• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola names new coach!

Started by vu72, April 06, 2021, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Loyola just named Drew Valentine as their new coach.  Valentine is 29 years old and was an assistant for four years under Moser.  He had been an assistant at Oakland for two years before joining Loyola.  Good choice or Lottich like?  They had an assistant with 20 years of coaching experience (Jermaine Kimbrough) and an assistant with 10 years on the Loyola staff (Matt Gordon) and yet they picked a 29 year old?  I would think with Loyola's money they could have gotten a pretty big name.

http://mvc-sports.com/news/2021/4/5/loyola-names-drew-valentine-head-mens-basketball-coach.aspx
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Their choice was a surprise to much of the Chicago media.  They were hoping for a bigger name to fill the bill.

VUGrad1314

He was as I understand and I could be wrong on this the lead assistant on Moser's staff which makes it less akin to Lottich's being hired from the end of the bench. I can see some of the parallels but I'm not sure if they're completely fair in this case.

valpo64

He now is the youngest coach in Div. 1, only 29years old with no experience in being a head coach at any level.  Quite surprising for a top mid-major program.  Could it be that they were trying to save some money?  Unless some or all of the current seniors return, Loyola will again be a run-of-the mill MVC program next year.  I believe 4 of their 5 starters were seniors, plus 1 or 2 top subs.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo64 on April 07, 2021, 07:48:23 PMHe now is the youngest coach in Div. 1, only 29years old with no experience in being a head coach at any level.  Quite surprising for a top mid-major program.  Could it be that they were trying to save some money?  Unless some or all of the current seniors return, Loyola will again be a run-of-the mill MVC program next year.  I believe 4 of their 5 starters were seniors, plus 1 or 2 top subs.

This is the main potential parallel to Lottich that I see. This could have been a hire to keep that core together for one more year and allow Valentine to get his feet wet before he is truly tested. It could be a year at least before Loyola starts to know what they have at all.  An attempt to save money is also possible as I doubt he'll make anything close to what Moser was making which would be unfortunate. Now is certainly not the time for Loyola to penny pinch if their goal is truly to become a Gonzaga of the Midwest type of program.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 08, 2021, 04:36:10 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on April 07, 2021, 07:48:23 PMHe now is the youngest coach in Div. 1, only 29years old with no experience in being a head coach at any level.  Quite surprising for a top mid-major program.  Could it be that they were trying to save some money?  Unless some or all of the current seniors return, Loyola will again be a run-of-the mill MVC program next year.  I believe 4 of their 5 starters were seniors, plus 1 or 2 top subs.

This is the main potential parallel to Lottich that I see. This could have been a hire to keep that core together for one more year and allow Valentine to get his feet wet before he is truly tested. It could be a year at least before Loyola starts to know what they have at all.  An attempt to save money is also possible as I doubt he'll make anything close to what Moser was making which would be unfortunate. Now is certainly not the time for Loyola to penny pinch if their goal is truly to become a Gonzaga of the Midwest type of program.

Maybe the Administration just doesn't care about athletics.   ::)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on April 08, 2021, 04:42:35 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 08, 2021, 04:36:10 PM
Maybe the Administration just doesn't care about athletics.   ::)

I'd say they've shown far more commitment than we have given the investments they have already made but what do I know? I'm just some idiot on a fan site following what my eyes tell me.

valpopal

Looks like Drew Valentine's first signed recruit is 3-star forward Saint Thomas out of Omaha (was a VU target). What a perfect name for Sister Jean to root on! 

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on April 13, 2021, 05:45:59 PM
Looks like Drew Valentine's first signed recruit is 3-star forward Saint Thomas out of Omaha (was a VU target). What a perfect name for Sister Jean to root on!

https://nebpreps.com/ramblers-the-choice-for-thomas/

VUGrad1314

An early indication that Loyola's short term recruiting will be fine. But they need to win in order to keep it up. Let's see if he can do it.