• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Craig Hodges

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 22, 2013, 09:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo84 on April 22, 2013, 09:08:17 AMAnd to think we generally remember Craig Hodges for his ignominious record as head coach at Chicago State...
or for
QuoteWhen the Chicago Bulls visited the White House after winning the 1992 NBA Championship, Hodges dressed in a dashiki and delivered a hand-written letter addressed to then President George H. W. Bush, expressing his discontent at the administration's treatment of the poor and minorities.[15]
Hodges also criticized his Bulls teammate Michael Jordan for not using his fame to draw attention to social and political issues, and said Jordan was "bailing out" for not being politically outspoken.[16]
In 1996, Hodges filed a $40 million lawsuit against the NBA and its then 29 teams, claiming they blackballed him for his association with Louis Farrakhan and criticism of "African-American professional athletes who failed to use their considerable wealth and influence to assist the poor and disenfranchised."[12] After he was waived by the Bulls in 1992, he did not receive an offer or a tryout from a single NBA team, even though he was only 32 years old and still able to contribute to contenders. The lawsuit claimed that Bulls assistant coach Jim Cleamons told him that the team was troubled by his criticism of players' lack of involvement in inner-city communities.[15] The suit also claimed Billy McKinney, the director of player personnel for the Seattle SuperSonics initially showed interest in Hodges in 1992, and then shortly after backed away, telling Hodges he could do nothing because "brothers have families, if you know what I mean." While a Bulls official said Hodges was waived as he was getting old and could not play defense, head coach Phil Jackson said, "I also found it strange that not a single team called to inquire about him. Usually, I get at least one call about a player we've decided not to sign. And yes, he couldn't play much defense, but a lot of guys in the league can't, but not many can shoot from his range, either."[12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Hodges
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

I recall Craig Hodges more for his streak of winning the 3-point contest at NBA All Star Weekend, back when the event was watchable.

wh

The Bulls were under no obligation to keep Hodges around if they thought his actions reflected badly on the organization.  By the same token, other NBA teams were under no obligation to hire him if they had the same concern.   

There is no such thing as freedom of speech without consequences.

valpotx

Dang, never knew about these issues with Hodges.  I was 11 years old in 1992, and I loved watching that guy shoot 3s, even though he was not a Maverick.  I just lost any respect I had for him as a pre-teen  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

Yeah... Jason Kidd(wife beater), Kobe Bryant(accused rapist), Chris Andersen(banned for substance abuse), Ruben Patterson(sex offender), Ron Artest(wife beater), Dennis Rodman(pick one), Latrell Sprewell(choked his coach), Gil Arenas(firearms in the locker room), countless other drug offenders are cool to give second chances to , but a 32 year old Black man concerned about his people is just a bad reflection on the league.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 22, 2013, 11:58:12 AMa 32 year old Black man concerned about his people is just a bad reflection on the league.
game, set, and match
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 22, 2013, 12:13:54 PM
Quote from: hoopfan22 on April 22, 2013, 11:58:12 AMa 32 year old Black man concerned about his people is just a bad reflection on the league.
game, set, and match

My comment was made in regards to him associating with Farrakhan.  I don't respect anyone that associates with that guy
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Ty
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 22, 2013, 12:13:54 PM
game, set, and match

Complete mischaracterization of the facts.  He wasn't fired for his concern for "his" people.  He was fired because he publically defamed a fellow employee, who happened to also be the greatest ambassador for the NBA at the time.  He's fortunate he didn't get sued for slander.

hoopfan22

Oh my mistake. Sorry he called out the womanizing, notorious gambling, teammate punching, all around a-hole.

valporun

Yeah, one usually isn't looked upon fondly, when attacking the face of the league, at that time, and expecting to get away with it. The NBA needs some real cleaning up, but no one wants to do it.

VU75

If I remember right the folks at Chicago State were less then happy to find out that during the season their head coach had gone to a tryout for a CBA team.

wh

Michael Jordan and Craig Hodges lived on two different planets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAr6oAKieHk&feature=player_embedded

One year Jordan lobbied to keep Hodges, which extended his career and enabled him to make more money than someone with his abilities ever would have otherwise. If not for Michael, no one would even know who Craig Hodges is.  And yet, Hodges for some reason thinks it's his responsibility to take Michael to task for not doing enough for enough people.  Small people say small things...