• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2022-23 Swimming

Started by VULB#62, February 03, 2023, 08:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Until I looked at the Athletic Dept website closely this morning, I didn't realize that the VU Swiming & Diving team uses the Valparaiso Aquatics Center for meets. It was built for $45 million and is 50m x 25m. Great facility. I assume the swim program still uses the 60 year-old ARC pool for daily practices though. But this arrangement, coupled with competition in the MAC, certainly could help in the recruiting of better swimmers to the program.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2023, 08:59:21 AMVU Swiming & Diving team uses the Valparaiso Aquatics Center for meets. It was built for $45 million and is 50m x 25m. Great facility. I assume the swim program still uses the 60 year-old ARC pool for daily practices though. But this arrangement, coupled with competition in the MAC, certainly could help in the recruiting of better swimmers to the program.

So the huge disadvantage Valpo has being in the Valley, or any conference really, is that we are maybe the smallest school that is also located in the smallest city.  Schools even like Evansville and including schools like Missouri State and most others are playing in facilities either built by taxpayer money or owned by the local city/county. That is a largely overlooked part of the disgruntled, despondent fans on this board when comparing our ARC to their 11000 seat arenas.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2023, 08:59:21 AMVU Swiming & Diving team uses the Valparaiso Aquatics Center for meets. It was built for $45 million and is 50m x 25m. Great facility.

https://www.valpo.k12.in.us/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1644405&type=d&pREC_ID=1786738

The VAC was built within Valparaiso High School. It is good to see the pics of the facility.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Having a competitive Swimming & Diving program for M & W would be a first for Valpo, for as long as I have followed the athletics program.  It's always just been there as an option, but we only boast about personal records that folks might achieve, versus winning and actual program records.  Hopefully having this competitive facility allows us to have a decent program moving forward.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

My recollection from the time the ARC pool opened in 1962ish is that S&D was never a priority on a team basis — in my time Ole Larson, an assistant FB coach, was the HC and the swimmers I knew basically coached each other. And you're right on the Personal Record, Pool Record and School Record emphasis over winning dual meets. Valpo has never, to my knowledge ever challenged for a team championship at a league championship meet (which is achievable in swimming even if your dual meet record isn't great — if you have just a couple of great individuals who can dominate multiple events).

BUT............. Access to the VAC (at least for meets) might be a game changer.  Hopefully, VUSwim sees this string and chimes in. He has a very good understanding of the culture and priorities at work here.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 05, 2023, 03:56:44 PM
My recollection from the time the ARC pool opened in 1962ish is that S&D was never a priority on a team basis — in my time Ole Larson, an assistant FB coach, was the HC and the swimmers I knew basically coached each other. And you're right on the Personal Record, Pool Record and School Record emphasis over winning dual meets. Valpo has never, to my knowledge ever challenged for a team championship at a league championship meet (which is achievable in swimming even if your dual meet record isn't great — if you have just a couple of great individuals who can dominate multiple events).

BUT............. Access to the VAC (at least for meets) might be a game changer.  Hopefully, VUSwim sees this string and chimes in. He has a very good understanding of the culture and priorities at work here.

No more Bretschers being cleaned up by their Pastor-father in the Valpo pools.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUSWIM08-12

Thanks 62! I should check this more often lol. Obviously it is huge that VU can use the VAC, there had been talks for 15 yrs and finally Valpo schools committed to a new aquatics facility. VU and Valpo Schools had disagreements on the location of the new facility and although VU wanted one they wanted it in the old hospital lot and VU schools wanted it on their campus. Ultimately neither would budge, but now VU pays Valpo Schools a pretty penny to rent for meets. VAC is one of two premier facilities in NWI with Munster being the other.

Great for recruiting purposes and hosting bigger meets. I still cringe from 12 yrs ago when Notre Dame brought their JV team to the ARC, and they wondered WTF haha. In order for VU to compete in the MVC/MAC the school will have to invest in more scholarships. In my time and as of a couple yrs ago there was one full ride on each side. With 3-4 on each side they could be more competitive.

A 2005 Valpo grad is currently running the program and doing a great job with what she has been given !!