• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball News?

Started by Valposter, January 25, 2014, 01:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

So by checking the roster (along with the single announcement) it looks like a 2014-15 class of 5 freshman, a Fresno transfer and 2 JCs for a total of 8 out of a total of 35.  That's aroundt 25% and makes sense.

valporun

Had the pleasure of working with the Beloit Snappers last night, and they were playing the Cedar Rapids Kernels, the Class A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins, and after the game I met and talked with Tanner Vavra. We did some reflecting on Valpo, talked about the fact that he was glad that he got a scholarship to attend Valpo, as he couldn't afford a $40,000+ tuition bill without it, and the difference in how much Valpo costs now compared to when valpotx and I were there from 1999-2004. I also mentioned to him where I was from, outside of Rockford, IL, and dropped the news to him that Michael Morman is going to Richmond now to play for Tracy Woodson, which Tanner hadn't heard. (Such is the life of a bus league like the low minors, where you might/might not get the best internet/wifi service for the time you have in hotels or host families.) Tanner is a good guy, loves talking about Valpo, but also is enjoying life. I wished him the best not only from myself, but also those of us here.

Game recap: Tanner was 1-3 with 2 rbis, a run scored, and 2 walks. He had a nice bloop single to right in the 6th inning to score two, and end the scoring, for the Kernels.

Also, if any of you live close to the Beloit, WI area, Cedar Rapids is still in tonight and tomorrow to finish out the season series. It would be awesome to see some other Valpo grads out there to show him some support. Tickets and the game experience are very inexpensive, tickets from  $7-9, and food/beverage ranges between $2-6. Come on out and show Tanner some Valpo love! Games start at 7PM, and gates open at 6PM. Wear some Valpo gear, and I'll see you out there.

valpotx

Good to hear that he reflects on his time at Valpo in a positive manner!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

One of my favorite athletes I've ever been around at Valpo.

valpotx

I imagine so, but no one can beat Kikas Gomes in my mind :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

Jase01

Haven't read any baseball news for quite some time..
Football Odds tipster and combat sports lover.

vu72

Quote from: Jase01 on February 03, 2015, 01:02:38 AM
Haven't read any baseball news for quite some time..

OK, here's some.  We will be playing at San Diego State February 13-15, when they will be honoring Tony Gwynn.

http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_newscenter/news.aspx?s=75412
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

We haven't had as much baseball news because jetz has relocated, and has had a lot more work responsibilities in his new location. Once games get started, I'm sure we'll have more, but without jetz's insider information, it does feel like baseball is a lost topic of discussion on this board.

valpo64

The SDSU website shows general admission baseball tickets cost $8.25..makes me wonder what our prices are.

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on February 03, 2015, 01:49:46 PMThe SDSU website shows general admission baseball tickets cost $8.25..makes me wonder what our prices are.

nil
aught
blank
bottom
cipher
love
nada
nadir
naught
nix
nobody
nonentity
nought
nullity
oblivion
scratch
shutout
void
zilch
zip
insignificancy
lowest point
ought
rock bottom
zot
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

C'mon man.  You forgot:  $0.00 and Free!

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2015, 04:57:21 PMC'mon man.  You forgot:  $0.00 and Free!

As Pete Carroll would say:

Not forgotten, avoided.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

So true. Why go with the obvious when you can confound a nation.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 03, 2015, 07:41:05 PM
So true. Why go with the obvious when you can confound a nation.

If it had worked they would be saying terrible things about Belichick and Brady.

Oh, wait........................they already do that.

valpotx

Baseball will not die on this forum!!!!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

[tweet]563727501655293952[/tweet]

Also, Ellis Foreman picked for the second team and Connor Kaucic named preseason selection as Freshman of the Year!

FWalum

Listening to the Crusaders VS the Aztecs after the basketball game and thought WOW this color guy on the broadcast really seems to know his stuff and has great insight into the game and then the play by play guy calls the guy Tony and you realize it is Tony Gwynn Jr.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

It's good to see that Gaedele is seemingly healthy now, after sitting out much of his AA season last year.  It must be so cool to play against some of these guys that he plays against in Spring Training!

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=350328113
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

[tweet]583780757744832514[/tweet]