• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2021-2022

Started by wh, June 25, 2021, 04:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

"Our offense is a read-and-react offense and it's based on making decisions based on what the defense gives you."

This is a quote from another coach about their team's offense. I immediately thought that if someone were to ask what kind of offense Valpo runs, that would make a pretty good elevator speech.

Here's a deeper dive into read-and-react from its creator. Highly informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g22S0Z2WA2o

justducky

With Hedstrom being a question mark, most of the rest of our new faces look to be good or great fits with the Read and React. We seem to have the shooters and the experienced judgement types to hit the ground running very quickly. Looking back at Sackey he was unfortunately a total misfit for this style of half court action and that helps explain his struggles. I'm still trying to mentally picture if King will need to make some small adjustments or if the reactions will naturally flow from his and Anderson's reads?

VUGrad1314

The fact that they played together should help that somewhat.

wh

Good article contrasting the effectiveness of Purdue's motion offense with the ineffectiveness of Indiana's patterned offense.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/probably-not-a-good-thing-purdue-guard-said-he-knew-all-of-indianas-plays/

wh

This team is built to win the MVC. On paper there are no team weaknesses. BTW, lack of experience playing together is not a weakness, it's an excuse for failure. I can't picture anyone on this roster using that as an excuse - ever, from 6th year player Eron all the way down to 1st year player Keyondre, and everyone in between. I'm only saying Keyondre because I watched several of his games, and believe me the bigger the odds against pulling out a game, the tougher he got. Hopefully, our other freshmen are cut out of the same mold. I have no reason to think they're not.

vu72

Come on!  Somebody has to have had a peak at some open gym or a practice to give us SOMETHING to chew on!  PLEASE!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Did Sheldon and Emil spill the beans in the latest Union Street Hoops on some things that the coaching staff might have wanted to be held close to the vest??? Sheldon said that we are no longer running the motion offense and that we have a new offense. Emil said that Joe Hedstrom has not been practicing much because he is injured. Not sure the coaching staff would have wanted that information out in the public domain.

Great episode!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on July 24, 2021, 02:48:12 PMSheldon said that we are no longer running the motion offense and that we have a new offense.

I interpreted it more to mean that with the change in player talents the execution no longer has the dead ends of 20-21. To state it in my own words maybe we now have the people that can make the Lottich system thrive? Hard to know exactly what Sheldon meant but I think he said said that we have a "different" offense with a heavy emphasis on that specific word.

vu72

It was a great interview as always.  I took away a few things: 1) the attitude is SOOOOO much better!  Ben said it a couple of times how the team was just getting along a lot better. 2) Kithier is playing the 5 and really impressed Ben with his moves etc.  Sounds like he could be a Matt Howard or Cory Johnson type.  If so it is a game changer. 3)though the indication was that Joe is injured, what Emil said about how high his motor runs was pretty exciting for a 7'.  Emil also said Joe will really help against teams with a big body center. 4) Connor said a couple of times how we now had a bunch of shooters and how that will open things up and finally, 5) how impressed Sheldon was with the play of Kevion!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I definitely felt like we got the most out of Ben that reflected how the remaining players felt about last year. Especially talking about how some players made it clear they wanted to leave halfway through the year and how the attitude is just way better and people are hanging out.  It really sounds like there was a crew of negative nancies that might have ruined it for others. I know first hand how a toxic duo or trio can suck in others and sour a locker room/group. I thought Eron's statement that Lottich is always honest was an interesting one as well even as he gives guys Leeway.  It really seems that Lottich seems to think the players are responsible for themselves and he shouldn't have to ride them to care or work harder and just expects that of them.  Good when you have work horses like Sheldon or Kiser but maybe not great for other players who want/need a bit of coddling, more hands on touch. Definitely think he may need to learn to recognize when those that need more "watching" are getting out of hand and intercede a bit more. I also think that more time for team bonding is important. Two years ago we only lost Javonn (and Pauls' statement made me think he believes that if the team wasn't forced to immediately go home after the tournament he might have never left) and we know at the time they had their long international trip and lots of team bonding time.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on July 25, 2021, 08:09:58 AM
It was a great interview as always.  I took away a few things: 1) the attitude is SOOOOO much better!  Ben said it a couple of times how the team was just getting along a lot better. 2) Kithier is playing the 5 and really impressed Ben with his moves etc.  Sounds like he could be a Matt Howard or Cory Johnson type.  If so it is a game changer. 3)though the indication was that Joe is injured, what Emil said about how high his motor runs was pretty exciting for a 7'.  Emil also said Joe will really help against teams with a big body center. 4) Connor said a couple of times how we now had a bunch of shooters and how that will open things up and finally, 5) how impressed Sheldon was with the play of Kevion!

Good stuff.

I was multitasking while listening so don't hold me to this, but didn't Eron mention Preston as someone who has impressed him? Also recall Slim's name being brought up by someone in the group - maybe Sheldon?

vu72

Quote from: wh on July 25, 2021, 12:40:22 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 25, 2021, 08:09:58 AM

Good stuff.

I was multitasking while listening so don't hold me to this, but didn't Eron mention Preston as someone who has impressed him? Also recall Slim's name being brought up by someone in the group - maybe Sheldon?

Very true.  It surprised me a little that of all the newcomers the walk-on was mentioned.  Clearly Preston has talent and maybe more than what was thought during recruiting.  He is also the most hungry trying to earn a scholarship. Slim was mentioned but not is any depth. I recall Paul asking about him for reaction but really not much was said.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on July 25, 2021, 01:13:18 PMVery true.  It surprised me a little that of all the newcomers the walk-on was mentioned.  Clearly Preston has talent and maybe more than what was thought during recruiting.  He is also the most hungry trying to earn a scholarship.

Just from memory I'm thinking Kiser played something like 150 to 180 minutes his walk on season. As deep as our 21-22 team is, Preston will have to be great to find much more than 100 minutes. Sight unseen I'm hoping he reaches that mark!

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on July 26, 2021, 12:55:25 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 25, 2021, 01:13:18 PMVery true.  It surprised me a little that of all the newcomers the walk-on was mentioned.  Clearly Preston has talent and maybe more than what was thought during recruiting.  He is also the most hungry trying to earn a scholarship.

Just from memory I'm thinking Kiser played something like 150 to 180 minutes his walk on season. As deep as our 21-22 team is, Preston will have to be great to find much more than 100 minutes. Sight unseen I'm hoping he reaches that mark!

I think Preston has a real shot to earn a scholarship in the future. He apparently has Kiser characteristics and really pushes guys in practice. Every successful team needs those guys.

crusader05

Could definitely see how, if we continue seeing higher number of transfers across the board, it could be easy for him to earn a scholarship. Odds are there are going to be a few openings at the end of this season and if he proves himself that makes it easy to fill one of the holes if they occur.

valpo64

With recent covid developments does anyone think it will affect basketball seating/masking for the coming season?

crusader05

I'm hopeful things will be better although it's hard to tell with how high cases went last year in the fall. It does seem this new variant spikes high and fast and then falls as you can already see in the UK. I think it's also pushed some fence sitters to get vaccinated (rates of first time shots are rising) and has encouraged more vaccine mandates in work places and else where. Hopefully, with approval coming for those under 12 by hopefully September and FDA fully approving it we will continue to see increased vaccination rates that allow for continued relaxation of requirements.

justducky

The College Sports Madness Top 144 is coming out daily. So far teams of interest for this fanbase would be Butler #95, Wright St #96, Northern Iowa #103 (4'th in MVC) and Evansville at #125  :o.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: VU2014 on August 01, 2021, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: justducky on July 26, 2021, 12:55:25 PM

I think Preston has a real shot to earn a scholarship in the future. He apparently has Kiser characteristics and really pushes guys in practice. Every successful team needs those guys.

I played for Preston's dad (who was a hell of a player in his own right) in high school. If he has the kind of intensity/drive/determination that his father had, he will be successful.

vu72

For those of us who have kinda had enough of the Beacons debate, here is something that might just get your basketball juices flowing again.  The first is an interview with Trevor Anderson. Note that at one point he mentions that Kobe(King) is his roommate.  No doubt that was a key in getting Kobe to Valpo (thank you Trevor!)Another interesting point is how he learned to not turn the ball over from his coach dad.  Seems we always end up pretty happy with coaches kids.

The second one is a highlite reel of Trevor playing.  Wow!  You gotta love the speed he plays at!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM7w4ey94IY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJog6AGaAL4

usc4valpo

It is time to win, no excuses, time to progress and make basketball successful at Valpo.

VUBBFan

A good preseason take on the Valley and what to expect this year. The writer takes a poke at Valpo's new Nickname and even greater swipe at the released logos (hates both).

It gives good detail and depth on each team. A great read

https://staringatthefloorboards.wordpress.com/

vu72

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 22, 2021, 11:57:40 AM
A good preseason take on the Valley and what to expect this year. The writer takes a poke at Valpo's new Nickname and even greater swipe at the released logos (hates both).

It gives good detail and depth on each team. A great read

https://staringatthefloorboards.wordpress.com/

I could care less what this person thinks about us being the Beacons.  I suppose he thinks being a Rambler (?) a Bulldog (really unique) a tree, or an "Ace" (?) is better, or maybe "a Red Bird" wow!  That is a terrifying thought!

As for the article, probably spot on.  With zero experience seeing how all our guys mess, the pick seems reasonable. I thought it VERY interesting when he said that Donovan Clay "might eat some minutes from Keaton Harvey", which, he thought, "would be a mistake"

In any event, we had dramatically improved our talent and depth. Now we just have to win!!!!

vu84v2

From the Trevor Anderson mix tape...that team was darn good considering that two of Trevor's teammates later were high D1 players.