• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Hall of Fame 2024

Started by valpopal, December 21, 2023, 11:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Four individuals will be inducted into the Valpo Athletics Hall of Fame Saturday, Feb. 10 as the Class of 2024. Raitis Grafs '03, Jon Robisch '64, Jordan Rutkowski '12, and Ozzie Young '96 comprise the 26th class in Hall of Fame history....

The Hall of Fame induction will take place as part of the inaugural All-Sports Reunion weekend Feb. 9-10, 2024. The induction luncheon is slated for midday on Saturday, Feb. 10, and the inductees will be honored at that afternoon's men's basketball game as well. Further details about the induction luncheon and registration information will be available in the coming weeks.

[tweet]1737884704509223388[/tweet]

valpotx

Congrats to all, but especially to my one-time Berg few doors down neighbor, Raitis!  Well-deserved and I am glad to see him finally gain this recognition.  He was an absolute monster, especially when he was giving 100%.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I nominated Eugene Parker who again did not get it, and for what he has done for minorities in sports it is a travesty Valpo has not elected him in the HOF.

valporun

When did Eugene Parker attend VU, what sport(s), and how notable was his contribution?

usc4valpo

He is one of the most influential African Americans who has had an influence in sports and was a great representative at Valparaiso. He was a student coach for 2 years and made a tremendous impact to many players. No Valpo HOF is complete without Eugene Parker.

valporun

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 04, 2024, 05:17:23 PM
He is one of the most influential African Americans who has had an influence in sports and was a great representative at Valparaiso. He was a student coach for 2 years and made a tremendous impact to many players. No Valpo HOF is complete without Eugene Parker.

You didn't really answer my questions about what sport he played/coached, or what years he did that.

usc4valpo

He coached basketball from 1980 to 1982.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on February 04, 2024, 07:39:56 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on February 04, 2024, 05:17:23 PM

You didn't really answer my questions about what sport he played/coached, or what years he did that.

Try this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Parker_%28sports_agent%29
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Eugene played his college basketball at Purdue.

usc4valpo

yes but coached at Valpo for 2 years and was a huge gamechanger and influencer in American sports. Valpo needs to recognize this, and it is really sad he does not get considered.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 05, 2024, 11:30:40 AM
yes but coached at Valpo for 2 years and was a huge gamechanger and influencer in American sports. Valpo needs to recognize this, and it is really sad he does not get considered.

Maybe some type of Distinguished Alumni HoF, if it doesn't already exist?  I get what you are saying on impact, but as a former VU athlete, I see the Athletics HoF as needing to be tied to accomplishments on the field/court or coaching/administering Valpo athletes in an exceptional way. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on February 06, 2024, 02:17:40 PM

Maybe some type of Distinguished Alumni HoF, if it doesn't already exist?  I get what you are saying on impact, but as a former VU athlete, I see the Athletics HoF as needing to be tied to accomplishments on the field/court or coaching/administering Valpo athletes in an exceptional way.
Guidelines for Hall of Fame nominations seem to allow consideration of off the court post-graduation achievements:

Former athletes, coaches, administrators and support personnel at Valparaiso University are eligible for nomination to the Athletics Hall of Fame, as well as former students who have had outstanding careers in athletics-related fields after leaving Valpo.

usc4valpo

game, set, match. C'mon Valpo do the right thing!

ask Coach Prime:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDqO7JNAH94/

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on February 06, 2024, 02:47:54 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 06, 2024, 02:17:40 PM

Guidelines for Hall of Fame nominations seem to allow consideration of off the court post-graduation achievements:

Former athletes, coaches, administrators and support personnel at Valparaiso University are eligible for nomination to the Athletics Hall of Fame, as well as former students who have had outstanding careers in athletics-related fields after leaving Valpo.

Does the Law School represent such a thing?  I wouldn't view Law School folks as being core to an Athletics HoF, but they aren't my guidelines.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

tx - of course it does. I am totally blown away that Valparaiso University has not acknowledged Parker's contributions and impact on athletics.