• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Chicago state game

Started by truth219, November 20, 2012, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

What are your feelings/expectations?

truth219

I anticipate a blowout. I hope rossi gets some minutes. Id like to see buggs keep the scoring up, when he takes the ball to the hoop and finish.

covufan

Up tempo and we play the full 40, on both ends.

Valpo  88
Chi St  55

HC

Valpo by 30. Remember Chicago St gave Green Bay all they could handle. Hopefully we get right and stay healthy.

valpopal

I expect VU to win easily on Friday, but unfortunately Valpo's RPI will still go down. I hope the lead is large enough early to allow Erik ample rest, as well as Kevin and Ryan, and to get more playing time for the new guys—Rossi, Fernandez, and Coleman. Ditto for Saturday's game.

Smj

I am skipping this game but I should be making the Saturday game.   I am hoping that these will be easy wins (get a big enough lead - rest for some - more playing time for others.)

talksalot

I hope everyone will make a liar out of me... I have 80 in the over/under for the crowd at tip-off on Friday afternoon at 4:30 for the Bethune-Cookman/Nebraska-Omaha game.   I see BC lost to Kent State tonight on a shot with 1.7 seconds to go (in regulation, this time)    KSU was favored by 19.  UNO in year-one of D1 full season eligibility, in the Summit League.  I was hoping we might pickup a couple of walk-ons for the weekend, shades of IU-Kokomo last year.  Need to rest up for the Billikens next weekend, who were hanging with Kansas.

valpotx

Chicago State is terrible, don't care how close they played GB:

Valpo 84
Beatdown State 54
"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

This game needs to be a blowout, so I'll say they win easily. Chicago State is generally terrible, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: talksalot on November 20, 2012, 10:36:34 PM
I hope everyone will make a liar out of me... I have 80 in the over/under for the crowd at tip-off on Friday afternoon at 4:30 for the Bethune-Cookman/Nebraska-Omaha game.   I see BC lost to Kent State tonight on a shot with 1.7 seconds to go (in regulation, this time)    KSU was favored by 19.  UNO in year-one of D1 full season eligibility, in the Summit League.  I was hoping we might pickup a couple of walk-ons for the weekend, shades of IU-Kokomo last year. Need to rest up for the Billikens next weekend, who were hanging with Kansas.

St. Louis got down by 17 or 18 midway through the first half, cut into that a little bit right before halftime and kind of treaded water the rest of the game and lost by 14.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

atkins

Kansas was outstanding yesterday and would have beaten most of the top 20.  SLU has a good inside game this year, and Kansas just ate them up.  It would be interesting to see how we would perform against Kansas (probably poorly, per our usual performance against BCS teams, and KU is very difficult to beat at home).  If we prevail against SLU, that will be the highest-quality win of the regular season, as SLU is substantially better than our competition in the Horizon this year (despite SLU's inconsistent play, which is oddly similar to Valpo's inconsistent play). 

crusadermoe

Agreed SLU will be the toughest test.       

When does Dority become eligible and when does Capo likely return from injury?    I'm hoping both are back in time to play Murray State.   That would measure how much they improve us.     

By they way, Doug Anderson of Detroit posterized a St John guy in that game.   Not quite the jaw-dropper that he did vs. Valpo but impressive.   Freakish athlete.

agibson

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 21, 2012, 09:53:50 AMWhen does Dority become eligible and when does Capo likely return from injury?    I'm hoping both are back in time to play Murray State.

Dority should be good for the December 15 Missouri State game.

Capo's harder to predict, surely.  I guess his injury was announced November 9?  So one month would be December 9, but who knows?

FWalum

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 21, 2012, 09:53:50 AMWhen does Dority become eligible and when does Capo likely return from injury?    I'm hoping both are back in time to play Murray State.   That would measure how much they improve us.
I was hoping that Capo would be back for the IPFW game, that would be 4 weeks to the day of surgery.  Don't want to push anything obviously, but since I will be there for that game (going up with the IPFW media crew and the Nelligan Sports Marketing people) it would have been nice to see him play in person.

No, I will not be rooting for IPFW... my cousin is the color commentator for the radio broadcast (his father was a Valpo grad and he was offered a BBall scholarship back in 1979 but stayed home and played for IPFW.  He and I have coached together up until about 3 years ago.) I am just hitching a ride and acting as a guide and contact.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

I was at the KU-St. Louis game last night in Kansas City.  I agree with the previous post that Kansas played very well and it would have been hard for most any team to beat them.  I also think that Valpo will have their hands full with St. Louis.  SLU has quality bigs who are mobile and can step out and hit the three (it seemed both their 4 and 5 did that).  Additionally, Jett was hurt and in foul trouble throughout the game with KU and had very little impact...but I will bet that he has an impact against Valpo.  Their bigs will also be much more difficult inside against Valpo (Kansas probably has the best defensive big man in the country).

As far as the games against Chicago State and TBD...Valpo needs to dominate and win both games by 20+. 

crusadermoe

Good to hear we will see Dority by Dec. 15 Mo State.    That should give us a look at him vs. Oakland too.   

Hope the rest of the gang can work out some kinks this week.   

Valposter

I'll through in my prediction for a 25 point win :twocents:

Valpo:  85
Chicago St:  60

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 21, 2012, 01:03:32 PMAdditionally, Jett was hurt and in foul trouble throughout the game with KU and had very little impact...but I will bet that he has an impact against Valpo.

Jordair certainly has been a big disappointment for SLU so far. He had a really bad game against Santa Clara too. But I think you're correct that Jett will make a big impact against Valpo. Kwamain Mitchell not being back from his broken foot yet will have a great impact on the SLU game too. I think the loss of Rick Majerus is really hurting SLU this year too. SLU just announced that Majerus will not be coming back any time to coach the Billikens. Jim Crews is the interim for this year and no decision on next year has been made yet. Many assume that if Crews gets this talented SLU team back to the NCAA tourney the interim title will be taken away.

As far as Chicago State I think it will be closer than most people think. Teams that haven't played as well sometimes sneak up on the Crusaders.

Chicago State  68
Valpo           76

StlVUFan

For reasons not entirely known to me, the very fact that I know absolutely nothing about this year's version of the Chicago State Cougars leaves me feeling very afraid, bordering on paranoid.

Thanks to 2005-2007, the Chicago State name alone is no longer automatically synonymous with "cupcake".  Add to that Tracy Dildy, Horizon League alum at the helm, and I am cowering in fear, curled up in the fetal position.

I'm being figurative, but I'm not being sarcastic.  :o

LaPorteAveApostle

Here's some stuff:

They're 1-3, only beating Concordia (Chicago).  They are D-III.

They lost by 30 at Kent.

They return one full-time starter and only 6 players overall.

Look out for Jeremy Robinson (the returning starter, 6-9), and maybe don't leave Matt Ross alone behind the 3-pt line, but that's all.

This is more than you anyone needed to know about our Cougar friends, probably, but now you know.

And as GI JOE would tell you, that's half the battle.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

I don't think stl is our hardest opponent this season..I think its new mexico by a lot. They are a much better team and a tougher atmosphere. Just my opinion

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 21, 2012, 06:02:03 PMThey're 1-3, only beating Concordia (Chicago).  They are D-III.

Don't forget that D-III Concordia-Chicago is the alma mater of our famous (infamous?) football coach Dale Carlson. It's also one of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod's colleges named Concordia. Concordia-Wisconsin, Concordia-Austin,TX, Concordia-Bronxville,NY etc.

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 21, 2012, 06:02:03 PM

They only dress 6 players?  Really?

I know that Chicago State often skimped as an athletic department, but number of players on the basketball team was not one of those areas of skimping.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 21, 2012, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 21, 2012, 06:02:03 PM

They only dress 6 players?  Really?

I know that Chicago State often skimped as an athletic department, but number of players on the basketball team was not one of those areas of skimping.

I believe he meant only one starter and 6 total players returned from last season's team. Not that only 6 players dressed for the games. There must have been some new additions to the Chicago State team.

LaPorteAveApostle

They actually tried to return more players, but Wal-Mart said that the 90 days had expired.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa