• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA President Q&A on Twitter is going about how you'd expect

Started by valpo04, April 18, 2014, 10:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the NCAA needs to make some concessions to student athletes.  They are making so much money on the whole from various marketing exploits, even though individual schools aren't.  They need to at least gives individual schools the option of paying the 'full cost of tuitiion,' whatever that might be.  I don't believe that they should ever be paid like professional athletes, but they need to at least provide for their daily lives while in school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I would very much be in favor of adding a year of eligibility to anyone who transfers.  It has always been complete BS that an athlete loses 1 year of eligibility just because they had to transfer.  This may also help some schools attian a better graduation rate, as sometimes, a school won't accept certain transfer credits.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10802011/mark-emmert-agrees-ncaa-rule-food-was-absurd
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

The extra year seems to have gone through; of course the headline is about what we in midmajordom have often talked about/feared on here:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10834339/ncaa-plan-give-major-conferences-more-authority-own-issues

QuotePlayers who cannot transfer and play immediately without a hardship waiver will be given a sixth year of eligibility.

Sad face for LVD :( (would KCJr get grandfathered in?)

QuoteThe board also decided on Thursday that any rules adopted by the power five conferences would not require separate votes by the other 27 leagues.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 24, 2014, 09:32:58 PM
QuotePlayers who cannot transfer and play immediately without a hardship waiver will be given a sixth year of eligibility.

Sad face for LVD :( (would KCJr get grandfathered in?)

The article's comments are extremely vague, but my interpretation of the "sixth year" is that it gives them 6 years (instead of 5) to complete their 4 seasons of participation.  I think it's intended to help players who have redshirted voluntarily or for injury and then sit another season due to transfer.  I don't see how it would help a mid-year transfer like LVD, who participated in 4 seasons of competition over a 5 year period.  Is your interpretation different?  Assume there are more details somewhere out there, but I'm too lazy to look for them.