• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Track and Field fund raising effort

Started by vu72, April 27, 2012, 11:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Not sure if this is something new or other sports have tried it, but, I just received a letter from a student at Valpo who I had some influence on in deciding to go to Valpo.  She is a track and field athlete as well as a cross country runner.  The letter was a form letter with an additional comment from Ryan Moore.  Signed personally by the student.  Very impressive and I really like the effort.  I'll definitely send in some dough.

Have any else of you received something like this perhaps for a different sport?  We all need to dig a little deeper to help out with facilities for these athletes.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on April 27, 2012, 11:49:34 AM
Not sure if this is something new or other sports have tried it, but, I just received a letter from a student at Valpo who I had some influence on in deciding to go to Valpo.  She is a track and field athlete as well as a cross country runner.  The letter was a form letter with an additional comment from Ryan Moore.  Signed personally by the student.  Very impressive and I really like the effort.  I'll definitely send in some dough.

Have any else of you received something like this perhaps for a different sport?  We all need to dig a little deeper to help out with facilities for these athletes.

The University needs to dig a little deeper to help out with facilities for its flagship sport.  When this happens, then I might be inclined to send in something.  Until that time, what money I donate towards university athletics will end up in Coral Gables.

vu72

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 27, 2012, 01:05:19 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 27, 2012, 11:49:34 AM

The University needs to dig a little deeper to help out with facilities for its flagship sport.  When this happens, then I might be inclined to send in something.  Until that time, what money I donate towards university athletics will end up in Coral Gables.

Nicely played.  Punish the athletes because you are mad at the University or the economy or the President or whatever.  Enjoy the sunshine.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

I'm not mad at anyone or anything.  I'm simply matching the contribution amount the University made towards ARC venue improvements during the last three capital campaigns.

Let the University lead by example, and I am sure its athletic donors will follow.

VULB#62

I kinda agree with you Joe (but there are no checks going to Coral Gables from me). 

I'd like to see the the university lead by investing and then saying to us alumni -- back us up.  The current philosophy -- conservative (and that's not wrong) is slow and may not produce results -- has't generated funds for athletic facilities on a par with what else has been built recently. I am not disparaging the Drew BB court or the scoreboard in the ARC, but these are things at other colleges that would be part of normal upgrades to maintain a solid status quo. But where the heck is the track around Brown Field that was part of the FITT campaign that was initiated years ago?

If VU wrote me and said:   We built a track and needed to update the ARC and we're in debt to the tune of X dollars, would you contribute? I'd write a good sized check (for me at least) immediately.  But as it stands, I see no focus and so I am not writing as much in the way of donations.