• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #19 UNI at the ARC 1/19/19 3pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 18, 2019, 12:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

I've sat very close to the bench for all 3 home games and see no indication that Gordon is unhappy. He often seems to have a smile on his face. I think he's just a quiet guy who keeps to himself. I think his brother was the same way. He may not be the demonstrative leader type. That's okay we've got a few of those. No worries. Just let Eron get himself acclimated and ready to get buckets next year. I expect he'll be a big part of  next years team.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 20, 2019, 11:25:54 AM
Sadly this was the first game I was able to attend, but I noticed Eron Gordon elects to sit at the end of the bench away from the team.  Even the managers are closer to the team than is Gordon.

By comparison, Robinson is in the thick of things hand slapping and rooting on his teammates.

Clearly I'm reading into things here.  Does anyone more enlightened have a better read on this?

I never really looked at eron's engagement too much on the bench but I've seen him get pretty hyped and excited for his teammates after big plays in the past. Maybe fans who get to the games more then me have a different take. I've heard he's a really good kid.

wh

Sadly this was the first game I was able to attend, but I noticed Eron Gordon elects to sit at the end of the bench away from the team.  Even the managers are closer to the team than is Gordon.

By comparison, Robinson is in the thick of things hand slapping and rooting on his teammates.

Clearly I'm reading into things here.  Does anyone more enlightened have a better read on this?

Eron is highly engaged. He stands with the rest of the team with arms raised on key hoops at crucial times. Watch him in the aftermath of the half court winning shot. He ran out onto the floor, then ran over to the pile and dived in with everyone else. Find him in the video that shows the team circled together at center court after that win. Watch his facial expressions showing total jubilation. He was completely pumped. I can't wait to see him in uniform next year!

VUBBFan

Quote from: wh on January 20, 2019, 01:23:59 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 20, 2019, 11:25:54 AMSadly this was the first game I was able to attend, but I noticed Eron Gordon elects to sit at the end of the bench away from the team.  Even the managers are closer to the team than is Gordon. By comparison, Robinson is in the thick of things hand slapping and rooting on his teammates. Clearly I'm reading into things here.  Does anyone more enlightened have a better read on this?
Eron is highly engaged. He stands with the rest of the team with arms raised on key hoops at crucial times. Watch him in the aftermath of the half court winning shot. He ran out onto the floor, then ran over to the pile and dived in with everyone else. Find him in the video that shows the team circled together at center court after that win. Watch his facial expressions showing total jubilation. He was completely pumped. I can't wait to see him in uniform next year!

I didn't notice him last night, but I seem to remember him reacting and cheering from the bench this year.

Maybe and I have NO CONFIRMATION if he guards Bakari in practice he got the flu bug from him and wanted to be away from everyone. You know it seems the players share everything on this team. ;) 

VUBBFan

crusadermoe

Did any one else catch Coach comments that Derrik has been still growing in the past year?   I'm no doctor, but I did play one on TV.

Is it possible that a lot of his poor defense at Valpo prior to recent few games (maddening slowness to react to plays and move his feet) was partly caused by a late growth spurt.  He has always had nice touch around the basketball and good foot speed for his size.  Maybe the fact that he looked like a bashful slow-reacting 16 year old at times was because his body was still in the growth mode of a 16-year-old?

I don't care what has improved his strength and his play, I just salute him and take back some of my frustrations.  He looked dominant vs UNI and showed some very skillful foot work on a couple of plays. If he can maintain this, look out MVC this year AND NEXT!

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 20, 2019, 02:48:59 PM
Did any one else catch Coach comments that Derrik has been still growing in the past year?   I'm no doctor, but I did play one on TV.

Is it possible that a lot of his poor defense at Valpo prior to recent few games (maddening slowness to react to plays and move his feet) was partly caused by a late growth spurt.  He has always had nice touch around the basketball and good foot speed for his size.  Maybe the fact that he looked like a bashful slow-reacting 16 year old at times was because his body was still in the growth mode of a 16-year-old?

I don't care what has improved his strength and his play, I just salute him and take back some of my frustrations.  He looked dominant vs UNI and showed some very skillful foot work on a couple of plays. If he can maintain this, look out MVC this year AND NEXT!

Could this be a similar reason for Mileek's struggles? He was still growing into his body his freshman year. Mileek has very late growth spurt in high school.

Mileek has a world potential but he just can't stay out of foul trouble. You could tell he's busting his @$$ when he's out there but it's almost like he's too excited or aggressive when he's out there. He's still only a sophomore.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on January 20, 2019, 03:15:25 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on January 20, 2019, 02:48:59 PMDid any one else catch Coach comments that Derrik has been still growing in the past year?   I'm no doctor, but I did play one on TV. Is it possible that a lot of his poor defense at Valpo prior to recent few games (maddening slowness to react to plays and move his feet) was partly caused by a late growth spurt.  He has always had nice touch around the basketball and good foot speed for his size.  Maybe the fact that he looked like a bashful slow-reacting 16 year old at times was because his body was still in the growth mode of a 16-year-old? I don't care what has improved his strength and his play, I just salute him and take back some of my frustrations.  He looked dominant vs UNI and showed some very skillful foot work on a couple of plays. If he can maintain this, look out MVC this year AND NEXT!
Could this be a similar reason for Mileek's struggles? He was still growing into his body his freshman year. Mileek has very late growth spurt in high school. Mileek has a world potential but he just can't stay out of foul trouble. You could tell he's busting his @$$ when he's out there but it's almost like he's too excited or aggressive when he's out there. He's still only a sophomore.

It would be great if Mileek followed Derrik's example and improved as much as he did from sophomore to Junior year. It was frustrating watching Derrik at time last year and now he is dominating. I guess sometimes it takes some players two years to develop. Hoping the best for Mileek because he truly is working hard to get better. Kid with a great attitude.

oklahomamick

With the coaching transition, some things have changed and some things stayed the same.  The home run play will always remain.
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 20, 2019, 04:43:08 PM
With the coaching transition, some things have changed and some things stayed the same.  The home run play will always remain.

We have run that play since the recipient would set shot the ball into a peach basket. Can somebody explain to me why it still works  ???

Pgmado

Two points that should take care of this Eron Gordon thing.

1) He drove on his own to Chicago for the Loyola game. Players sitting out can't travel with the team. He got a ticket and he sat behind the bench and cheered on his teammates throughout the game.

2) That video of me recapping the UNI game...Eron Gordon shot that. I was walking around the ARC looking for a place to set my camera while recording a standup shot and he walked by and asked if I needed anything. I know he's active on social media and has some video skills, so I asked him if he could do me the favor of shooting the standup. He's an excellent guy. I've had a few conversations with him about non-basketball stuff. Looking forward to covering him over the next two years.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Pgmado on January 20, 2019, 06:18:00 PM

Two points that should take care of this Eron Gordon thing.

1) He drove on his own to Chicago for the Loyola game. Players sitting out can't travel with the team. He got a ticket and he sat behind the bench and cheered on his teammates throughout the game.

2) That video of me recapping the UNI game...Eron Gordon shot that. I was walking around the ARC looking for a place to set my camera while recording a standup shot and he walked by and asked if I needed anything. I know he's active on social media and has some video skills, so I asked him if he could do me the favor of shooting the standup. He's an excellent guy. I've had a few conversations with him about non-basketball stuff. Looking forward to covering him over the next two years.

Glad to hear it, these were the type of replies I was searching for.  Thanks all.

valpopal

Just a quick compliment to Athletics on the quality of the Victory Bell replica giveaway at the game. I'm pleased the final score allowed everyone to use their souvenirs!  :thumbsup:

humbleopinion

There used to be a second victory bell that was mounted on a trailer and driven around campus after victories (at least football).  Does that exist anymore?
Beamin' Beacons

M

Agreed, that was the best giveaway that I can remember (sorry Bryce and Homer Bobbleheads).

VU2014

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 20, 2019, 09:46:00 PM
There used to be a second victory bell that was mounted on a trailer and driven around campus after victories (at least football).  Does that exist anymore?

It didn't exist during my time as a student but a really cool idea. Might be worth looking into bringing back.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: justducky on January 20, 2019, 05:18:47 PM

We have run that play since the recipient would set shot the ball into a peach basket. Can somebody explain to me why it still works  ???

It's set up so that if it won't be open, they do something else.

The next time we are in that situation, pay attention to whether or not there is a defender guarding the ball or helping make a 2-on-3 in the backcourt. If that defender is up, we run it. If the person guarding the inbounder is back near half-court, we simply set screens to get open.

The reason it looks like it always work is because whether or not we run it is dependent on the defense.  If guarded a certain way (which everyone seems to do when they are desperate), it will always be there.

FWalum

As ValpoHoops said several factors dictate if the longer pass option is even looked for, there are also several variations or looks to "the play".
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: ValpoHoops on January 21, 2019, 03:21:52 AM
Quote from: justducky on January 20, 2019, 05:18:47 PM

It's set up so that if it won't be open, they do something else.

The next time we are in that situation, pay attention to whether or not there is a defender guarding the ball or helping make a 2-on-3 in the backcourt. If that defender is up, we run it. If the person guarding the inbounder is back near half-court, we simply set screens to get open.

The reason it looks like it always work is because whether or not we run it is dependent on the defense.  If guarded a certain way (which everyone seems to do when they are desperate), it will always be there.

It is amazing to me that I cannot recall anyone ever running the play against us.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

I will never get tired of watching that play work perfectly!  Does anyone have an update on Ryan's ankle?  I saw he was still in a boot Saturday. 

ValpoHoops

Quote from: valpolaw on January 21, 2019, 08:21:30 AM
I will never get tired of watching that play work perfectly!  Does anyone have an update on Ryan's ankle?  I saw he was still in a boot Saturday. 

No update, but the boot is likely just precautionary at this point. I've had players walking around with boots on both feet for months at a time and never miss game time.

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on January 21, 2019, 07:26:37 AM
As ValpoHoops said several factors dictate if the longer pass option is even looked for, there are also several variations or looks to "the play".

Thanks guys.  :thumbsup: During the course of an average season it seems like we will run it to perfection 4 or 5 times and I might only see others try it once or twice. Do other coaches view this as a high risk option thus choosing to play more conservatively? We also seem to almost never see it run against us. Is that because of our press alignment or because of our intimate understanding of the triggers and options?

may know

Can't put a price on that giveaway.

And props to whoever is destroying UNI Big Mouth on MVC site.

wh

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 19, 2019, 06:59:26 PM
Home run to Javon!!! :cheers:

https://twitter.com/FSIndiana/status/1086759679470911489

A.J. Green was the defender on Javon on that play. As Javon first begins his sprint to the other end, Green was right behind him. Notice that Bakari spreads his right leg out wide as Javon goes flying by, which slows Green up just enough to give Javon the separation he needs to get a comfortable lead. The rest is history.

Now consider this. Of the 5 Valpo players in the game, Javon is the most likely player to foul and put on the line. Green only had 1 foul at that point, so he's who UNI would want to commit the foul, thus they put him on Javon. UNI's other strategy would be to guard Valpo's other 4 players like glue while slacking off on Javon ever so slightly to force the inbounds pass to be thrown into him. But, instead of going towards the ball, Javon turns and sprints the other direction, catching everyone off guard. In essence, the last guy UNI thought Valpo wanted to throw the ball into was, in fact, Valpo's first Option. A lot of chess going on on that play, with the end result being UNI getting schooled.