• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brown and Gold Golf Outing

Started by vu84v2, August 26, 2021, 02:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

On Monday, I played in the Brown and Gold Golf outing. This is the second time the event has been held, since it was not possible with COVID last year.

This was a really great event. Not fancy (other than the course) – but well run, friendly and personal. Everything good about Valpo.

While golf is clearly not a marquee sport, it still brings in some great male and female student athletes. They seem like a really impressive group. Further, the men's coach (David Gring) has done a tremendous job of upgrading facilities (especially the move to Sand Creek), developing interest from prior team members, and recruiting high caliber talent (I do not mean to slight the women's coach - I just know far less about that program).

I played with one of the men's team members, who had just transferred to Valpo after playing at Ball State for three years. Besides him being very personable, I have never played with someone who hits the ball so far. 310-320 with ease and at least two drives of 360.

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 26, 2021, 02:59:12 PM
On Monday, I played in the Brown and Gold Golf outing. This is the second time the event has been held, since it was not possible with COVID last year.

This was a really great event. Not fancy (other than the course) – but well run, friendly and personal. Everything good about Valpo.

While golf is clearly not a marquee sport, it still brings in some great male and female student athletes. They seem like a really impressive group. Further, the men's coach (David Gring) has done a tremendous job of upgrading facilities (especially the move to Sand Creek), developing interest from prior team members, and recruiting high caliber talent (I do not mean to slight the women's coach - I just know far less about that program).

I played with one of the men's team members, who had just transferred to Valpo after playing at Ball State for three years. Besides him being very personable, I have never played with someone who hits the ball so far. 310-320 with ease and at least two drives of 360.

Those male players are also very good students.  Was there a good turnout?

Here's a video about one of the team members:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARfqx-CKKE
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

I think that they were looking for four people to play with either one men's team member or two women's team members, which they achieved. Thus, good turnout.

Each team member introduced themself and the array of majors was very impressive.