• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 35 St. Mary's @ the ARC, Tuesday, March 22; time 6PM CST

Started by Kyle321n, March 18, 2016, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkvu

Quote from: valpotx on March 20, 2016, 11:43:37 PM
Quote from: nkvu on March 20, 2016, 08:42:46 PM
St. Mary's reminds me a bit of Wright State in that they are disciplined on both offense and defence. Bigger up front maybe not as athletic but maybe better at sharing the ball and hitting the open shot. Their point guard is sneaky good and makes good decisions when to go to the rack and when to dish. We will have to get out and really defend the three.

This will be a challenge.  I hope the travel, playing at our place before a big crowd, and an "A" game from Valpo will give us the margin we need to win.

I was thinking this same thing when watching the game, that they are a carbon copy of Wright State.  They are very unathletic, but pass the ball well, and hit their open shots despite bad shooting form (several players).  Georgia's big man was awful, otherwise this game would have been a lot closer.  They missed many bunnies, which wasn't due to the defense, but rather just shooting short/wide.  They played all home games out-of-conference, except for one true road game at Cal.  I think that they will have some jet lag, and not hit the open shots in our gym, like they do in their gym.  Their gaudy 51% FG and 41% 3-pt are probably more due to having the vast majority of their games at home....

Valpo 72
St. Mary's 61

Got to say the bad shooting form of foreign players is something I noted way back in 1972 when I played for the Cambridge club team. Yet sometimes it could still be surprisingly effective. Ultimately it is the result that mattered not the form.

wh

I see that e-ticket sales have been stopped. I can't imagine how loud and crazy the ARC is going to be 15 hours from now.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 21, 2016, 05:37:49 PMFor me it will be Wednesday as I am in Shanghai, China, but I finally connected to the interweb out here and caught up on the posts.

Ha Ha, you got shanghaied right when the season got the most interesting!

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 21, 2016, 06:06:09 PMIf we win this game, I am going to the Final Four of the NIT at MSG.  We have an office at 5 Penn Plaza, literally just across the street from MSG.  I can still work each day that way, and attend the games afterwards (assuming that they are at night)

I also have a plan coming together. Although Valpo does need to win first.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Apparently it is a sellout!  Last night when I checked there were less than 300 seats for sale and this morning the site says "not for sale".  Perhaps they leave some for walk-ups, who knows.  It wouldn't surprise me if they bring in bleachers.  The place should be rockin!!  Now win baby win!!  I may try to put together a NYC trip as well!!   :dance:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

The big-attendance Butler games, HL tourney games, etc. included a ton of visitors in the mix. Tonight will be a 5000+ Valpo-only love fest.

SanityLost17

The reason I am worried about this game is that SMC is a great 3 point shooting team.  We win because we force teams to shoot a ton outside shots.  We only lose when they actually hit a decent percentage of them.  In both Wright State games, they hit well above their average in 3 point shooting.  Same with the GB loss.

This will be a 3 point game one way or the other.  Hopefully we come out on top.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2016, 07:46:58 AM
Apparently it is a sellout!  Last night when I checked there were less than 300 seats for sale and this morning the site says "not for sale".  Perhaps they leave some for walk-ups, who knows.  It wouldn't surprise me if they bring in bleachers.  The place should be rockin!!  Now win baby win!!  I may try to put together a NYC trip as well!!   :dance:

When I emailed MLB about adding bleachers, his reply on the bleachers that we brought in for the HLT (remember when it used to be at the #1 seed's arena) were done by a private company, had all the safety railings and were judged too expensive for a couple of NIT games. Little did he know how our making the ¼ finals would change all that.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 22, 2016, 09:01:56 AMWhen I emailed MLB about adding bleachers, his reply on the bleachers that we brought in for the HLT (remember when it used to be at the #1 seed's arena) were done by a private company, had all the safety railings and were judged too expensive for a couple of NIT games. Little did he know how our making the ¼ finals would change all that.

The other issue at hand with that is that the HL originally mandated where bands and students could be located, and our student section didn't fit that mandate. Thus, in order to have one, we had to go to the other end of the arena.

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 22, 2016, 03:03:57 AM
I see that e-ticket sales have been stopped. I can't imagine how loud and crazy the ARC is going to be 15 hours from now.

Apparently just a temporary suspension? They're open again now. With about as many tickets remaining as there were last night. CC is basically gone, BB has just part of a row left. But DD has some selection, and maybe still around 200 in AA.

A handful of seats have opened up downstairs as well. Even one court side!

agibson

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2016, 09:32:19 AM
Quote from: wh on March 22, 2016, 03:03:57 AM

Apparently just a temporary suspension? They're open again now. With about as many tickets remaining as there were last night. CC is basically gone, BB has just part of a row left. But DD has some selection, and maybe still around 200 in AA.

A handful of seats have opened up downstairs as well. Even one court side!

That's odd.  I just did a count and  the five seats that were available in the lower levels are now gone, there are 3 available in CC, 2 in BB, and 6 in DD(all single seats) and 165 in AA.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2016, 09:44:36 AMThat's odd.  I just did a count and  the five seats that were available in the lower levels are now gone, there are 3 available in CC, 2 in BB, and 6 in DD(all single seats) and 165 in AA.

We're getting close. The five downstairs are gone. Eight left across BB, CC, and DD. 70 in AA.

valpo64

As I posted yesterday regarding having the Sinatra rendition of "New York" ready for post game if we win, someone suggest it to "talksalot" and ML..I can hear the crowd singing along with it "Start spreading the news..."

valpo04

valpotx

I am getting excited for this game to be played.  Even though it would be impossible to match the atmosphere when we beat Butler in the HL tourney a few years back, it sounds like it will be close. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

hailcrusaders

Anyone have any speculations as to why this game in particular is selling so fantastically well? St. Mary's is certainly a respectable mid-major, but we've had other quality opponents here before that did not sell out 6 hours before tipoff (New Mexico, St. Louis), especially on a weeknight. Even the Florida State game last week took a walk-up crowd from the LBAA folks to get the upper corners filled.

Could it be the buzz around the NIT? One last chance to see Vashil and Keith Carter in person? The long period of time between last week's win and tonight's game? Maybe even a well-marketed game by the athletics department?
#CrusadersForever

ValpoHoops

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 22, 2016, 02:30:00 PM
Anyone have any speculations as to why this game in particular is selling so fantastically well? St. Mary's is certainly a respectable mid-major, but we've had other quality opponents here before that did not sell out 6 hours before tipoff (New Mexico, St. Louis), especially on a weeknight. Even the Florida State game last week took a walk-up crowd from the LBAA folks to get the upper corners filled.

Could it be the buzz around the NIT? One last chance to see Vashil and Keith Carter in person? The long period of time between last week's win and tonight's game? Maybe even a well-marketed game by the athletics department?

No competition. No high school games. Just this.

valpotx

If you advance to the final 8 of a tournament, it brings out more fans.  As mentioned on another thread, we packed the stands they open up for women's games, when we hosted Houston for the final 8 of the women's NIT.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Clearly the campus and community are excited about this game and probably so because of ESPN and the chance for the team to go to NYC.  As I've stated before, I think the NIT experience has been better for Valpo then perhaps a one win and done experience in the NCAAs.  Why?  Because it has given the community the chance to realize that Valpo does indeed play D1 basketball, at a high level and perhaps next year some of those folks will come out to watch a few additional games.

A few minutes more then 2 hours till tip off, 9 seats available...

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2016, 03:15:55 PM
If you advance to the final 8 of a tournament, it brings out more fans.  As mentioned on another thread, we packed the stands they open up for women's games, when we hosted Houston for the final 8 of the women's NIT.

We were in the final 8 of the women's NIT? I'll have to find that other thread.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2016, 03:54:13 PMA few minutes more then 2 hours till tip off, 9 seats available...

Eight or so between AA and DD, but they did release another 30 in the top of EE, which are available.

Do they just _never_ sell the first three rows (~obstructed view) in the mezzanine? Or maybe they're holding those for walk-ups. It'll be interesting to see what the announced attendance is. And, I'd be fascinated to know if they turn anyone away.

Hopefully they sell the remaining seats, and everything in the student section, and maybe a couple of hundred standing room. And, I suppose I'd be content with the knowledge the last person to come out on the night was the last one we were allowed to let in by the fire code. Want everybody there, and cheering!

agibson

justducky

Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2016, 03:56:46 PMDo they just _never_ sell the first three rows (~obstructed view) in the mezzanine?
They were pre sold for Purdue in 2010 and Butler in Jan of 2011. I believe those were the last tickets released. Those 2 games were complete sellouts prior to game day.