• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

75 Years of March Madness

Started by KL31NY, February 09, 2013, 11:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on February 25, 2013, 01:03:40 PM
I... honestly have no memory of watching the game.  It was a Friday afternoon?  Maybe I had class?  Were classes back in session yet? 

So, for that tourney run, I was a bit of a bandwagoner.  I played with the pep band quite a bit - so I suspect I was at a good number of games that season.  The year before for sure.  But, I've paid a lot more attention to the basketball as an alum than I did as a student.

I did make the drive down to St. Louis for the Sweet Sixteen - and remember well the rally (rallies?) outside the ARC, etc.
I had become tired of getting 30 seconds of Valpo every year here in St. Louis, plus that year, I think SLU was playing around the same time and CBS in St. Louis had a policy where they refused to switch from the local team no matter what the score was.

I was at work, not expecting much, and had no way of even listening online.  All I remember is casually calling up the espn.com page at one point and there it was plastered across the front page.  When I got home, I did get to see the final 20 seconds or so (I did use my VCR to tape CBS just in case).

Sunday it was the same story.  SLU was getting killed by Kentucky, but no, we're not going to switch to another game, no how, no way.  Got to see the final seconds of regulation and the 5 minute OT at least.

The following week was, of course, a different story.  I called the VU alumni office but of course all the tickets were taken.  For reasons passing understanding, I never thought to call up ticketmaster or something just to get a ticket into the building.  I did go over to a friend's house (he graduated from VU in 1981 or thereabouts) and we watched the URI game together.

Later, I did find the Ole Miss and FSU radio play-by-play calls and listened to them.  Much later, RLH sent me complete VHS copies of the 2 games so now I can watch the entire thing.  But obviously, I was very slow to join the party.

humbleopinion

Students at my school we to be attending to their studies in class.  Of course, I didn't enforce any directive for the teachers as I was sitting in my office with the doors closed so I wouldn't be noticed watching the game.  When the shot went in, a shout went up from all corners of the school.  I appreciated the celebration.
Beamin' Beacons

zvillehaze

I remember that tourney for a few reasons.  First, the MCC (now Horizon) had three teams in the tourney ... I don't think that's happened since.

I remember where I was when I saw "The Shot".  I was in Lexington to watch the Butler - New Mexico game and afterward was going to do a brief appearance with the Indy CBS affiliate outside of Rupp.  Coverage of the Butler loss took a back seat to Drew's shot and Valpo win and I got to see to see my first glimpse of "The Shot" while we were waiting our turn to go on air.  I don't think it's been mentioned that Butler lost that day, but that should make it even better for a few of you guys!  ;D

Lastly, I participated in a "player draft" with 8 friends where everyone selects 12 players and payouts are based upon the total points scored by your players during the NCAA tournament.  My 3rd round pick (22nd overall) was none other than Ansu Sesay of Mississippi.  His 11 points were the least of anyone taken in that round and I lost almost $100 for the tourney.  The next two players taken were Utah's Michael Doleac (115 points) and Kentucky's Jeff Shepard (99 points).  Ouch.  I know ... I should have picked Bryce!  ;)

wh

My wife and I were in Washington, D.C. visiting my son and daughter-in-law.  We watched the first 2 games together (Fri and Sun, as I recall) at their apartment.  On Monday following the games my son was in his final interview at CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA.  After he finished, a senior agent took him into a room with several agents sitting at desks.  The guy said loudly, "I have an announcement.  This is ____ and you'll never guess where he's from---Valpo!"  Much to my son's surprise, the entire room burst out in applause. 

FWalum

So many great stories.  I have nothing that comes close.  Was at the Damon's sports bar on North Clinton here in Fort Wayne (its biggest claim to fame was that it was later significantly damaged by a tornado and Damon's decided to tear it down and not rebuild) taking a late lunch because the local affiliate was showing some other game.  The restaurant was about a mile from the seminary so there were a few pastors and other VU alums there for the game.  I have to admit that I was ready to accept another "close but no cigar type game when the unbelievable happened.  It was a very happy day.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: chef on February 25, 2013, 05:22:03 PM
Nick's or Kilroy's?
Yogi's.  For the '87 NCAA championship game, Nick's had a line that started before 8 AM that morning!  Kirkwood was closed most of the evening, then a mass movement to the fountain (which the admin had already drained).  The snow was a nice touch.

valporun

I was in high school when "The Shot" happened, so I missed the game, plus had track practice after school anyway, so couldn't exactly be near a tv to watch games. Not all of my high school teachers could stop what they were teaching to care about the NCAA tournament.

KL31NY

From the Valpo Athletics facebook page

QuoteWe got word today that "The Shot" is currently 4th in voting. Make sure to vote daily for "The Shot" as the best NCAA Tournament moment. http://www.ncaa.com/75-moments

Obviously the formatting is mine. But the message is simple... KEEP VOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176