• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Vavra Wins NWL Batting Championship

Started by KL31NY, August 13, 2012, 12:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Valpo's Tanner Vavra won the batting title for the Northwoods League during this summer. Vavra (.381 AVG) narrowly beat out James Ramsay of USF by less than four-tenths of a batting average point. Vavra was also voted a mid-season and postseason league all-star along with his younger brother Trey. Tanner was playing with the Alexandria (MN) Beetles while Trey was playing with the Duluth (MN) Huskies. I've been announcing for the Waterloo (IA) Bucks the past couple summers so I've been keeping tabs on the Vavra clan.

Valpo usually has a couple players each year play in the "NWL." It's a summer league right behind the Cape Cod League in terms of prestige and quality of top prospects. Teams play 70 games in 75 days during the regular season in a schedule and playing experience fairly similar to low-A minor league teams.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

This guy just keeps amazing me more and more.  Definitely a fan!
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

https://twitter.com/RobbyFSN/status/235793959476162560

The link in the tweet is from May and has already been posted here, but the interview mentioned was today.  Unfortunately, I do not see a link to said interview.

covufan

Quote from: KL31NY on August 13, 2012, 12:54:40 PM
Valpo's Tanner Vavra won the batting title for the Northwoods League during this summer. Vavra (.381 AVG) narrowly beat out James Ramsay of USF by less than four-tenths of a batting average point. Vavra was also voted a mid-season and postseason league all-star along with his younger brother Trey. Tanner was playing with the Alexandria (MN) Beetles while Trey was playing with the Duluth (MN) Huskies. I've been announcing for the Waterloo (IA) Bucks the past couple summers so I've been keeping tabs on the Vavra clan.

Valpo usually has a couple players each year play in the "NWL." It's a summer league right behind the Cape Cod League in terms of prestige and quality of top prospects. Teams play 70 games in 75 days during the regular season in a schedule and playing experience fairly similar to low-A minor league teams.
Congrats to Tanner!  Should be an interesting spring!

historyman

Tanner Vavra was named as one of five winners of the Tom Walter College Baseball Inspiration Award.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2012-13/11915/vavra-named-tom-walter-award-winner/

The Tom Walter Award's namesake is currently the head coach at Wake Forest, where he donated a kidney to freshman outfielder Kevin Jordan prior to the 2011 season.  The 2012 winners include Marty Gantt from College of Charleston, Mike Kent from Clemson, Alex Silver from Texas and Carter Smith from UT Martin (born with no right hand) in addition to Vavra.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUfan

"Vavra has succeeded on the diamond while being blind in one eye after suffering a pair of injuries to the eye during his youth." That is Amazing!  :o

KL31NY

Vavra was also named the Rawlings "Big Stick" Award winner among Northwoods League 2nd basemen. It's basically the NWL's version of the Silver Slugger
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

I look forward to the season in a few months, and hopefully a repeat championship!
"Don't mess with Texas"