• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Softball Twitter Suspended for Post Two Years Ago?

Started by valpopal, July 31, 2019, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I saw this curious message from Coach Stake on Twitter, and I was reminded about how out of proportion and preposterous social media actions can be. I also thought that we might be missing an opportunity for widespread publicity. Why not publicize that one of Valpo's sports has been suspended by Taylor Swift's representation for a post two years ago, and is being prevented from participation on Twitter because of an innocent, probably complimentary, use of a brief snippet from a Taylor Swift song? I can only see this as a good way of getting Valpo's name into the news with sympathy from most people. Just associating Valpo with Taylor Swift's name would gain thousands of retweets (she has 84 million followers, mostly in high school or at college age), and it might even engender a comment from Swift herself. Maybe she would even contribute to Valpo or promise to visit as a goodwill gesture. I don't fully believe that all publicity is good as long as the name is spelled correctly; however, any publicity in this case can only be good for VU!

@taylorswift13
's representation suspended our account because we used a song of hers two years ago in a 20 second clip. And for the past two months I've been unable to get us back up and running. Will throw a party when I do, though.

JD24

Typically twitter doesn't suspend accounts for one DMCA complaint although I'm sure it happens. It's usually multiple complaints which cause the account to be suspended. So I'm not sure we're getting the full story here.

DMCA complaints are a pain to deal with in all sorts of electronic media as, often, the social media site will not remove the suspension without having the original complaint removed which involves contacting the originator of the complaint and begging forgiveness, promising not to do it again and a note from mom. The other is challenging the complaint which can get into all sorts of legal issues that, in this case, there's no way financially either the coach of Valpo would want to get involved in. I don't think going through twitter.com to ask to have it reinstated will work. This is why if you get one complaint, make sure you don't get another.