• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball @ Carolinas/Spring Trip

Started by jetz, March 03, 2012, 04:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

A little on Winthrop.  We once again won seven innings, but the two we lost cost us the game.  Will Robinson was the starter and did not have his best, giving up six runs in 1.2 innings.  We once again found ourselves in a hole, and once again clawed back to make it a game.  The Eagles were on the ropes in the eighth, when we loaded the bases with NO OUT trailing 8-6.  We had our 9, 1, 2 batters coming to the plate and it seemed a certainty we would at least tie.  The Eagles' pitcher was shaky, yet somehow got three straight strikeouts as we fell behind 0-2 with the first two batters without the bat ever being swung.   >:(  Inning and game over.  BTW, the Winthrop field continued a string of beautiful parks with lots of chairback seating that we have seen on this trip.  It featured the biggest batter's eye I have ever seen due to sunset being a factor.  Very nice.

Wormington will get a tuneup (for his start against Butler) today against Belmont.  We are now in Nashville and playing game #16 in a row on the road.  Worm will go a couple of innings, then the rest of the staff will go the remainder.  It looks as though our starters have shifted a bit in rotation for Butler--now going Deetjen, Wild, and Wormington.  Same guys, different order.  Belmont's good--we'll have to play tough.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

valporun

Sounds like Woodson wants Wormington to be the Series clinching pitcher, using Wild in Game 2 as either the sacrificial lamb, or to help him build/gain some confidence in his stuff. I haven't paid as close attention, but you would think after so many games this trip that our hitting might have turned around by now? Do some of the players need a trip or two to a KFC, Chick-Fil-A, or some other chicken joint to get a bucket of chicken before the game? I don't want to see this team constantly relying on the 9-1-2 hitters to do all the work, especially in games where they could get some real work because they don't determine the conference standings.

valpotx

Our hitting will come around.  Keep in mind that teams in the South generally throw harder and have more above average pitches, whether it is because we get to practice/play year 'round, or top people in the North go to college in the South to have better weather and play on contenders.  Once we get into conference, our hitting will take off, as it always does!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

The trip is over and the team is now in Indy.  Despite finishing the trip with a horrific 1-11 record, I really like the attitude and chemistry.  They should have won a few of those games, and COULD have finished above .500 for the trip with a little luck.  But that's all wishful thinking.  The great news is they are playing pretty well against all the teams and the dugout is positive and together.  No divisiveness and very little negativity.  Yes we'd all like them to have a couple of wins going into Butler, but they are ready.  I agree with valporun that the hitting must improve.  We've got to give these pitchers some run support.  Two out hits need to come from veterans who have been there before.  For whatever reason, there seems to be a tenseness in the team's attitude when we get runners in scoring position.  We just have to go swing it.

On to the conference.  By the way, my odometer said 2460 miles driven on the trip.  It's good to be back in Indiana.  ;) 

valpotx

Jetz, very impressed with your dedication to watching your son and Valpo play!  Also, a 4-12 record is much better than our 0-17 start last year, but I would have hoped for better after starting out 3-3 against quality opponents!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: valpotx on March 16, 2012, 12:26:05 AM
Jetz, very impressed with your dedication to watching your son and Valpo play!  Also, a 4-12 record is much better than our 0-17 start last year, but I would have hoped for better after starting out 3-3 against quality opponents!!

Thanks, it's really a dream for a dad to get to go on a trip like this to see his son play, though I was ready to get home to my own bed by the end of it.  I hope you get the chance to make a similar trip of your own someday.  4-12 was the absolute worst result we could have after the way we started.  Gotta put it together from here on out...

valpotx

Yes, if I have a son in the future, I would most definitely like such a trip as well.  My dad came to watch me at Valpo for a week of games, and I know that he enjoyed it as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"