• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Woman's Basketball 2023-2024

Started by vu72, November 18, 2023, 06:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

It's even worse for the women when they have ZERO radio coverage from WVUR...it's all ESPN+/3, or opponent's radio coverage. I mean even if the only one on the radio was Aaron Leavitt for the road games, at least it's something...this is bad.

vu72

The level of interest in the Women's team has dropped off the cliff.  Attendance so far this season is averaging a little over 300 while Volleyball drew an average of a little over 500.  That's all about winning, or at least putting a competitive product on the floor.

Right now our "five out" strategy is getting out-rebounded by 10 a game and our 3 point shooting stands at 29%.  It's not going to work.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

I am guessing whoever was responsible for the women's team coverage was coaching the bowling team. We signed 2 HS Seniors that were never announced.

Pgmado

Quote from: vu72 on January 02, 2024, 11:10:32 AM
The level of interest in the Women's team has dropped off the cliff.  Attendance so far this season is averaging a little over 300 while Volleyball drew an average of a little over 500.  That's all about winning, or at least putting a competitive product on the floor.

Right now our "five out" strategy is getting out-rebounded by 10 a game and our 3 point shooting stands at 29%.  It's not going to work.

Hard to gauge attendance thus far. The team has played two regular-season home games. One of them came during Thanksgiving break and the other came on Reading Day. The team will have played 10 of their first 12 games away from home. Then four straight home games.

valpotx

The Jackson twins are legit dawgs.  I hope they stick around in a potential coaching change, as they have a bright future.  Both of them remind me of Jenna Stangler from my time on campus, as being very lanky/still getting used to their longer limbs, but very skilled at their current age.  If they stick around for 4 years, Valpo will do well in years 3 and 4.  Raeven Raye-Redmond has some potential, as well, since she has a nose for finding the ball on defense.  I don't quite understand her lack of play for the bulk of the season (maybe lacking a consistent shot at this time), as she is definitely a spark plug when inserted into the lineup.  When Jill Harris was healthy, we were fairly competitive, so I look forward to her return, if she will do so this year?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpofamfan

valpopal

Quote from: Valpofamfan on January 04, 2024, 06:48:04 PM
We have no offense tonight
Oddly, I find their play offensive every night.  ;)

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on January 02, 2024, 09:41:42 PM
The Jackson twins are legit dawgs.  I hope they stick around in a potential coaching change, as they have a bright future.  Both of them remind me of Jenna Stangler from my time on campus, as being very lanky/still getting used to their longer limbs, but very skilled at their current age.  If they stick around for 4 years, Valpo will do well in years 3 and 4.  Raeven Raye-Redmond has some potential, as well, since she has a nose for finding the ball on defense.  I don't quite understand her lack of play for the bulk of the season (maybe lacking a consistent shot at this time), as she is definitely a spark plug when inserted into the lineup.  When Jill Harris was healthy, we were fairly competitive, so I look forward to her return, if she will do so this year?

And remember that Layla Gold was an Indiana All-Star yet Evans is getting very little from her.  The big blow is if Liv Brown is done for a long time. The ankle injury looked pretty bad. Without her, well you know.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on January 05, 2024, 08:40:23 AM
Quote from: valpotx on January 02, 2024, 09:41:42 PM

And remember that Layla Gold was an Indiana All-Star yet Evans is getting very little from her.  The big blow is if Liv Brown is done for a long time. The ankle injury looked pretty bad. Without her, well you know.

When did she get hurt, I was long gone early last night

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 05, 2024, 09:54:44 AMWhen did she get hurt, I was long gone early last night

Looks like with 4:15 to go in the fourth.

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on January 02, 2024, 04:49:17 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 02, 2024, 11:10:32 AM

Hard to gauge attendance thus far. The team has played two regular-season home games. One of them came during Thanksgiving break and the other came on Reading Day. The team will have played 10 of their first 12 games away from home. Then four straight home games.

Fair enough, though last year we averaged 353 over 15 home games.

IndyValpo

The team made a valiant effort after adding Brown to the injured list. Still lost but it looked like a blow out was coming.

Van Weedlin who had made 7 3's in a year and a half at under a 20% success rate made 4 of 6.

usc4valpo

Embarrassing to lose by 30 at home. Obviously some eggs need to be broken now, and I just don't understand why Small and others allow this performance to sustain.

valpo64

At our mid-major level, I do not think making a coaching change in mid-season is a good move.  Change is needed but not now.

usc4valpo

Disagree, it is just sustaining with embarrassing, terrible results, and you have to wonder what recruits are thinking. No reason to keep this situation - hire the assistant as an interim and move on if you know a change is needed.

This is typical Valparaiso leadership being overly passive.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 13, 2024, 08:26:18 AM
Disagree, it is just sustaining with embarrassing, terrible results, and you have to wonder what recruits are thinking. No reason to keep this situation - hire the assistant as an interim and move on if you know a change is needed.

This is typical Valparaiso leadership being overly passive.
I have come around to your way of thinking. 2 more blow outs. Watch the press conferences Evans is clueless. Drake runs something unique on offense that our freshmen haven't seen. Evans has for 5 years. Perhaps prepare!  UNI hit us with a zone. It was like we had never seen one or thought to prepare for one. Sad.

usc4valpo

As promising it is to see the men's hoops team grow, the opposite is seen the women's hoop team. Lost by 24 to 3-9 team at home. Dr. Small must address this now, as it is depressing and embarrassing.

IndyValpo

A better performance against Illinois State. In the next 7 games we play 2 games against Bradley who we have beaten 4 times in a row. 2 against Evansville who appear to be worse than us. 2 against Indiana State who aren't very good and UIC who is just average. Some wins perhaps.

SPEEDYPITCHER37

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 20, 2024, 02:35:25 PM
A better performance against Illinois State. In the next 7 games we play 2 games against Bradley who we have beaten 4 times in a row. 2 against Evansville who appear to be worse than us. 2 against Indiana State who aren't every good and UIC who is just average. Some wins perhaps.

The ISU game was overall a good game (especially Nevaeh Jackson who's really starting to break out) but it once again showed that we don't have enough size and experience. Experience is obvious with Harris and Brown out and three freshman starters but we were just dominated by DeAnna Wilson in the paint. Outrebounded 37-27. We have six players 6' or taller yet we still lack someone strong down low other than Earnest.

But you're right about the next month or so, the schedule is very kind to us. Bradley has a similar problem with size so this is a huge chance for a win.

valpotx

Solid win against Bradley today, and we have favorable games over the next 5, so it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

We have beaten Bradley 5 times in a row. Their coach was suspended earlier in the year for some transgression. The good news is we get them again soon.

IndyValpo

Well that was as bad a half as possible.

valpotx

Yeah, I had hope over the next 5 games, but the first one was not good.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo2015

Out of all the sports that we have in the MVC -Women's Basketball is one of the 2 that actually are playing easier teams than the Horizon (if you believe the Massey ratings etc)
With that said this program is in complete free fall

SPEEDYPITCHER37

Jill Harris is finally back, so we are back at a full strength squad (except it seems like Harris and Brown may still be on limited minutes, or at least they are not starting). Time to see what this team has that they haven't been able to put on the floor much this year.