• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball 2012

Started by jetz, August 28, 2011, 12:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Interesting note on the team's travel schedule...I see we're doing "out and backs" -- (no hotels) -- to the UIC series and also no hotel planned for the Horizon League Championships which are also in Chicago.  Valpotx, do you recall this as standard?  Any issues with playing games while traveling to downtown Chicago and back three days in a row?  Also, out and backs to Indiana State and Western Michigan.  Get used to the bus, boys!!   :-\

The team got a piece of good news last week when UCONN transfer Zack Walsh was given an eligibility waiver from the NCAA.  He will be able to play right away.  He is a RS freshman C/RHP.

I'll also be at the Arkansas series. Maybe we'll see TX in the Regionals.  Here's hopin'... 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valpotx

Yes, it was fairly standard for closer games to just head home after the games to save $$.  We never had a conference tournament close by when I was in school (always at ORU), so we always had hotels for that one obviously. 

It does appear that the HL champ typically gets sent down here for the regionals.  It is my hope that when we make the NCAA tournament in the near future, we are sent to either a Baylor, Rice, Texas, or TCU regional  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Louisville Slugger 2012 Preseason All-American teams are out.  Wright State is the only Horizon League team to put players on the list, with relief pitcher Michael Schum making the Second Team and 1B Jake Hibberd getting a nod on the Third Team. Obviously the defending champs will be the team to beat in the HL this year.  Get 'em Valpo! 

Valpo1b

Quote from: jetz on December 20, 2011, 11:16:02 AMInteresting note on the team's travel schedule...I see we're doing "out and backs" -- (no hotels) -- to the UIC series and also no hotel planned for the Horizon League Championships which are also in Chicago. Valpotx, do you recall this as standard? Any issues with playing games while traveling to downtown Chicago and back three days in a row? Also, out and backs to Indiana State and Western Michigan. Get used to the bus, boys!!

This is standard in college baseball. The trips to Indiana State, Chicago, IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Western Mich, and even CMU are "out and backs" as you refer to them. Mid-week games are one day trips to limit the number of classes missed. They save money too, as Valpotx mentions, but the prime reason is to limit missed classes.
Most college teams treat games this way, with hotel stays limited to weekend series or distance travel where commuting is not an option. Trips to UIC have been day trips for the history of the program. Chicago is an hour away from campus, and sleeping in their own beds should be a greater benefit to the players than staying in a hotel and saving 30 minutes on the bus.

valpotx

Yes, sleeping in your own bed is underestimated by a lot of people.  When you are out on the road, you have the feeling of being out of place and not able to really do anything.  While you study and do homework, it can just feel odd to be stuck in a hotel in-between practices/games.  This is obviously why a lot of home teams in sports usually win more often, that comfortable feeling can go a long way.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I never liked not sleeping in my own bed during cross country or track season. I always knew the bed would be contoured appropriately for me, the sheets and pillow were comfortable, and I knew just what kind of noise/silence I need to get settled. Being in a strange room with people that you didn't room with on campus can be unnerving because you're having to learn their quirks, when all you want to do is go to bed when you normally do, and not have someone bugging you with their need to have the tv on, laughter, tossing and turning, flatulence/burping, and other things they would need to get settled. Of course, we only stayed in hotels for conference and regionals, during cross country, and occasionally had a hotel stay for track because of the distance travelled and when the competition for that portion of the day was ending, and the start of the next day's competition.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on December 21, 2011, 02:46:32 PMbecause you're having to learn their quirks, when all you want to do is go to bed when you normally do, and not have someone bugging you with their need to have the tv on, laughter, tossing and turning, flatulence/burping, and other things they would need to get settled.

You never had brothers that you had to share a room with growing up, did you?    :-[

valporun

Quote from: bbtds on December 21, 2011, 10:11:36 PM
Quote from: valporun on December 21, 2011, 02:46:32 PMbecause you're having to learn their quirks, when all you want to do is go to bed when you normally do, and not have someone bugging you with their need to have the tv on, laughter, tossing and turning, flatulence/burping, and other things they would need to get settled.

You never had brothers that you had to share a room with growing up, did you?    :-[

Nope! The perk of being the oldest was having my own room.

jetz

Congrats to Coach Tracey Woodson, who will be admitted to the North Carolina State University Hall of Fame on February 16, 2012.  Check out the article on the Valpo baseball website... :thumbsup:

valpotx

Definitely an awesome achievement.  Didn't know he had such solid stats in college!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Tested early:  Valpo will play their second series of the 2012 season at Arkansas on February 24-26.  Arkansas is ranked preseason #4 in the country according to Baseball America.  The Razorbacks are the only team in the BA Top 25 on the Valpo schedule.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/top-25/rankings/2012/2612857.html

valpotx

I will be there with my friend who played there  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Most D1 programs started official "team" practices yesterday.  They are allowed to start these practices exactly three weeks before the season starts.  I know Valpo practiced, and I think it was even outside---but probably on the football field.  Pretty wet in Indiana.

jetz

The Valpo baseball family stands in support this week of their teammate and current Valpo senior Kevin Wild.  Kevin's 24 year old brother, Shaun, was killed last week in Chicago.  A suspect is in custody.  Although I have never met him, Shaun was known by many of the Valpo baseball players as he visited Kevin for some games in the past.  He was a football player at Northern Illinois, I believe.  He was also a second grade teacher and very well respected by all who knew him, as evidenced by a Facebook page set up to provide a scholarship in his name.  Search Facebook for "In Memory of Shaun Wild" to give to the cause.  Shaun will be laid to rest this Friday in Wisconsin.  Tragic news for Kevin and his family just before the start of his senior season.  I believe Kevin is in the mix for a weekend starting spot on the mound.  We parents trust that our boys will do what they can for their teammate during this tough time.

valpotx

Very sad news indeed.  My prayers go out to the Wild family in this troubling time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

To follow up the softball prediction, we were picked 3rd in baseball.  A generous prediction given that we lost most of our starting pitching, so hopefully the returners/newbies pick up the slack!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Wright State has lost their ace RHP to Tommy John.  That said, they were still a solid pick to win the League.  Chicago brings everybody back, but we were only one point behind them in the coaches vote for second--a long way behind WSU.  The Raiders got five of six first place votes, and UIC got the other one.  I hear that WSU is also trying to turn their All-American closer into a starter after the injury to their ace.

valpotx

It is a much easier adjustment to move a closer to starter in college, as most of these guys were starters just a few years ago in HS.  It is very rare to do what we are trying to do with Neftali Feliz (Texas Rangers), in moving him to a start this year from a few years of closing.  Also, having personal experience with Tommy John surgery, it can either make you better, or end your career  :).  I had mine going into FR year of 1999-2000, so I am sure it is much better nowadays, but I lost about 6-8 mph on my fastball, though always keeping my junk balls and location.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 08, 2012, 11:32:24 PMIt is very rare to do what we are trying to do with Neftali Feliz (Texas Rangers), in moving him to a start this year from a few years of closing.

Well, Feliz better get out of the bullpen after what David Freese and the Cardinals did to him in Game 6 of the World Series. Most relievers never get over or at least it takes a while to get over things such as that when the World Series is down to one strike and then all is lost.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on February 09, 2012, 02:42:56 AM
Quote from: valpotx on February 08, 2012, 11:32:24 PMIt is very rare to do what we are trying to do with Neftali Feliz (Texas Rangers), in moving him to a start this year from a few years of closing.

Well, Feliz better get out of the bullpen after what David Freese and the Cardinals did to him in Game 6 of the World Series. Most relievers never get over or at least it takes a while to get over things such as that when the World Series is down to one strike and then all is lost.

We like to call that "Getting Lidged" down here, but Lidge did bounce back with the Phillies in 08, if I recall correctly (in fact not one single blown save the entire season, right?)

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 09, 2012, 07:36:53 AMWe like to call that "Getting Lidged" down here, but Lidge did bounce back with the Phillies in 08, if I recall correctly (in fact not one single blown save the entire season, right?)

Lidge or Feliz?

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on February 09, 2012, 08:37:05 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 09, 2012, 07:36:53 AMWe like to call that "Getting Lidged" down here, but Lidge did bounce back with the Phillies in 08, if I recall correctly (in fact not one single blown save the entire season, right?)

Lidge or Feliz?
Lidge

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 09, 2012, 07:36:53 AM
Quote from: bbtds on February 09, 2012, 02:42:56 AMWell, Feliz better get out of the bullpen after what David Freese and the Cardinals did to him in Game 6 of the World Series. Most relievers never get over or at least it takes a while to get over things such as that when the World Series is down to one strike and then all is lost.

We like to call that "Getting Lidged" down here, but Lidge did bounce back with the Phillies in 08, if I recall correctly (in fact not one single blown save the entire season, right?)

a couple of my fondest baseball memories from the last decade: pujols bombing lidge in houston in the '05 nlcs, and the last 3 innings of game 6 of this year's world series.

and yes, lidge went 48/48 in the '08 season (including playoffs) for saves opportunities.

valporun

It might be difficult for some pitchers to go from being a closer to a starter, but I don't think the Rangers are looking for Feliz to be the ace of the staff. An example of going from closer to starter that has seemed to work in the right way is Ryan Dempster with the Cubs. He went from being the closer to the #3 starter in the rotation. I feel that as long as you aren't making your closer the ace of the starting rotation, the move can be handled easier, as long as you don't have a meathead like Carlos Zambrano in your #1 spot, when he's not really a #1 anyway.

valpotx

Feliz has incredible stuff, he will be fine.  He wasn't the only one who couldn't close out the WS: Oliver, Ogando, and Feliz all struggled the last 2 games.

In regards to Valpo, it sounds like we will have a good team again this year.  The starting pitching still concerns me, but we do have 2 guys coming back with D-1 starting experience (Deetjen and Upp).  We will have to see if Miller can stay injury-free, as in his last full season of 2009, he was close-the-door good for us.  He is at around 28 saves I believe for his career, with the next closest being around 17 I think.  Twenge never really utilized a single closer, usually going with whoever was hot at that particular time to shut the door.  I have always said that since Woodson started as coach, I really enjoy the way he utilizes our pitching staff.  That was one thing that could have led to more wins when I was in school, as we had some pretty good pitchers, just left them in a little too long sometimes.

I look forward to this season, and am very much hoping we make the NCAA tournament, while being placed in a regional at either TCU or UT!
"Don't mess with Texas"