• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/9/13, 7:30pm - ESPNU: Green Bay @ Valpo HL Tournament Game Thread

Started by valpo04, March 09, 2013, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

A little less than two hours till tip.  How's the weather?  The ticket site is shut down.  When I checked earlier I would guess close to 4000.  CC as an example was filled except the top 5 or 6 rows.  A good walk up/drive up will get it to a very good crowd.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Weather' fine; partly cloudy, 42 degrees, snow melting (but still inches deep), roads clear. 

Chairbacks less than half full for the Detroit game, but definitely some VU fans in evidence.

18-18 with 7:22 to go.  Wright State really struggled in the early going, but Detroit didn't capitalize and Detroit trailed by as many as.. 5?  A little more?

LaPorteAveApostle

Detroit on a 5-0 run to tie.

WSU already has run 9 players out there.  Detroit has 6.

[insert my autotext repetitive trope about detroit bench or lack thereof]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Wright State shoots ~60% for the first half, while committing ten turnovers.  Detroit without many fast break points, however.

Ray 0-1 on the half.

29-29.

LaPorteAveApostle

HL POY @ the half:  0-3, 1 reb, 0 ast, 3 steals

er...make that four stolen things in a week.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Let's go WSU!

I see us beating GB handily again, as Sykes can't handle Buggs:

Valpo 78
GB 65
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

regretfully friends, i won't be able to join you all in the chat tonight as i'm stuck at work. but rest assured i'll be watching, and may be in this thread a little bit.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I cannot think of a time I have yelled that loud  :).  Fiancee had to come running in from across the house to watch what I was yelling 'OOOOOOOOOOOOOO' for.  Clutch 3 by Kenney when it seemed like it wouldn't matter...and Broekhoff...nothing you can say but 'wow' on that shot.  That is a primetime player, and I loved watching the faces of GB's players as it went in, especially Sykes  ;D.

Different tournament, but how about winning 70-69 15 years from the shot?  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Wow!  My goodness.  What a game.  Way more competitive than I wanted.  Way more drama.  Sykyes playing way better than I'd have liked.  I could have done without the injury (ice bath, now!, how will he play Tuesday?!).

More so than any game I remember, Broekhoff seemed to force the offense through him in the last ten minutes.  Not all the time (see Kenney miss, and key redemptive make), note too excess, but he was taking significantly tougher shots than usual.

And, that last shot, my goodness!  Good thing he had time to check his momentum, get back behind the line, and a lot of contest on that shot!  Was he fouled as well? 

My goodness.

Great game - great finish.  Enormous heart from Kevin.  Rest!  Get better!  Play Tuesday.

govalpogo

:bowdown: Ryan Brokeoven.    Words cannot describe the level of pumped up I am right now.

jloose128

UNBELIEVABLE!

I just ran around my house screaming my lungs off like an absolute madman for a good 30 seconds before my father calmed me down.

Ryan Broekhoff.... Wow.

atkins

Wow.  Thanks to Ryan.  Great game despite our poor free throw shooting and generally soft defense.  At least our turnovers were down. 

Although Brown missed an obviously key shot, how good would Valpo be if we had him inside?  Only a junior, and we had no answer to him. During the entire second half, he made our big guys look like high school kids. 

grad66

Well done. Both teams left it on the floor tonight.  Our best just got hotter at the right time!  Way to go Rowdy! And every one of the Crusaders for
giving it all.  Now  rest a little, before we really finish business Tuesday night!  (Almost a mini-Pacer , coach Drew!). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

rink

Yeehaw! I was seconds away from a nepotism-related rant about squandering the most experienced team in the nation and yada yada yada.  Glad I don't have to make that post. What a bloody amazing ending! In Broekhoff we trust. GO VALPO.

valpospartan

Quote from: jloose128 on March 09, 2013, 09:45:31 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!

I just ran around my house screaming my lungs off like an absolute madman for a good 30 seconds before my father calmed me down.

Ryan Broekhoff.... Wow.

And not voted POY?????????

govalpogo

After tonight's game...I think the voters are aware of their mistake!

rink

And instead of a scathing rant, time for a victory shot of whiskey. Hot friggin damn, thank you Ryan.  I might write a check to Valpo athletics tonight. Woot woot.

KL31NY

After a quick look at the World Baseball Classic or something like that, Marquette-Wright St-Valpo-Alabama buzzer beaters to lead SportsCenter
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

Smj

Very exciting games in the horizon league....   

Way to go Ryan - that ending rocked!!!   I totally think you deserved POY and you just showed everyone why.

valpotx

That has to be #1.  This is a conference tournament, and a completely contested off balance 3. 

Also, good to see that the US has taken a 6-2 lead on Italy in the WBC  :).  They were down 2-1 when I last cared to check
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

Hell of a shot by Ryan, but without Kenney's three just before, that ending probably never happens.

Hell of a job by all the guys tonight.  Win this damn thing!