• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Esports coming to Valpo!

Started by vu72, May 23, 2019, 08:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Wave of the future!  This is a great venture, IMO, and could potentially provide more students and new game day experiences and opportunities.

valpotx

Please don't call them student athletes.  That is just a joke.  I get the trend, but they are not athletes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on May 24, 2019, 02:06:42 AM
Please don't call them student athletes.  That is just a joke.  I get the trend, but they are not athletes.

I'm in agreement

"Definition of athlete. 1 : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina."

vu84v2

Quote from: M on May 23, 2019, 08:49:28 AM
Wave of the future!  This is a great venture, IMO, and could potentially provide more students and new game day experiences and opportunities.

From everything that I know about esports, this has nothing to do with gameday experience. It is about competitive teams from universities competing in video game competitions in a manner in which fans can watch the teams play and compete.

I cannot relate to this at all, but I do know that esports events have been filling major stadiums.

mila

This is not a sport. These are in no way athletes. This is not what Valpo should be aspiring to be a member of. I hope that the Athletic budget is not supplementing any of this nonsense.

talksalot

FYI, in a recent survey, about 50% of the current student population "regularly engages" in this "Nonsense".  This is absolutely a "Student Retention" effort.   

M

Everyone complains about Valpo not adapting, so they adapt...and everyone complains  :crazy:

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on May 24, 2019, 02:21:52 PM
Everyone complains about Valpo not adapting, so they adapt...and everyone complains  :crazy:

"Complains" they are not sports, yes.  I don't really care what VU invests in as long as the student body is paying their bills and engaged.

ValpoFan

When you have as many prospective students visiting campus and asking about esports as we do, it is "DUMB" not to add an esports program.

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 24, 2019, 07:18:44 AM
Quote from: valpotx on May 24, 2019, 02:06:42 AM

I'm in agreement

"Definition of athlete. 1 : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina."

Competitors, definitely. Athletes, no. Same as robotics or debate.

swiftmutiny

As someone who enjoys esports, and has been watching and participating in them for years, I'm glad that Valpo is starting up this program. Nearby universities such as Purdue, Butler, Indiana State, and Ball State have already adopted esports programs, as have many high schools. Will the average gray-haired Valpo basketball fan care about this? Not in the slightest. But incoming freshmen, who have never known life without video games and the Internet, just might. The demographic interested in esports also skews toward those planning to go into STEM careers, and anything we can do to keep those students on campus is a boon in my opinion.  :twocents: