• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2021-2022

Started by wh, June 25, 2021, 04:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 20, 2021, 01:53:02 PM
Why should anyone who has been fully vaccinated be fearful of being around anyone who is unvaccinated?

You may recall that Covid killed a fully-vaccinated Colin Powell.  I wasn't a math major, but I know that 95% effective is very different from 100% effective
Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Why should anyone who has been fully vaccinated be fearful of being around anyone who is unvaccinated?

We aren't but because we can carry and spread we are exercising cautions to benefit the bigger picture. I still think that a major risk to my health is waiting for a hospital bed while needing to address a non covid issue.

Just Sayin

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 20, 2021, 02:14:46 PM

You may recall that Covid killed a fully-vaccinated Colin Powell.  I wasn't a math major, but I know that 95% effective is very different from 100% effective

Some people who are vaccinated for the flu also die from catching the flu. Odds of death for flu and COVID are about the same.

Just Sayin

Follow the science.

crusader05

I know there's no talking to people who refuse to acknowledge facts but if COVID was like the flu we wouldn't have 800,000 deaths in this country. I'm sorry that it is hard and inconvenient and scary. But the history of the world has been full of hard times that have made things difficult for people and denying them and pretending everyone is lying to you is a child's way of handling tough information. Consider this my only post and I'm not responding cause this isn't a politics board but I'm tired this seeping into the main board.

justducky

Turns out I will not make tonight's game vs EM.  :'(  I'm thinking I have a greater chance of dying from basketball withdrawal than covid but both can have miserable effects on the body and mind.

Quote from: crusader05 on December 20, 2021, 04:01:12 PMI know there's no talking to people who refuse to acknowledge facts but if COVID was like the flu we wouldn't have 800,000 deaths in this country.

Just Sayin seems to have come a considerable distance from some of his original positions.  :o I like that and have chosen to avoid some good arguments that I could make but won't. We all learn from talking to each other so lets keep talking.

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on December 20, 2021, 05:07:59 PM
Turns out I will not make tonight's game vs EM.  :'(  I'm thinking I have a greater chance of dying from basketball withdrawal than covid but both can have miserable effects on the body and mind.

Quote from: crusader05 on December 20, 2021, 04:01:12 PMI know there's no talking to people who refuse to acknowledge facts but if COVID was like the flu we wouldn't have 800,000 deaths in this country.

Just Sayin seems to have come a considerable distance from some of his original positions.  :o I like that and have chosen to avoid some good arguments that I could make but won't. We all learn from talking to each other so lets keep talking.

I haven't changed my original positions. You just don't understand the whole story. What positions have I changed?
There is a difference between the flu and the COVID only because the flu has been around for a long time and people have been taking flu shots for decades. Yes, when you don't have a vaccine, you lose lots of people at first but after the vaccine, you don't. That's just about where we are now, not quite.  The CDC says the survival rate NOW is over 99% for the vast majority of people. FACT. SCIENCE. We are not now where we were when the virus came to America. And yes, over 800,000 died. But that was then and things have changed dramatically. Quit looking in the rear view mirror. We've come a long way baby. We ain't done, but COVID is probably always going to be with us just as the common flu is always going to be with us. But all of this irrational fear leading to shut-downs and basketball games getting canceled is asinine and unsustainable. Let's get on with our lives people.

Valpo2010

I think I must be lost...I was looking for a thread to talk about Valpo basketball...guess I'm in the wrong place...

Just Sayin

This issue does affect Valpo basketball.

Valpo2010

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 20, 2021, 05:53:11 PM

Read the 10 or so posts before mine...this board has turned in to a place to spew political talking points, not exactly what I call engaging basketball discussion...

Just Sayin

Quote from: Valpo2010 on December 20, 2021, 05:57:05 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 20, 2021, 05:53:11 PM

Read the 10 or so posts before mine...this board has turned in to a place to spew political talking points, not exactly what I call engaging basketball discussion...

Covid affects college basketball. Masks? Cancelled games? Hysteria?
This is a legitimate topic of discussion for Valpo Basketball whether you like the arguments presented or not.

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 20, 2021, 05:27:56 PMI haven't changed my original positions. You just don't understand the whole story. What positions have I changed?

Alright! That is exactly the response I wanted so chalk up another success for the duckster! You have to prove me wrong not the other way around. This is not a gentleman's game so you aren't the only one who can pull crap out of context!  ;)  Besides that I always pick my spots and words carefully while you post endlessly about well who knows what because nobody wants to read it. :)

Just take it as an honor for me to insult you and meanwhile we should mutually enjoy our big comeback against Eastern Michigan!

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on December 20, 2021, 08:26:07 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 20, 2021, 05:27:56 PMI haven't changed my original positions. You just don't understand the whole story. What positions have I changed?

Alright! That is exactly the response I wanted so chalk up another success for the duckster! You have to prove me wrong not the other way around. This is not a gentleman's game so you aren't the only one who can pull crap out of context!  ;)  Besides that I always pick my spots and words carefully while you post endlessly about well who knows what because nobody wants to read it. :)

Just take it as an honor for me to insult you and meanwhile we should mutually enjoy our big comeback against Eastern Michigan!

I knew you couldn't provide evidence that I changed my mind. So you are making a baseless claim where the burden was on you to show me what I've said before that is different from what I'm saying now. You can't.
Keep just making  :censored: up. You are good at it. Put up or shut up.

VU2022

Requiring masks at Valpo athletic events is an extremely bad decision by the school. It does not make a lot of sense given that 98% of the student population is vaccinated AND the booster shot is required for students for the spring 2022 semester. Not only that, but it will crater the attendance to school athletic events, since the people who are already COVID cautious are not showing up anyways and none of the students who attend athletic events will want the hassle of having to wear a mask. I for one will not be attending any more athletic events until the mask requirement is lifted.

DuneHwx

It's possible that someday Covid may be a manageable inconvenience, but given the rising numbers and the strain on the health system a mask seems an easy and effective mitigation. If wearing a mask helps even one person stay alive it seems worth it to me. It's not that hard.

Valpofamfan

Did anyone else watch the women's game and notice that when they panned to the group of 3 players (who admittedly had lots of space around them) and when lottich was in the background surrounded by others, none of them were wearing their masks?

I really hope we don't have an outbreak

humbleopinion

From NWI Times:

MVC shifts dates for Valpo men's basketball:

The Missouri Valley Conference has announced a number of schedule changes, including date shifts for a pair of Valparaiso University men's basketball contests. Valpo's game at Southern Illinois, which was originally scheduled for Jan. 29, has been bumped to Jan. 30 at 4 p.m. The game vs. Evansville at the Athletics-Recreation Center originally scheduled for Feb. 1 has been bumped to Feb. 2 at 6 p.m. The date shifts were due to the addition of rescheduled games involving Southern Illinois and Evansville.
Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

Originally Scheduled   New Date
Illinois State at Evansville - Jan. 8   Moves to UE at Illinois State, Jan. 9 (1 p.m. CT)
Evansville at Illinois State - Jan. 23   Moves to Illinois State at Evansville - Jan. 23 (Time TBD)
Drake at Southern Illinois - Jan. 5   Monday, Jan. 17 (7 p.m.)
Loyola at Southern Illinois - Jan. 2   Thursday, Jan. 27 (7 p.m.)
Valparaiso at Southern Illinois - Jan. 29   Moves to Sunday, Jan. 30 (4 p.m. CT)
Evansville at Valparaiso - Feb. 1   Moves to Wednesday, Feb. 2 (Time TBD)