• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

At the Halfway Point...

Started by govalpogo, January 21, 2012, 05:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

This year, much like last, we turn the half mark in the HL year at 7-2.  Last year we lost game number nine to GB at the ARC.  Overall, we were 15-6 (7-2) last year opposed to 14-7 (7-2) this year.  Only a one game difference, and yet, I remember being more confident last year and the team having a higher rpi. Maybe 1st place was a newer feeling last year OR maybe I'm my excitement was really built up after beating Butler in game 10.

How do y'all feel about this year vs last at this juncture in the season?

StlVUFan

Quote from: govalpogo on January 21, 2012, 05:12:15 PM
This year, much like last, we turn the half mark in the HL year at 7-2.  Last year we lost game number nine to GB at the ARC.  Overall, we were 15-6 (7-2) last year opposed to 14-7 (7-2) this year.  Only a one game difference, and yet, I remember being more confident last year and having a higher rpi. Maybe 1st place was a newer feeling last year OR maybe my excitement was really built up after beating Butler.

How do y'all feel about this year vs last at this juncture in the season.

More excited.  That day was a particularly bad one last year.  Man do I hate all things Green Bay :(

I liked last year's team on paper better than this year's, so this year is even better.

bbtds

We had never been 7-2 at the halfway point in the league season before. It was unchartered territory. If you have done it before the term "been there, done that" comes to mind and more is expected. If you're not getting better (improving) from year to year then you are getting worse.

Although we are setting ourselves up for a Wisconsin trip melt down again. Bryce needs to find someway to get over that.

valpopal

If we were told this team would be 7-2 at the conference halfway point (14-7 over all), tied for first place, and have road wins over Butler and Detroit, I think all of us would have been very happy. In addition, at the middle of the season, Valpo has two all-conference players, with Ryan the current favorite for player of the year, and Bryce has to be given consideration as a contender for coach of the year.

Of course, we also are reminded of the difficulties of the second half last year and the eventual let down at the end of the season. We also know the toughest part of the schedule is again the upcoming Wisconsin road trip. In addition, we might consider the possibilities had Valpo beaten the three Summit teams (IPFW, IUPUI, and Oakland), as they should have, and the RPI a 17-4 record would receive at this point.

I'm not sure how this team will respond to the pressure and if they will hold up better than last year's team, though the spacing in the second-half schedule is a little more favorable this year. Also, I am still convinced this team is designed to peak next year. However, I am satisfied and have to give credit to what Bryce and the players have produced overall thus far.

vu72

I would really like to replay a few of the early season losses as I think Bryce has the guys thinking differently and playing much better defense.  The last several games we have really clamped down and as Coach Gore said the other day, the players now believe and understand that they must give it their all while in because the replacments will be just as good--no need to save yourself for later!

Teams are clamping down on ryan and others are stpping up.  Kevin was again awesome this afternoon.

I have a very good feeling about these guys and although I agree that next year will be our big year, this year we could still go the the NCAAs.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Ryan came back to Earth this weekend, although his numbers were still quite good.  I think Kevin has replaced him as leader in the clubhouse for POY, but I would bet that is ok with Rowdy as long as the team is winning.

7-2 and controlling their own destiny....I'll take that!

crusaderboy

From my vantage point, this team possesses more weapons, is more fun to watch, more mentally tough, more up to challenges, more efficient offensively, more willing to D up and a lot better down low. Add it all up and I think you can guess how I feel about this year's team as opposed to last year.
Not even close. And don't forget, this team is still growing.

78crusader

I predicted 17-14, so that shows how little I know about VU basketball.

It's great to have first place all to ourselves, if only for one day.  I think it's unlikely we'll finish first since our remaining road games are Milwaukee, Cleveland State, and Youngstown State, all first-division clubs, and UWGB, which seems to have our number.  Still, this team appears to be better than last year's version.  A split next week is a must if we are going to have a realistic chance of winning the conference.  Paul

DMvalpo18

Quote from: crusaderboy on January 21, 2012, 09:32:16 PM
From my vantage point, this team possesses more weapons, is more fun to watch, more mentally tough, more up to challenges, more efficient offensively, more willing to D up and a lot better down low. Add it all up and I think you can guess how I feel about this year's team as opposed to last year.

my feelings exactly. i actually feel more confident in this year's team. we have a nice win streak going here right now and i like our chances to compete for the horizon's crown this year. yes, this year. next year obviously looks promising as well.

Crusader03

Definitely some addition by subtraction from last year, as well

wh

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on January 21, 2012, 10:28:33 PM
Quote from: crusaderboy on January 21, 2012, 09:32:16 PM

my feelings exactly. i actually feel more confident in this year's team. we have a nice win streak going here right now and i like our chances to compete for the horizon's crown this year. yes, this year. next year obviously looks promising as well.

+1

sectionee

I actually agree with C3  :o. The graduations and transfer has allowed these guys to blossom and not have to rely on a select guy to win the game.

bbtds

Quote from: sectionee on January 21, 2012, 11:10:21 PM
I actually agree with C3  :o. The graduations and transfer has allowed these guys to blossom and not have to rely on a select guy to win the game.

I too agree with 03 that this VU team is better with some of the subtractions. One subtraction that nobody wants to look at is the change in head coach. Homer did more for Valpo athletics than anyone ever, including the current head coach, but I really believe his time to leave had come.

jimdandy

what has been huge is bringing in roger powell...somebody from a school other than Valpo that can coach our post players
we have not had a good coach for our big men in a long time...and it now shows in the play

valporun

Yes, having a true post player that knew the physicality of the D-I game has helped a player like Kevin or Ryan prepare for it. I hope Richie works in the offseason to believe that philosophy, now that he'll have a year in the system. I would say he should believe it now, but he just needs the experience before we start demanding that he be the big man that he will be.

johnestuff

Pretty tough ask of Richie. Last year was the first year he has played the 4 position. He began by playing the 1, progressed to the 2 in junior high, and the 3 in high school.

valporun

Quote from: johnestuff on January 22, 2012, 01:37:21 PM
Pretty tough ask of Richie. Last year was the first year he has played the 4 position. He began by playing the 1, progressed to the 2 in junior high, and the 3 in high school.

That's why I'm only concerned that he's getting experience with the college game right now. Once the postseason is here, then it's time to really develop him into a post player for the future. There are so many "armchair coaches" that want every freshman to play as though he's the future of the program from Game #1. That isn't fair to him, when he's just needing to get an understanding of what he's getting into.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valporun on January 22, 2012, 01:44:47 PM

That's why I'm only concerned that he's getting experience with the college game right now. Once the postseason is here, then it's time to really develop him into a post player for the future. There are so many "armchair coaches" that want every freshman to play as though he's the future of the program from Game #1. That isn't fair to him, when he's just needing to get an understanding of what he's getting into.

10 points to run! every post of yours that i read is well thought out, well written, and logical. and so frequently i agree with your statements. so thank you.  :thumbsup:

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 22, 2012, 08:04:59 PM
Quote from: valporun on January 22, 2012, 01:44:47 PM

10 points to run! every post of yours that i read is well thought out, well written, and logical. and so frequently i agree with your statements. so thank you.  :thumbsup:

My own observation coincides with this I think: Richie seems to be at his best when he operates in the paint.  That one game where he jacked up that horrible looking shot and was immediately benched (Milwaukee, I wanna say?) -- he came back in and scored 3 straight times within 5 feet of the basket.

valpotx

I predicted a 20-12 record, so still on track.  I also think about what our RPI would be with a 17-4 record, with those 3 terrible losses to Summit teams.  Good to see we just recently went above the Summit in Conf. RPI, though it might be a battle the rest of the season to hold them off.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

The overall Valpo results and level of play for the season and the month of January are both somewhat ahead of my expectations. Our strengths and weaknesses are now clear, and the Horizon Leagues adjustments to us for round two should be very interesting. I still believe that reaching 13-5 will be extremely difficult, and even that might not gain us a second seed. Our 3 point shooting must continue to improve for us to have a shot at the 1 or 2.

I know that some of us are feeling at least some level of disappointment in the performance of Ben Boggs but we need to ask where this team might currently be without him. He has given us about 20 minutes per game with 4.5 points 2.5 rebounds and reasonably solid defense. More importantly with the absence of Kurth, Boggs has helped keep Buggs in these important games. Erik has only fouled out twice since Ben joined the team and not at all since IUPUI. The 7-4 record we have posted since his addition could pretty easily be 4-7 or even 3-8. Moreover I am hopeful that the rust is still wearing off and that his judgements with the ball and his 3 point shooting may yet reach our expectations.

Let us also not forget about that team down in Indianapolis. Expect another logjam at the top.

valpotx

Boggs definitely should be credited for coming in mid-season and trying to gel with a team that played without him for 10+ games.  It's difficult for a team to get in sync and then have another cog added to the mix that has only been part of practices/scrimmages. 
"Don't mess with Texas"