• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Rumors

Started by HC, March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

No reason to get nervous. It's interesting recently that every time there is a college basketball coaching vacancy that Bryce Drew's name is in the mix. Bryce is not ready to coach Iowa State, a team  that should be in the Top 10 in the 2015-16 season. I think he has to learn more, win games against major conference teams and make a statement in the NCAA tournament.  Iowa State will pursue a higher profile coach.

There is a lot of concern and speculation in the Des Moines community that Fred Hoiberg will leave Iowa State and be the next Bulls coach. I think this would be a mistake for both parties. The last time the Bulls take a coach from Iowa State, Tim "Pink" Floyd, it was a disaster. Also, the Bulls are trending down as their talent base is aging and they cannot get past a team with LeBron James. I think Hoiberg should stay at Iowa State and maybe wait for when the Minnesota T-Wolves position is available.

covufan

Drew, Hoiberg and Floyd were all with the 2000-2001 Bulls.  I believe Drew and Floyd were with the Hornets that summer of 2003, when Floyd may have mentioned one Scott Drew for the Baylor HC position.  Lots of connections here.

covufan

Going up against Scott would be the downside of the ISU job, at least from Bryce's point of view.

vu72

Bryce won't go to Iowa State because he doesn't want to compete against his brother.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

He won't leave for an Iowa State either.  Again, he seems like the type of guy that would want to be a HC at a school that would allow him to openly speak about his religion, and that is not possible at a public.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on May 29, 2015, 05:00:33 PM
Bryce won't go to Iowa State because he doesn't want to compete against his brother.

I don't get that. They probably competed with one another daily playing one-on-one growing up. What's the big deal?

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpotx on May 29, 2015, 11:16:00 PM
He won't leave for an Iowa State either.  Again, he seems like the type of guy that would want to be a HC at a school that would allow him to openly speak about his religion, and that is not possible at a public.

As long as he makes it known before signing any contract that he will not be silenced about his faith, I see no problem with him going to a state school.

usc4valpo

Despite the cute reports that can tend to be a joke, I do not believe Iowa State will pursue Byrce. With the  players returning, they are lookkIng for a higher profile coach. Jeff Hornacek is a name they are looking at.

Byrce is doing well, but he needs some significant wins on his resume. Defeating Woogie Boogie does not count as big wins. He will get them but currently they do not exist.

historyman

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 30, 2015, 08:11:13 AM
Quote from: vu72 on May 29, 2015, 05:00:33 PMBryce won't go to Iowa State because he doesn't want to compete against his brother.
I don't get that. They probably competed with one another daily playing one-on-one growing up. What's the big deal?

Just before this past NCAA selection show Bryce and Scott were on the phone together and it was revealed that they prayed that Valpo and Baylor would not be paired up against each other. I forget which sports publication/website was lobbying for a Drew brothers clash in the tourney so as to peak fans' interest. It is very obvious by their outward statements that Bryce and Scott do not want to coach against each other. It's like a Drew Family declaration and promise.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Just Sayin

Quote from: historyman on May 31, 2015, 01:02:56 AM
Quote from: vu72 on May 29, 2015, 05:00:33 PMBryce won't go to Iowa State because he doesn't want to compete against his brother.

Just before this past NCAA selection show Bryce and Scott were on the phone together and it was revealed that they prayed that Valpo and Baylor would not be paired up against each other. I forget which sports publication/website was lobbying for a Drew brothers clash in the tourney so as to peak fans' interest. It is very obvious by their outward statements that Bryce and Scott do not want to coach against each other. It's like a Drew Family declaration and promise.

I'm aware of that. I still don't get it. Why? What's the big deal?

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 31, 2015, 06:45:48 AM

I'm just guessing of course, but, are you an only child??   ???  The winner of  a game is typically happy, and the loser, not so much.  Seeing a loved one hurting is not something you typically look forward to.  As a example, some years ago the Sutton boys played against each other. One won and one lost. Neither was happy with the result.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 31, 2015, 06:45:48 AM

You have heard the phrase "win-win." No matter what there is always a "lose" in the senario with the Drew Brothers. And they are not the only brothers or father/son that don't want to coach or play against each other.

It reminds me of the Harbaugh brothers during the Super Bowl. IU coach, Tom Crean, a brother-in-law to the Harbaughs, explained that they knew no matter what they were going through an emotional rollercoaster because they would experience the great loss of losing a Super Bowl with one brother and the great euphoria of winning a Super Bowl with the other brother. Whoever won there was a loss in the equation.

wh

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--fred-hoiberg-signs--25m-contract-to-coach-bulls-020131567.html

Now that the Hoiberg vacancy is reality, here are my thoughts. Against conventional wisdom I think Bryce may well take the Iowa State position if an offer presents itself. IMO at some point he is going to bolt for the "right" job; otherwise, he wouldn't keep interviewing. This is a prestige position in 1 of the most elite conferences in America. Unlike DePaul (and other positions he has interviewed for) it's not about resurrecting a failed program. ISU is loaded with top notch talent. In all likelihood they will be a 20-25 win team and a lock for the Tournament. The job pays $2.5 M (8-10 times what he makes now). As to the brothers not playing each other, there's a limit to everything. Scott makes $2.5 M/yr. he's not going to tell his brother who makes a tenth of that to pass so they don't have to face each other. I do agree that he may not be a primary candidate. Then again, stranger things have happened.

covufan

Quote from: wh on June 02, 2015, 10:31:58 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--fred-hoiberg-signs--25m-contract-to-coach-bulls-020131567.html

Now that the Hoiberg vacancy is reality, here are my thoughts. Against conventional wisdom I think Bryce may well take the Iowa State position if an offer presents itself. IMO at some point he is going to bolt for the "right" job; otherwise, he wouldn't keep interviewing. This is a prestige position in 1 of the most elite conferences in America. Unlike DePaul (and other positions he has interviewed for) it's not about resurrecting a failed program. ISU is loaded with top notch talent. In all likelihood they will be a 20-25 win team and a lock for the Tournament. The job pays $2.5 M (8-10 times what he makes now). As to the brothers not playing each other, there's a limit to everything. Scott makes $2.5 M/yr. he's not going to tell his brother who makes a tenth of that to pass so they don't have to face each other. I do agree that he may not be a primary candidate. Then again, stranger things have happened.
I certainly couldn't blame him if he took the ISU job.  Taking over a Top-10 team is quite the opportunity. 

vu72

Quote from: covufan on June 02, 2015, 11:51:58 AM
Quote from: wh on June 02, 2015, 10:31:58 AM

I certainly couldn't blame him if he took the ISU job.  Taking over a Top-10 team is quite the opportunity. 

I was trying to find a school with a decent basketball program that would be a good fit for Bryce.  I am guessing that Bryce is a "Bible" Christian, meaning in the Baptist tradition.  That is why Baylor was such a good fit for Scott.  It also could mean a school like Valpo, open to all comers with a strong faith component, but encouraging to those from all backgrounds.  Now, I have no reason to think that a Catholic school wouldn't be a good fit, but I suspect Bryce would embrace Baylor a lot faster then Notre Dame.

So I just went through the top 50 Christian schools in the list posted under the General Valpo section and didn't find one with a better basketball tradition then Valpo.  There are several D1 schools, but a move to, say a Belmont, would be perhaps not even lateral.  One public school that does come to mind is Texas A & M.  Yes, it is public, but VERY conservative with thousands of students regularly going to Bible classes.  They play in a different conference than Baylor and is in the same general part of the state thus working well for Homer and Janet.
A & M is regarded, and rightly so, as a football power, but their basketball program is on the rise. They have signed four players ranked by ESPN in the top 66 including two centers ranked 27th and 29th.  So all that's good.

The only problem is that Billy Kennedy is only in his fourth season and I think is doing a pretty good job. They finished something like 20-10 and did make the tourney.  With all the talent coming in the pressure could be building on Kennedy.  So, as far as A & M is concerned, at least for now, we are in good shape.

wh

Bryce considered a primary candidate to replace Hoiberg (new articles):

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2015/06/01/next-list-iowa-state-coaching-candidates/28131227/

BRYCE DREW, Valparaiso head coach

Upside: Been there, done that. He's coached at the NCAA Tournament level. His family tree is loaded with college basketball coaching. He made the game-winning shot against Ole Miss in 1988 for Valparaiso's first NCAA Tournament victory. In four seasons, Drew has 94 wins, including two NCAA Tournament appearances. Opponents scored an average of 59.3 points against the Crusaders last season, 18th nationally.

Downside: Prying him from Valpo won't be easy, given that he's Valparaiso's version of Hoiberg; his teams played home games on Homer Drew Court.

Contract status: He has a 10-year contract that expires in 2023.

http://fansided.com/2015/06/01/who-will-replace-fred-hoiberg-iowa-state/

Another up-and-coming head coach that could be a possibility is Valparaiso's Bryce Drew. Drew has had success in four years at the helm of the Crusaders and might like a chance to coach against his brother Scott at Baylor.

However, Drew could be slightly harder to lure away, as he played at Valparaiso and hit one of the most famous buzzer beaters in the history of the NCAA Tournament there. If Drew keeps winning, he'll have no choice but to take a bigger job eventually, but this might not be the time.

usc4valpo

vu72, Iowa State is as conservative as A&M and located in a "family first" like community. It is more of a technical school, thus it tends to be a little more conservative.  A&M has Christians and it has lots and lots of cash. IMO he would fit to Iowa State just fine secular wise. In reality, he is not ready for this position.

Just because it is a state school does not does you have to give up your religious beliefs. Not all state schools are Cal and Colorado.

If Bryce is considered, he has a big choice to make. This would not be a bogus DePaul job. Also, the support and fan base at Iowa State is outstanding.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on June 02, 2015, 06:35:14 PM
vu72, Iowa State is as conservative as A&M and located in a "family first" like community. It is more of a technical school, thus it tends to be a little more conservative.  A&M has Christians and it has lots and lots of cash. IMO he would fit to Iowa State just fine secular wise. In reality, he is not ready for this position.

Just because it is a state school does not does you have to give up your religious beliefs. Not all state schools are Cal and Colorado.

If Bryce is considered, he has a big choice to make. This would not be a bogus DePaul job. Also, the support and fan base at Iowa State is outstanding.

Understood.  This job is in the here and now.  The A & M job is a "maybe at some point in the future".  In a perfect world the A & M job would be better for Bryce for a couple of reasons.  First, its location (great for Homer and Janet) and second, not in the same conference as Scott, thus avoiding the probable three times a year painful battle.

classof2014

I live in Des Moines. My guess is ISU is going to go after Jeff Hornacek, I have heard Bryce's name tossed around but there are others ahead of him, at least in the eyes of the public.

I think Bryce stays at VU. To me, it sounds like ISU, is going to go after other candidates.

valpotx

Someone didn't proofread their article, if they think Bryce's shot was in 1988...
"Don't mess with Texas"