• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Carlson Relieved of Duties as Head Coach

Started by KL31NY, November 10, 2013, 05:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VUOR63

I think we need a young, hungry coach who has been an assistant for a similar program (I-AA non scholarship). If Valpo does this hire right, the next coach will be here 5 years, tops.  Not because he sucks, but because he gets taken by a better program because he's so good.  Valpo needs to be a stepping stone--not the peak of a career like it was for Carlson.

If I'm in the athletic department, I'm calling all the OCs and DCs at Dayton, Drake, USD, Butler, Jacksonville, all of the IVs etc...  Let's not hit up an NAIA program (or whatever Ohio Dominican school) like we did last time around.

setshot

Had to happen. Way to go ML. The Wittenberg coach should be given a look. Witt. just defeated Wabash and is now a top 10 D3 team. Why not? :cheers:

valpotx

I definitely don't want to celebrate Carlson being let go, as no one wants to see someone lose their job.  However, it was time to make the change, and I very much wish him luck wherever he goes next.  I just think that his coaching style is better suited to the NAIA ranks, as there really wasn't anything fantastic about the play calling.  Once something shows it won't work a few times in a game, or throughout the season, you need to be able to come up with different plays or schemes.  This may have happened some, but it really wasn't evident in the plays called.  Our defense has been a complete embarrassment with so many 20+ yard plays given up, that even if the offense was firing on all cylinders, we would still have an uphill battle. 

Hopefully we get some solid applicants for what is currently one of the worst NCAA D-1 football jobs out there.  You can win in football at Valpo, we just need a guy like VUOR63 talks about, that is wanting to use our job to get somewhere better.  If we can average 5 years per HC for the rest of time, and win consistently, I don't care about the tenure.  Our other sports can be destination jobs for coaches since they offer scholarships and have found success.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I agree with tx's comments. This job for Carlson was a square peg in a round hole.  MLB made the right decision and this will be good for all parties.

Bring in Kiffin!  Young, ready to prove, and won't be around for long.

bbtds

The good or bad of this situation will be determined if one of the football player/students decides to stay at Valpo, complete his education at Valpo, and earn a salary which allows him to invest (gives back) in the football program to make it even better for the next generation of Valpo football players/students.

okinawatyphoon

I'm surprised that the Valpo administration, usually conservative and cautious, decided to terminate Carlson so quickly. I think a shake-up like this might be just what the program needs.  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

bbtds

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on November 10, 2013, 08:53:06 PM
I'm surprised that the Valpo administration, usually conservative and cautious, decided to terminate Carlson so quickly. I think a shake-up like this might be just what the program needs.  :thumbsup:

Was it truly, really that quick? It most likely should have been last year but eating salary doesn't taste so good.

For the benefit of the players/students and the parents and coaches I'm glad it was finally done. Let's regroup this week and get a win over Dayton. I think it would be worth the trip to Brown Field. I'm currently working my schedule to free myself up for Saturday and drive up to Valpo so I can get the bad taste of the Butler game out of my mouth. I didn't stay the whole game.

usc4valpo

Quote from: bbtds on November 10, 2013, 09:26:27 PM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on November 10, 2013, 08:53:06 PMI'm surprised that the Valpo administration, usually conservative and cautious, decided to terminate Carlson so quickly. I think a shake-up like this might be just what the program needs. :thumbsup:
Was it truly, really that quick? It most likely should have been last year but eating salary doesn't taste so good. For the benefit of the players/students and the parents and coaches I'm glad it was finally done. Let's regroup this week and get a win over Dayton. I think it would be worth the trip to Brown Field. I'm currently working my schedule to free myself up for Saturday and drive up to Valpo so I can get the bad taste of the Butler game out of my mouth. I didn't stay the whole game. [/quoteit was not that quick, but Valpo historically is very conservative about situations like this.

But it is time to get this fixed right.

vu72

As for salary eating, my guess is that he had a five year deal so we probably will eat some salary.  Obviously the embarrassment of last Saturday was the final nail.  No doubt ML heard from alumni other than what has been posted on this board.  Just thin about it--we did better against North Dakota is the first game of the year than we did against the bulldogs.

As for a new coach, there are several successful coaches at Lutheran institutions (as setshot mentioned, Wittenberg might be one--(they did much better against Butler than we did) who would consider Valpo a step up (D1), who have great records at the D3 level--essentially what we play. The key is age.  Get a young guy with fire in his belly who can recruit and win!! 

My hope is that this firing will keep the majority of players here to at least wait and see whose next.  The termination now will just add time for the committee to get it right.  ML told me after the Carlson hiring that they had received MANY qualified candidates.

In the meantime let's keep Dale and his family in our prayers.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 10, 2013, 10:19:04 PMAs for a new coach, there are several successful coaches at Lutheran institutions (as setshot mentioned, Wittenberg might be one

Maybe Valpo should get a catholic school coach. You know, CYA with the CYO! No Hope like the Pope! A gaelic cockney like Rockne! Rebirth of Keogan at the Indiana Luther-an!   ::)

willy

Quote from: VUOR63 on November 10, 2013, 05:26:12 PMI think we need a young, hungry coach who has been an assistant for a similar program (I-AA non scholarship). If Valpo does this hire right, the next coach will be here 5 years, tops. Not because he sucks, but because he gets taken by a better program because he's so good. Valpo needs to be a stepping stone--not the peak of a career like it was for Carlson. If I'm in the athletic department, I'm calling all the OCs and DCs at Dayton, Drake, USD, Butler, Jacksonville, all of the IVs etc... Let's not hit up an NAIA program (or whatever Ohio Dominican school) like we did last time around.
MLB did the right thing, it was time to go in a different direction.  I wish Coach Carlson nothing but the best for him and his family in the future.  Drake and Butler have found sucess both taking coaches from Div. 3.  I don't think I would gamble on someone that has not been a head coach before.  I hope the next coach is younger, charismatic and exudes enthusiasm in everything he does.  The next coach needs to recruit the Chicagoland area hard and stop Butler and Drake from stealing great football players right out of our back yard.  Butler had 11 of 22 starters all from the suburbs of Chicago, with 40% of their roster from Illinois.  Drake is the same.

setshot

A concern of mine is that the selection committee will consist of the same people that hired Carlson. What then?

Dave_2010

I checked out the Wittenberg athletic site to read up on HC Joe Fincham for kicks. He seems like an ideal candidate, but I sincerely doubt he's looking to move.

Including his playing days at OU, he has been in Ohio as a player/coach for nearly 30 years and is in his 18th season as Wittenberg's HC (23rd overall). With 9 league titles and 9 DIII playoff appearances, he seems to be to the point where his job will be safe for the remainder of his coaching career. Why leave that stability to come to arguably the worst DI program in the country and risk getting shown the door in a few years? I'm sure other programs with greater historical success have called only to be turned down.

I like the idea of going for a coach who is young and ambitious. As good of a coach as he is, Fincham's 18-year stay at Wittenberg seems to indicate stability is his primary concern, not moving up the coaching ladder.

vu72

Quote from: setshot on November 11, 2013, 11:09:30 AM
A concern of mine is that the selection committee will consist of the same people that hired Carlson. What then?

A fair concern.  I think the difference is that they now perhaps better understand the problem.  When Carlson was hired it was thought that this was a turnaround or restart of a troubled program.  Carlson had started, successfully, two programs from scratch.  I suspect this time they might be looking for a different product--a history of winning, who knows...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Is it safe to call him the best 3-40 FB coach in history?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Same concern.  If the selection committee and ML use the same criteria, of which there were MANY qualified candidates and Carlson was the best, are we going down the same road?

A firing six weeks ago would have allowed the search committee to hire someone from outside Valpo to assess the current football situation, look at other successful programs (especially PFL), and assess what is needed (besides a new coaching staff) for Valpo to become successful.  Have Gerry DiNardo come take a look - what else is he doing Sun thru Fri? 

The new coach will need to be hungry, have great organizational skills, a great evaluator of football talent - both on the field and coaches, and be able to adapt with the talent on hand.  We need to reach out to successful coaches who have moved up in the ranks such as Harbaugh and Lembo, not only to find out what is needed for the overall program to be successful, but to get a list of names they feel would be qualified and ready to take on such a challenge as Valpo. 

Would Teddy return to NW IN from Walsh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: covufan on November 11, 2013, 11:48:13 AM

Same concern.  If the selection committee and ML use the same criteria, of which there were MANY qualified candidates and Carlson was the best, are we going down the same road?

A firing six weeks ago would have allowed the search committee to hire someone from outside Valpo to assess the current football situation, look at other successful programs (especially PFL), and assess what is needed (besides a new coaching staff) for Valpo to become successful.  Have Gerry DiNardo come take a look - what else is he doing Sun thru Fri? 

The new coach will need to be hungry, have great organizational skills, a great evaluator of football talent - both on the field and coaches, and be able to adapt with the talent on hand.  We need to reach out to successful coaches who have moved up in the ranks such as Harbaugh and Lembo, not only to find out what is needed for the overall program to be successful, but to get a list of names they feel would be qualified and ready to take on such a challenge as Valpo. 

Perhaps covufan is on to something.  Harbaugh was new to coaching although he had helped his dad for a few years.  The similarity might be the pro-experience.  Why not find  a young former NFL guy who could come in?  Think about how many kids have said that getting to play for Byrce Drew, as a former NBA player, was a deciding factor?  I'm thinking Norm Amundsen, not as the new coach!  Norm came in and replaced Em Bauer in 1968.  He was a former Green Bay Packer.  His record wasn't record breaking but any of us would take it today! 

He was 47-47-3 overall in 10 years with a record of 4-6 against Butler and 5-5 against St. Joes.  I'll take it!!

bbtds

After Valpo's selection committee finds the candidate that fills all these requirements what are they going to pay him?

Valpo still needs the people in control to come up with the money to reward a coach with these qualities. If not, whoever has these qualities will most likely scoff at the salary and assurances of the backing of the administration. Unless the new coach gets a greater committment from the board of directors Valpo will end up with another Dale Carlson. 

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on November 11, 2013, 12:43:05 PM

Perhaps covufan is on to something.  Harbaugh was new to coaching although he had helped his dad for a few years.  The similarity might be the pro-experience.  Why not find  a young former NFL guy who could come in?  Think about how many kids have said that getting to play for Byrce Drew, as a former NBA player, was a deciding factor?  I'm thinking Norm Amundsen, not as the new coach!  Norm came in and replaced Em Bauer in 1968.  He was a former Green Bay Packer.  His record wasn't record breaking but any of us would take it today! 

He was 47-47-3 overall in 10 years with a record of 4-6 against Butler and 5-5 against St. Joes.  I'll take it!!

I didn't know that Coach Amundsen was a former NFL player!  I always assumed that because of his prior Valpo coaching experience, both he and Coach Koch were given classes to teach in regards to P.E.  I had Amundsen for a weightlifting class one year, and he seemed like a quality guy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on November 11, 2013, 12:48:39 PM

After Valpo's selection committee finds the candidate that fills all these requirements what are they going to pay him?

Valpo still needs the people in control to come up with the money to reward a coach with these qualities. If not, whoever has these qualities will most likely scoff at the salary and assurances of the backing of the administration. Unless the new coach gets a greater committment from the board of directors Valpo will end up with another Dale Carlson. 

You may be right but what are your sources?  I have no idea what our coaches are paid and whether or not they are competitive with peer institutions.

All I can rely on is what the Strategic Plan says:

Strategy 6.F: Compensate coaches/staff at or above the median level of compensation among
peer institutions.

VUOR63

Very astute point, setshot.I don't think it would be smart to hire a head coach from a smaller school--we've already seen that coaching a smaller school doesn't necessarily translate into success at Valpo.In the late 90s, early 00s, Valpo had some young GAs and position coaches who have been successful elsewhere.  The wide receivers coach when I played was a young guy named Chip Taylor...not sure if he'd be interested in the job but if he has anywhere close to the same drive he did back then, he'd be a home run.  There are also a number of former players who are coaching at different schools--you would think an alum would take some ownership over the program.

valpo95

The reality of Carlson's hire is that he had a strong track record of building programs at lower levels.  Furthermore, it seemed (at least to someone outside) that his players did not get in trouble off the field.  What got him fired was going 3-40 over four seasons, plus getting drilled by Butler on Saturday.  So, it may not have been a bad decision to hire Carlson given what was known at the time, but it clearly was a bad outcome based on what we know now.  We have to distinguish a reasonable process from the outcome.

The good news is that anyone who comes here knows that he has some time to get this right -- as has been said elsewhere, he has to be an up-and-comer.  In the end, there are only 250 of these positions in the country, and that has to appeal to someone. 

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on November 11, 2013, 12:43:05 PM

Mike Minter at Campbell doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire as maybe expected.