• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Track - who owns scheduling and website

Started by momofalex, December 08, 2015, 02:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momofalex

Today is 12/8/15 and the track team had their first meet on 12/4.  If you look at valpoathletics.com you will not see any roster information, any schedule, or ANYTHING other than a recap of the meet with a picture of Sarah Peters vaulting last season.  The schedule given to the track athletes didn't even have the 12/4 meet on it - it showed a different meet for 12/5 that doesn't exist.

My question/frustration/statement is this - if we are a D1 program, why don't we act like one?  Why can't we publish a schedule?  Why doesn't the track team have the nice posters that are published for the other teams? (Golf just came out today.)  Why can't we update the website with athlete information?  If you look at any of the other Horizon League track team websites they all have their schedules and rosters updated.  Why not Valpo?

I am not sure where the responsibility for these sorts of things resides - I emailed an admin for the Athletic Department (found her by digging around in the directory on valpo.edu) and it took 2 follow ups from me before I got a response that the website was to be updated that day (12/1).  That didn't happen. 

Is it Coach Moore who does the scheduling?  What about the website updates?  Does anyone know that these things aren't happening?

ok, I'm done with my rant, but honestly, this stuff isn't hard and it would certainly help improve the stature of the program.

VU2624

Quote from: momofalex on December 08, 2015, 02:05:38 PM
Today is 12/8/15 and the track team had their first meet on 12/4.  If you look at valpoathletics.com you will not see any roster information, any schedule, or ANYTHING other than a recap of the meet with a picture of Sarah Peters vaulting last season.  The schedule given to the track athletes didn't even have the 12/4 meet on it - it showed a different meet for 12/5 that doesn't exist.

My question/frustration/statement is this - if we are a D1 program, why don't we act like one?  Why can't we publish a schedule?  Why doesn't the track team have the nice posters that are published for the other teams? (Golf just came out today.)  Why can't we update the website with athlete information?  If you look at any of the other Horizon League track team websites they all have their schedules and rosters updated.  Why not Valpo?

I am not sure where the responsibility for these sorts of things resides - I emailed an admin for the Athletic Department (found her by digging around in the directory on valpo.edu) and it took 2 follow ups from me before I got a response that the website was to be updated that day (12/1).  That didn't happen. 

Is it Coach Moore who does the scheduling?  What about the website updates?  Does anyone know that these things aren't happening?

ok, I'm done with my rant, but honestly, this stuff isn't hard and it would certainly help improve the stature of the program.

Good questions and I've been wondering myself. In past years, the roster has taken a few meets to settle on and be published but the schedule is usually up for a while prior to the indoor season.

Looks like they may be loading the pages currently. The team picture is up on the roster page but the roster is not. The coach bio pages have not been loaded yet and there still is no schedule.

momofalex

Thanks for commiserating VU2624.  FWIW, the team pictures on the roster pages was added in the last few days.  BTW, those pictures were taken in the fall - coach Moore shared them on his facebook page in October.

VULB#62

I don't have the answers to your questions, momofalex, but I have an opinion (who doesn't on this board  ::) ?)

If I were recently hired as the new, say, tiddly-winks head coach, I would see my role as having five key components:

1 - Obviously, coaching -- both the technical aspects as well as the strategic aspects of the sport
2 - Recruiting -- making sure I attracted the best tiddly-winks players to enroll at Valpo.
3 - Monitoring player academic progress.
4 - Team logistics and administration - scheduling, ordering equipment and uniforms, etc.  and....
5 - Promoting my tiddly-winks program.

That last component means that while I may not be doing all of it directly,  I would at least set promotional objectives and a schedule of what promotional/news items needed to be developed and updated over the course of the year and hold the SID's office accountable for meeting those objectives. I would submit updated required information as early as possible to support the staff and insist that my program receive the attention it deserves.  If that means pestering an already busy staffer, so be it.  If that means escalating a complaint to the AD. So be it.  But my tiddly-winks program depends on my staying on top of this activity.

Yet, of the 5, this is the easiest to forget about and just let slide.  It's easy to rationalize that I have to focus on coaching first and foremost. But I would argue that it just might be the #3 key component of a successful college tiddly-winks program, and one that directly and significantly impacts responsibilities #1 and #2 of my job description. Without it, I am handicapping myself.

BTW, I am a former member of the Valpo T&F team.

momofalex

Thank you for validating my expectations.  I don't know when you were on the track team but would be curious to know if things were different then.   And also, do you know of this is a "known issue" or is it something recent.  My son is a sophomore so I'm still new to the environment - and of course I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

webbvufan

I've also wondered about the University's commitment level to the track program.  Of course, the fact that we never even had a track until recently helped shape that opinion.  I've met Coach Moore, Coach Straubel, and Coach Pukstys before and was very impressed by each of them.  If there is a problem, I really don't think it comes from the coaching staff. 

Recently, I've started to wonder about the resources Coach Moore is given to work with, particularly his recruiting budget. My daughter is currently a senior in high school and is being recruited by several mid and high major D1 track and field programs from across the country.  Despite her being in Valpo's own back yard, she has never heard from them.  It's not sour grapes; she has always wanted to attend a larger school, so VU was never an option for her.  It's just odd that they never even contacted her to find that out.     

valporun

Based on how things are now, the website updating for the track program is left up to a graduate assistant in the sports information department. The scheduling should a matter handled by the athletic director and the head coach. In terms of how the website is handled, with it being done by a GA for that specific sport, he/she isn't working with the track program alone. This person might also have women's bowling, mens/womens swimming and diving, and tennis or some other sport within the athletic department, and currently priority goes to the teams that are "in season". Yes, it annoying that it takes so much time, but when the person in charge of the sports info side is also focusing on classes, time is little to focus on immediate updates of everything happening for every team they are responsible for. Also, the roster has always seemed to take time to finalize, based on early camp having athletes decide they don't want to commit to college track when classes pick up, or they just don't find the program rewarding, when they aren't the one expected to carry the program to glory. I ran for Valpo back when the SIDs were Bill Rodgers and Ryan Wronkowicz, and I know they were busy keeping up with everything, and didn't have the help of grad assistants.

valporun

Quote from: webbvufan on December 08, 2015, 05:12:31 PM
I've also wondered about the University's commitment level to the track program.  Of course, the fact that we never even had a track until recently helped shape that opinion.  I've met Coach Moore, Coach Straubel, and Coach Pukstys before and was very impressed by each of them.  If there is a problem, I really don't think it comes from the coaching staff. 

Recently, I've started to wonder about the resources Coach Moore is given to work with, particularly his recruiting budget. My daughter is currently a senior in high school and is being recruited by several mid and high major D1 track and field programs from across the country.  Despite her being in Valpo's own back yard, she has never heard from them.  It's not sour grapes; she has always wanted to attend a larger school, so VU was never an option for her.  It's just odd that they never even contacted her to find that out.     

How much of the lack of local recruiting is due to knowing the local athletes don't look at VU because they do want to get away from home?

momofalex

I've seen comments in other threads discussing the lack of recruiting for track.  Our experience was a bit better than yours in that our son received a post card, but from that point on it really was us coordinating any relationship.  I remember mentioning the lack of communication on our visit (we had to reach out multiple times saying our son was interested before we got any response) and Moore and Overbo  explained that they were transitioning the recruiting responsibilities and that we must have gotten lost in the transition. 

If I were a potential Crusader and wanted to know where the team competes I'd only look once at the website and then move on to another school.  :(

Good luck to your daughter VULB #62 I hope she finds a great fit for her.

webbvufan

That's a fair point, Valporun, but would have been an incorrect assumption in my daughter's case.  Of the final list of schools she is considering, 2 of them are in Indiana.  If memory serves, Valpo and Purdue are the only D1 schools in Indiana that she never heard from.     

VULB#62

Quote from: valporun on December 08, 2015, 05:18:57 PM
Quote from: webbvufan on December 08, 2015, 05:12:31 PM

How much of the lack of local recruiting is due to knowing the local athletes don't look at VU because they do want to get away from home?

"Assuming makes an a$$ of you and me."  If a kid, regardless of location, has D-I potential he/she should at least get an initial communication. Regarding the department support ( grad assistants), that is their job.  Normally, if my job hinged on getting good athletes to coach, and if people assigned to help me can't always get the job done for me, I'd raise some issues. But then, if it didn't, I could see not putting energy into it. But that flies in the face of the stated athletic department goal of pursuing excellence, doesn't it?

VU2624

Quote from: momofalex on December 08, 2015, 04:43:17 PMThank you for validating my expectations.  I don't know when you were on the track team but would be curious to know if things were different then.   And also, do you know of this is a "known issue" or is it something recent.  My son is a sophomore so I'm still new to the environment - and of course I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

As I said, in recent years, the roster would not have been finalized by this point however the schedule would definitely be up. The team picture was not typically taken until the athletes returned after winter break.

Re: schedule: In recent years the meets they actually compete in were not necessarily what was on the schedule. I've never quite figured out why this might be but it has happened. I can understand listing the Meyo meet at ND and then moving elsewhere if there weren't any athletes who it would make sense to enter but some of the meets were unrealistic from the get go.

Re: roster: The roster remains fluid during this period of time because there are/could be football players who still may be deciding if they wish to compete plus they have to get into track shape during this time rather than worrying about competing. Brandon Riley, for instance, is a safety on the football team but was also the team's best 400m runner. Don't know if he's competing this year as he didn't this past Saturday. In addition, there are new students and possibly those who make last minute decisions not to return to deal with. So holding off on a final roster makes sense to me.

Re: coaches: the staff make up is a little bizarre to me. In addition to the more senior coaches in Moore and Straubel, you have coach Hicks who is the new sprint coach and, I believe, is a GA who competed last year in Texas. Then, for a reason I have to find out eventually, Tom Pukstys is on the staff. Coach Pukstys is a two time Olympian in the javelin and 6 time US National champion. There seems to be just a bit of a difference in staff on those last two. :-)

covufan

Quote from: VU2624 on December 08, 2015, 07:45:12 PMThen, for a reason I have to find out eventually, Tom Pukstys is on the staff. Coach Pukstys is a two time Olympian in the javelin and 6 time US National champion. There seems to be just a bit of a difference in staff on those last two. :-)

Wow, that is one impressive resume to have as an assistant coach!  My guess is that he lives/works in the area, and someone asked if he would help out.  I can't imagine that our track program has a pile of resumes like this to choose from on a regular basis.

VU2624

Coach Pukstys is working on his masters in Sports Admin at Valpo. Article in The Torch from a year or so ago.

http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_9c7a6b7e-822d-11e4-b264-8784eae63622.html

momofalex

Thanks for the update - I had looked this morning and it wasn't there. 

VU2624

Now if we can teach coach Hicks how to submit seed times we'll be all set. They were....um....interesting....for the first meet.  :lol:

VULB#62

The 2016 HL T&F Championship will be held on VU's Hoger Track.

Every HS track coach within a 100 mile radius (maybe more???) should receive a personal invitation from the VU coaching staff to attend this meet.  And along with that an invitation to bring their best track athletes (emphasis on juniors and younger?) to attend.  This will be THE BEST opportunity in decades for Valpo T&F to showcase itself.  All stops should be pulled and everything possible done to present Valpo University, and the VU T&F program, in the best possible light over this weekend.

This is a wonderful recruiting opportunity that cannot be blown.  T&F needs to tap into the recruiting mentality and expertise of higher profile sports like MBB and FB and Baseball, to put together a program (tours, receptions, etc.) that will generate interest and get kids and coaches excited about Valpo and Crusader T&F.   :twocents:

momofalex

Brilliant! :thumbsup:   Any chance that could happen?   Granted it will only be the third meet Valpo will have ever hosted.   How much does HL help and how much is the hosting school's responsibility?   Last years Crusader Open wasn't a fair measure of how well we put together a meet since the weather was god awful so you couldn't tell what went well and what didn't. 

The reason I ask is I'd hate to bring in lots of potential recruits only to show that we're still figuring it all out.

VU2624

The meet should be publicized but I don't think it can be easily turned into what amounts to a semi recruiting show. The first responsibility the coaching staff has it to run the meet and run it properly and on time. It is not to concern themselves with attendees not entered. I don't know how many of the coaches have had experience officiating a meet or if the HL itself has it's own crew but meet preparation is not easy. I've done it so I know. Maybe I'll make myself useful and see if they need help.

valporun

I don't know that VU can have some kind of hosted recruiting event during the HL Championships, as this means providing FREE admission to an event not sponsored by the school directly. All we are doing is hosting the meet, but it is sponsored by the Horizon League. Also, having coached track before, a lot of high schools during these two weekends are going into Championship mode, so the coaches are focused on winning conference titles and getting athletes ready for the State series of track meets leading up to the State Finals. Would I like to see a lot of high school coaches at these two meets? Sure, but with the conference championships being 3 days, a lot of coaches can't take that much time away from their coaching responsibilities. Big meets for high schools are happening right around this time, and track is one of the more difficult sports to do recruiting at meets because coaching staffs are small, and not able to spend time talking with college coaches while having athletes running, jumping, throwing, or sitting around waiting to compete. It definitely isn't like football, basketball, or any of the summer recruiting periods. Coaches just don't have the time to go out and recruit. They have to spend a lot of time looking at results from meets online, and that can be tough to judge based on the teams at the meets, weather, and how long of a day the meet may have required.

VULB#62

Point well taken -- they have to coach and run the meet.  Let's not put all the pressure on the T&F coaches.  How about the athletic department seizing the day and providing all the necessary support for T&F?  Not much has been done in the past.  Time to rectify that?

Regarding that HS track coaches may be busy at the same time:  it doesn't matter. It's the invite that counts. ( Which goes back to the original issue -- lack of consistent outreach to all HS track coaches in northern Indiana, SW Michigan and northern Illinois.)

valporun

Around this time of year, the HS coaches are also at some of the big high school invitationals coaching their teams.

VU2624

momofalex