• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents Scoreboard 2014-2015 Season

Started by motowntitan, November 02, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Why would both of these teams agree to this game?

It makes no sense to schedule an OOC game in mid-February, right in the middle of the final stretch before conference tournament time, especially for CSU needing to fly to Carolina for the game. This game serves little benefit to schedule, its just to get a game in. Win or lose this game has a bigger opportunity to hurt CSU's chances. CSU risking having a starter injured and possibly miss the rest of the season, if CSU gets blown out it could be a big confidence blow, the added fatigue on the players playing a mid-week game against an unfamiliar foe which takes away from preparing for more important conference games.

This game just does more harm, than good. If they're stuck in Carolina for an extended period of time, this begins to cut into possible practice time as well, and serves as a negative distraction of the team. Travelling is stressful, travelling in poor winter weather certainly doesn't help.

talksalot

Didn't Valpo have a similar situation with (Norfolk State?) a few years ago?  and We bought out the game so we would not have to travel. 

wh

I see that Waters (Kent) and Hunter (Ohio) coached against each other for several years while both were in the MAC.  Could it be that 1 old friend calls the other and says
W-I'm in a dogfight for the conf championship. Could we figure out a way to cancel, and I'll make it up to you later? 
H- Sure, the weather?
W- Sounds good.
H- Ok, call my AD and let him know you can't possibly make it down here. Don't tell you talked to me.
W- Good. Later...

vu72

Huge game at GB tonight.  Need Detroit to pull the upset.  Athletically they match up well.  A GB loss would sure help!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on February 18, 2015, 04:21:06 PM
Huge game at GB tonight.  Need Detroit to pull the upset.  Athletically they match up well.  A GB loss would sure help!

Yes, yes it would.

classof2014

I believe I read somewhere Sykes is questionable for this game. If he's out I like Detroit's chances.

historyman

Watching the Wright St/Oakland game at the Nutter you notice 2 important things. The Raiders don't play good defense against teams with a height advantage. The combination of Arcenaux(sp?), Hopkins and Benzinger is really beneficial for Grant B getting open for shots.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 18, 2015, 04:21:06 PM

Juwan to know Howard they do it? It might actually be all about Hogan being the Hero.

BTW, Sykes playing but has hand and forehead bandaged.

bbtds

Interesting that Enes Kanter's brother plays for the Phoenix. There are rumors the Utah player might be coming to the Bucks. If the Turkish player comes to the Bucks his brother, Kerem, would be so excited he would $h!t his pants. (p)oops!

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on February 18, 2015, 07:18:30 PMBTW, Sykes playing but has hand and forehead bandaged.

Went for 23 points, 8 assists, in 38 minutes.  3-6 from downtown.  I guess he's doing OK.

wh

Friday night's game between GB and CSU will go a long way toward determining final standings and seeding for the tournament.  This is the way I see things shaking out (assuming no one loses to anyone below the top 4):

---Whichever team loses Friday will be 2 games behind Valpo and basically out of the running for the #1 seed
---If CSU wins this Friday and beats us next Friday, CSU will have the tiebreaker over us for the No.1 seed based on having swept GB.
---If GB wins Friday and CSU beats us next Friday, GB will have the tiebreaker over us for the No.1 seed based on a better RPI.
---We can get the No.1 seed in 1 of 2 ways: (1) win out, or (2) lose to CSU, and Oakland beats GB, and GB beats CSU.
---The good news is we cannot get worse than the No.2 seed and a double bye, assuming we beat Wright State and Detroit.

Hopefully, we just take care of business these last 3 games and render all of this meaningless.

oklahomamick

When was the last time we won in Cleveland?
Detroit athletism is dangerous and on home court. 
Wsu at home on senior night should not be an issue. 

Worst case scenario, we lose to an athletic Detroit team and at CSU.  There's a chance we tie with Oakland with them holding the tie breaker because they swept Green Bay.  That would put us at the 5th seed? Crazy and a disaster but very well could happen is not inthinkable.  Who have we beat on road in the HL? 

Sorry to be Debbie Downer.
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 19, 2015, 10:35:07 AM
When was the last time we won in Cleveland?
Detroit athletism is dangerous and on home court. 
Wsu at home on senior night should not be an issue. 

Worst case scenario, we lose to an athletic Detroit team and at CSU.  There's a chance we tie with Oakland with them holding the tie breaker because they swept Green Bay.  That would put us at the 5th seed? Crazy and a disaster but very well could happen is not inthinkable.  Who have we beat on road in the HL? 

Sorry to be Debbie Downer.

We've already clinched at least a 4 seed. Detroit has 9 losses with 2 games left.

classof2014

Two years ago we won 80-72 and the year before that we won as well 59-41

So two out of the last 3 seasons we've swept the season series.

talksalot

This team does have a chance to make (more) history next Friday... (opposite of Debbie Downer).... "The Horizon League Road Game Ohio Sweep"...

2007-08 - We Beat  WSU, YSU       Lost to CSU
2008-09 - We Beat YSU                 Lost to WSU, CSU
2009-10 - We Beat WSU, YSU        Lost to CSU
2010-11 - We Beat WSU, YSU        Lost to CSU
2011-12 - We beat CSU                 Lost to WSU, YSU
2012-13 - We Beat CSU, WSU       Lost to YSU
2013-14 - We Beat YSU, WSU        Lost to CSU
2014-15 - We Beat YSU, WSU        ?????

We have yet to win all three Ohio Road Games in HL regular season play.

agibson

Quote from: wh on February 19, 2015, 09:03:50 AM
---If GB wins Friday and CSU beats us next Friday, GB will have the tiebreaker over us for the No.1 seed based on a better RPI.
---We can get the No.1 seed in 1 of 2 ways: (1) win out, or (2) lose to CSU, and Oakland beats GB, and GB beats CSU.

I wonder if CSU losing at Milwaukee might be more likely than Oakland winning at Green Bay?

Hard to know who to root for in the CSU-GB game.

HC

Root for CSU...that way if we happen to get to them still with two loses and they beat us we would still have that double bye.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on February 18, 2015, 07:42:42 PM
Interesting that Enes Kanter's brother plays for the Phoenix. There are rumors the Utah player might be coming to the Bucks. If the Turkish player comes to the Bucks his brother, Kerem, would be so excited he would $h!t his pants. (p)oops!

Enes Kanter ends up going to the Thunder. Kerem Kanter will have to wait till training camp in Green Bay (or whatever) to.............well............you know what.

classof2014

I would say Oakland has a better shot at beating GB than CSU losing at Milwaukee. Oakland can score and GB isn't an offensive juggernaut. Dante Williams is a terrific defender and can shut down Sykes. If Oakland has a good offensive game they can outscore GB. GB's only offensive weapon is Sykes, McKinnie and Mays are capable of having good games but I don't think they can beat a team by themselves.

If you can limit Sykes GB is very beatable. Oakland matches up well with them.

Kyle321n

Quote from: classof2014 on February 20, 2015, 09:02:03 AM
I would say Oakland has a better shot at beating GB than CSU losing at Milwaukee. Oakland can score and GB isn't an offensive juggernaut. Dante Williams is a terrific defender and can shut down Sykes. If Oakland has a good offensive game they can outscore GB. GB's only offensive weapon is Sykes, McKinnie and Mays are capable of having good games but I don't think they can beat a team by themselves.

If you can limit Sykes GB is very beatable. Oakland matches up well with them.

Why not put Williams on Mays and have Felder take on Sykes? I think Felder is long enough to cause trouble for Sykes and faster than Sykes so Sykes can't drive on him easily. Plus Felder has a pretty decent steal rate (2.5%). Only one VU player has a better rate than Felder (TWalker)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Sure would like to hear Wardle talk about there being no pressure on his team going into this Oakland game.

OTOH, maybe the Phoenix players do face more "pressure" during training camp, if you know what I mean.

wh

Reminder: The all-important Green Bay/Cleveland State starts at 6p CT on ESPN 2.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2015, 06:41:08 PM
Who should we be rooting for?

GB all the way.  If CSU wins, barring any upsets the winner of the upcoming CSU/Valpo will win the championship.  If GB wins and then loses to Oakland, we can still win the league with a loss to CSU.  At least that's the way I see it.

oklahomamick

Yes, but if they win tonight and against Oakland then we have to win at CSU anyways. 
CRUSADERS!!!