• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB - Valpo at Green Bay 3/13/13

Started by jack, March 13, 2013, 09:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Great effort ladies to end the season. We made it a game for a while. Tough to beat a squad when 1 player hit 7 3s all by herself. We did a stellar job from the stripe, but had a few too many bunnies not fall.

We have much to work on in the off season. Our guard play needs to step it up a bit, especially when we are guard heavy, Hopefully we will get the help in here that Tabby needs.

Frustrating to watch at times this season, it was still a lot of fun. I felt we did a much better job the last 3 games with the players we started. I'm guessing Scott couldn't go. Rumor has it, she's seen her last game as a crusader. I hope the rumor mill is wrong.

ValpoHoops

I wasn't able to watch, but I know the coaches had some new things they wanted to try tonight (nothing to lose, really) but given the score, I'm not sure how well they worked.

Going forward, we need someone to develop into a playmaker...every team has one it seems except us...someone who can get the ball and just go get a basket. That's summer work, individual work and desire. Its there...this will be the first full off-season with our new staff and they have proven in the past that they can develop players.

Over the last month, the system (the one that jack wanted to scrap  ;)) has been working very well...the players have been more aggressive and have started to better understand what the coaches want. Couple that understanding into the summer program and they will be working on the things they need for this offense, and the results will come.

As far as your last statement, jack...I fear you very well could be correct...I have no way of knowing for sure...but just seeing how things have gone the last couple of weeks makes me wonder...

valpo4life

I wouldn't look too much into the final score of the game. We had it down to 11 with around 13 mins to go (which is good in my opinion) and GB went on a big run to blow it open. They hit a lot of 3's but that was to be expected with running a new defense at times. The 1-3-1 actually looked to have some promise for a while until GB would get a good skip pass to the corner for a 3. But I think this is something we should look into running over the 1-2-2 zone. It's a pretty rare defense, especially in the women's game, so it could really throw some teams off their game. Back to the game, going in you knew that GB would have to have an off shooting night to have a chance and of course they didn't and Ritchie hit 7 3's. And to go along with it we did not shoot the ball well in order to hang in there. If we could have hit some shots in the 1st half to keep it close you never know what could have happened. But like the case was most of the year, we didn't hit the shots needed to win or stay in the game.

KL31NY

Anyone else think we're daring teams to beat us with three-pointers? After reviewing the YSU game (stats and quotes) and watching a lot of the Green Bay game, that was the impression I had. I'm sure it works for some of our match-ups, but since YSU shoots a lot of 3's already and Green Bay is quick enough to create all the open looks they want, they seem like they'd be willing to "settle" for 3's. Just something I've mulled over and wanted to toss out there.

Also, since this hasn't been brought up here yet, all the best to Gina, Laura, and Ieva. Gina and Laura put a lot of work into their careers over the past four years and were great people to follow. I wish we could have seen Ieva at full strength, but I appreciate the effort she put in over her Crusader seasons. Hope for a bright future past graduation for all three!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

With Green Bay, our only chance was to give them the 3's and hope they were off, to have a chance. We weren't quick enough to step out, and risk giving up the inside stuff, which we couldn't stop. Need some help with a big or 2 next season. All in all, the game went better than anticipated I think. We just needed more scores, especially in the first half. I think at one point we had 20+ points, all from 2 players.
I too would like to wish Gina, Ieva, and Laura the best, and thank them all for their commitment and effort to Valpo BB.