl said. "There's never been a pope from outside of Europe."
http://www.nwitimes.com/region-reacts-to-new-pope-selection/article_3e4fbc32-02b7-5152-91ef-55baf70385c8.html

whoops.  for instance:
1) Saint Peter, f'r instance,: Bethsaida, (33 – 64 A.D.)
2) Pope Saint Evaristus: Bethlehem (97 – 105)
3) Pope Saint Anicetus: Emesa, Syria (155 – 166)
4) Pope Saint Victor I: Leptis Magna, today Libya (189 – 199)
5) Pope Saint Miltiades: North Africa (311 – 314)
6) Pope Theodore I: Jerusalem (642 – 649)
7) Pope John V: Antioch (685 –686)
8) Pope Sisinnius: Syria (708)
9) Pope Constantine: Syria (708 – 715)
10) Pope Gregory III: Syria (731 – 741)

there are probably more...so back to the topic: HOORAY FOR CANCER-FREE!  keep praying!!!

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 14, 2013, 09:06:09 AMBasketball is really incidental in the whole scheme of things.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 15, 2013, 07:19:09 AM

Caddyshack - Are you Roman Catholic? Sorry, you cant come

That's hilarious.  I don't remember that (kind of a throwaway line).

If you have seen Jetz' signature, you'll know he appreciates that movie too :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

http://archive.catholicherald.co.uk/article/24th-april-1981/2/lutheran-attack-on-arrogant-catholics

1981, hmmmmmmm.

When the government won't let you build new church buildings then takeover the Lutherans' churches. That's the ticket. There aren't enough Lutherans in Poland anyway. What Lutheran would be caught being Polish?  :-\

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 14, 2013, 09:06:09 AM
:) let's hear it for Lutheran-Catholic dialogue!

I am Catholic and married a Lutheran  :o   ;D
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 16, 2013, 08:47:09 AMI am Catholic and married a Lutheran

my mother's great line (a Catholic):

"i grew up in New York City and so I thought I knew what a mixed marriage was. 
Then I move out to Valparaiso, Indiana, to find that it means ELCA--Missouri Synod!"

:D