• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Multiple athletes busted!

Started by vu72, February 18, 2020, 08:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NWIGuy

Did I read that right? Arrested and taken to jail for underage drinking? I would have assumed that citations would have been issued with an assigned court date. Show up to court, enter a plea, and deal with fine/community service, etc. Or fail to appear and have a warrant issued. Law was broken for sure, but hauling kids to jail seems like overkill. Is this standard in IN or just Porter County or ???

crusader05

Valpo City Police will always take to jail and make them go through the whole strip down mug shot process. All for most of them to be given a fine and have it wiped from their record in 6 months.

valpofb16

VUPD and Porter County PD are a joke. Booking someone for underage drinking is a ridiculous abuse of power and waste of resources

Knowing Fox's program the following players will face a 1-2 game suspension. Look for the team to play 55 freshman week one.

Call me a radical but I don't think 18 year olds drinking at a party is a booking offense, or news worthy, systematic problem with school and county. Big money maker for city.

Can't wait for the dying University to be shut down due to costs, student living , and student Life. If Valpo is D1 in 20 years I'll be shocked.

crusader05

VUPD had nothing to do with this. This was purely Valpo City, VUPD does not arrest and often will not even issue citations if it can be avoided.

The city seems perfectly fine with keeping the university at arm's length and it's to their detriment. I  would hope that the university would attempt discussions with the city police but I've also heard they are uninterested in talking about it.

valpofb16

Still an absolute abuse of power. Glad city made their bail money and got their lawyers paid last weekend

Valpo2013

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 18, 2020, 10:55:01 AM
VUPD and Porter County PD are a joke. Booking someone for underage drinking is a ridiculous abuse of power and waste of resources

Knowing Fox's program the following players will face a 1-2 game suspension. Look for the team to play 55 freshman week one.

Call me a radical but I don't think 18 year olds drinking at a party is a booking offense, or news worthy, systematic problem with school and county. Big money maker for city.

Can't wait for the dying University to be shut down due to costs, student living , and student Life. If Valpo is D1 in 20 years I'll be shocked.

It's a shame. Old white guys have been running the country and this University as well as others too long
We need new blood across the board

elephtheria47

Of course it's a booking offense. They're sworn to uphold the law and misdemeanors are being committed in front of their eyesight. I get the whole minor consuming/its 2020 argument, but theyre not acting as judge and jury, but as a law enforcement officer. If you dont like the law, write the lawmakers in Indianapolis. It's certainly not an abuse of power, but argue all you want if it was the most appropriate way. In today's society, liability is a huge issue. If police were called and then issued them a summons, and something happens to an individual that law enforcement could have prevented, wham! Who's to say they wouldn't have driven home if they weren't arrested or walked home in the dark and been involved in an accident? Sucks that it happened, but hopefully it will be used as a learning lesson.

JD24

s/b a citation and the police have that option. They choose not to use that option.

The headline in the nwitimes is just stupid as well. "Busted!" LOL!

Go out and find a real crime to write about.

usc4valpo

So pathetic. Seriously. Next will be the death penalty for TPing a sorority house.

Valpo89

Valparaiso police have busted underage drinking parties for years. The Valpo newspapers have reported on it, also for years. They don't discriminate between VHS students or VU students. A current prominent professional athlete, who has made more money than any VHS athlete in history, was once involved in such an incident. I believe his name may have been in the paper at the time, and I'm going back to about 2002 or 2003. So this isn't a new thing. If you are underage and drinking, the Valpo cops will find you and you will suffer the consequences. That's just how it is.

mj

Maybe the next President of VU will realize this hurts the reputation of the school and will lean on the city a bit to stop this. It's an insane waste of resources and plus it gives these kids a record that they'll have to disclose for any background check in the future.
I believe that we will win.

M

Personally I'm for hauling anyone who had a car there off to jail for the dog and pony show. The rest of them just give them a ticket and sit there while they get an uber home.

usc4valpo

Waste of tax money. Priorities are off here. Omg, underage drinking! Where is this world going?

VUGrad1314

So some kids make a dumb mistake and the cops get power happy and some of you want the university shut down? Jesus, calm down people. Since it was mostly football programs maybe we should just ax the football program? Of course we can't won't and shouldn't do that because it brings students and tuition dollars in and is an important source of alumni donations for athletics and otherwise and alumni engagement, but I can say reactionary and stupid things too. Everybody from the cops to the kids to posters on here needs to chill out and make better decisions.

valpotx

My FR year (1999-2000), the same thing happened.  I was at the party with athletes included from several sports, and believe the fraternity was Phi Sig?  One of my buddies was completely wasted (football player), and ended up using the house phone to prank call 911, and hung up after they answered, not thinking that they could easily trace it to the residence.  Police officers then showed up within minutes, and many of us stayed as silent as possible in a hidden room in the house, which they were easily able to find.  Every single individual under the age of 21 was arrested and brought to jail that night and put in orange jumpsuits...except for me lol.  The officer administering the breathalyzer did my test twice, as it came up 0.00 (or however it is configured), as he didn't believe the reading, with everyone else in the house very drunk.  Everyone around me started clapping, as at least one of us wasn't going to jail, and then let me walk out the front door back to my dorm room.  A few of the guys tied to the house that were over 21 asked me how I got away as I exited the building, and I simply said, 'I didn't drink today' lol.  Two of my friends (including my roommate/best friend/teammate & the football player/prank caller) did end up running as the officers showed up, and temporarily got away, but they were able to easily find them based on tips from others that were being taken to jail. My roommate was actually hiding in his closet for the next hour, until he finally came out when the officers kept coming back to our dorm room.  The funny thing about how he was identified, is that we had a few whiteboards on our dorm room door, and my roommate had earlier done caricatures of each of our friends, the 'Brandt Hall Gangstaz,' and he was a pretty good artist :).

Paul/Pgmado, was this before or after you showed up as an RA on the other side of our floor? :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

The next thing that will happen is some student will over indulge in sugar and chocolate, walk around campus as the Great Cornholio and get busted by the police. Valpo cops need to get their priorities straight.

NWIGuy

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 19, 2020, 12:15:25 AMSince it was mostly football programs maybe we should just ax the football program?
Unless I'm missing something, looks like maybe 11-12 football players of the 29 kids who were busted, so less than half. Ok to be "reactionary and stupid" if you want, but try to also be accurate.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2020, 03:01:48 AM
My FR year (1999-2000), the same thing happened.  I was at the party with athletes included from several sports, and believe the fraternity was Phi Sig?  One of my buddies was completely wasted (football player), and ended up using the house phone to prank call 911, and hung up after they answered, not thinking that they could easily trace it to the residence.  Police officers then showed up within minutes, and many of us stayed as silent as possible in a hidden room in the house, which they were easily able to find.  Every single individual under the age of 21 was arrested and brought to jail that night and put in orange jumpsuits...except for me lol.  The officer administering the breathalyzer did my test twice, as it came up 0.00 (or however it is configured), as he didn't believe the reading, with everyone else in the house very drunk.  Everyone around me started clapping, as at least one of us wasn't going to jail, and then let me walk out the front door back to my dorm room.  A few of the guys tied to the house that were over 21 asked me how I got away as I exited the building, and I simply said, 'I didn't drink today' lol.  Two of my friends (including my roommate/best friend/teammate & the football player/prank caller) did end up running as the officers showed up, and temporarily got away, but they were able to easily find them based on tips from others that were being taken to jail. My roommate was actually hiding in his closet for the next hour, until he finally came out when the officers kept coming back to our dorm room.  The funny thing about how he was identified, is that we had a few whiteboards on our dorm room door, and my roommate had earlier done caricatures of each of our friends, the 'Brandt Hall Gangstaz,' and he was a pretty good artist :).

Paul/Pgmado, was this before or after you showed up as an RA on the other side of our floor? :)

This was the first weekend that I was a student on campus. It effectively crippled the Phi Sig fraternity for several years. I remember it being the front page story of The Torch. I just remember thinking "Wow, Concordia never had anything fun like this happen." I became a RA the next semester in Brandt Hall. The semester of the Brandt Hall fire that I put out.

crusader05

My time involved the Phi Delta Theta house getting raided and many, many, many arrests for underage drinking, including students who were caught in the dorms so I feel like one party bust every few years or so doesn't seem that bad.

Although, I don't know how much smaller parties are busted and students are hauled to jail so maybe it hasn't changed that much?

I do know that on-campus policies including towards fraternities have gotten way less draconian and that VUPD is not the fun police anymore so that is positive. Not sure how much you can control the city police if they don't want to play ball.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NWIGuy on February 19, 2020, 10:24:07 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 19, 2020, 12:15:25 AMSince it was mostly football programs maybe we should just ax the football program?
Unless I'm missing something, looks like maybe 11-12 football players of the 29 kids who were busted, so less than half. Ok to be "reactionary and stupid" if you want, but try to also be accurate.

Way to totally miss the point of my post which was totally sarcastic and meant to call out the person who wanted the university to shut down because the cops abused their power in his mind. That's where the whole "Reactionary and stupid" part of the post came from.

JD24

Wasn't there a "bust" of something like 45 athletes 5 or 6 years ago?

crusader05

Yeah there was a big one that I think was on here (it might have been the one a couple basketball players were at). It seems like every few years this happens.

Valpo89

Quote from: JD24 on February 19, 2020, 03:42:42 PM
Wasn't there a "bust" of something like 45 athletes 5 or 6 years ago?
Didn't Sorolla jump off a deck or something at the new apartment complex?

NotBryceDrew

That was the woman's soccer team when a few members jumped from the 4th floor of the up town apartments to get away. And did get away with minimal injury.