• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball 2020

Started by valpotx, February 22, 2020, 02:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

We should have a solid team this season, after watching several of the games to this point.  We took 1 of 3 at Western Kentucky, and have dropped the first two at #3 Louisville.  Anyone else watching?  If so, what are our guys wearing in their belt buckle area?  It looks like a reflective screen with some paper behind it, so maybe some situational plays?
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2020, 02:57:54 PM
We should have a solid team this season, after watching several of the games to this point.  We took 1 of 3 at Western Kentucky, and have dropped the first two at #3 Louisville.  Anyone else watching?  If so, what are our guys wearing in their belt buckle area?  It looks like a reflective screen with some paper behind it, so maybe some situational plays?

Actually heard a mention during the UNC-Louisville basketball broadcast.  They mentioned that Valpo batters struck out 40 times in the first two games against Louisville.  Seems that's the way the game is heading ... home run or strikeout.

valpotx

They faced the ACC Pitcher of the Year in their first game against UL, and had something like 17ks against him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2020, 06:55:12 PM
They faced the ACC Pitcher of the Year in their first game against UL, and had something like 17ks against him.

I watched much of both games and clearly their pitchers are pros--but--we hung in there with our own good pitching and fielding.  I like our chances once we thaw out from practicing in the ARC!!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

What happened this year? I thought we were making progress in baseball. Are we just young playing a really tough schedule or are we bad?

valpotx

It is an extremely tough schedule, as I believe we have only faced 1 opponent that did not make the NCAA tourney last season.  We've only had 2 losses that weren't close.  I am not worried at this point, as Schmack scheduled tough to prepare for one of the top baseball conferences.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Spring sports receive another year of eligibility! So that's good! Hopefully the players will take the experience they did get this year and be better suited for competition going forward!

valpotx

We will see who decides to stay for another year, if they were set to graduate.  With new recruits coming in, it creates an interesting dynamic.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Any news on the baseball program?  Schedule, recruits, expectations?