• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Only if the deals can be struck before then  ::)

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 16, 2016, 12:24:35 PM
Only if the deals can be struck before then  ::)

So true. Last year it wasn't about not wanting to get the schedule out early enough. It was that we couldn't get anyone to agree to come to the ARC. So we ended up settling for some non-D1 games instead of getting better games for the fans. It was not a choice but a consequence of having such a good team.

wh

New VU coach Matt Lottich inks first recruit in Spanish big man
Paul Oren Times Correspondent Updated 19 hrs ago

Jaume Sorolla ends up for the Valparaiso men's basketball team, he'll always be known as the first recruit of the Matt Lottich Era.

Valparaiso's freshly installed coach tapped into a familiar concept in signing his first player as Lottich announced the addition of the Spaniard as his first recruit on Friday morning.

Sorolla, a 6-foot-11, 240-pound center, grew up in Spain before playing a year of prep basketball at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kansas. Much like many former Valparaiso players, Sorolla has represented his country in FIBA competitions, including the U-16 and U-18 European Championships.

"(Jaume) has a unique skill set that is multi-faceted, very similar to (redshirt freshman) Derrik Smits," Lottich said. "The reality is that the two can eventually play together. They have versatility and they both have skill sets to complement each other. We have the potential to be the biggest, strongest front line in the Horizon League.

Sorolla has been on Valparaiso's radar for some time, and when Lottich took over the program last week in the wake of Bryce Drew's departure to Vanderbilt, the first-year coach stepped up his recruiting efforts.

"I inherited a team with three open scholarships, so there was a sense of urgency to go after some guys that we'd been recruiting," Lottich said.

Chicago native Micah Bradford (Bradley-Bourbonnais) is expected to honor his commitment to Valparaiso, and he'll join Sorolla as members of the Class of 2020. That leaves Lottich with two available scholarships, although one could still go to Keith Carter if the senior point guard can get another year of eligibility. Carter played 39 minutes during his freshman season at St. Louis, and Valparaiso is waiting to hear word from the NCAA on whether or not Carter will be able to play next season.

The Crusaders could also gain an additional scholarship if Alec Peters decides to stay in the NBA Draft. Peters has until May 25 to make his decision and Valparaiso will give him as much as time as he needs to decide on his future.

As for what Lottich is looking for with his remaining scholarships, the first-year coach said he is looking for quality over anything else.

"Ultimately we want talent," Lottich said. "If we can get a team full of talent, we're going to do that. We'll look for talent (right now) over any position or anything like that."

Lottich added on Friday that he expects all of the current players that have eligibility to return to the team next season. This includes potential graduate transfer Jubril Adekoya, and Lottich quickly downplayed internet rumors of his departure last week.

"I haven't heard of anyone wanting to leave," Lottich said. "I've heard a lot of excitement. I've told them I want to start over. I told them you all have to earn your minutes. Now I do have opinions, but I'm excited for a fresh start. They're excited to cement themselves as a great team. If we're good next year, it will all be because of the players. If we're not, it will be because of me."

M

Hey hey! ValpoDad getting some print space, lol jk jk

valpotx

It at least explains why he would consider leaving, since he confirms that Jubril has the potential to be a grad transfer.  It didn't make any sense for him, unless he could play right away. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

My gut is telling me Lottich went to go check out this player Ade Murkey in Minnesota.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ade-murkey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVFFJQfn1m8

EDIT: Looks like it was Ade Murkey.
https://twitter.com/NorthstarAlex/status/721141514177421312

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2016, 02:54:40 PM
My gut is telling me Lottich went to go check out this player Ade Murkey in Minnesota.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ade-murkey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVFFJQfn1m8

EDIT: Looks like it was Ade Murkey.
https://twitter.com/NorthstarAlex/status/721141514177421312

Holy Crap!  I just emailed a very close friend who is VERY into the AAU business in Minnesota, and found out he is Ade's coach.  He hasn't spoken with Matt and tells me further that he has a bunch of 2017-2018 talent.  My next email/call will be to our new coach.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

We should have a leg up on those schools mentioned.  We are much much better than St. Louis, Denver, Loyola-Chicago, and Evansville.  Plus we are Lutheran. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Michael Joseph "Spike" Albrecht is considering UWM and not valpo?
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 18, 2016, 10:19:57 PM
Michael Joseph "Spike" Albrecht is considering UWM and not valpo?
Lavall Jordan, his former Michigan coach, is now at UWM - so that makes sense.

chef

I hope he ends up at UWM. They're looking like an RPI killer next season. They need all the help they can get.

atkins

Ade Murkey looks like the real deal.  I like his athleticism and lightning-quick hands, as well as the authority he demonstrates when taking it to the hoop.  I also like his midrange jumper.

VU2014

Even though albrecht's old coach is now the new HC of UWM its still a long shot to want to spend your final year of eligibility there... https://twitter.com/PhearThePhoenix/status/720792229699260419

https://twitter.com/PhearThePhoenix/status/720791499143782400

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEM7tV0wRtP/
"To quote Groucho Marx "Hello, I must be going!" Before the decision is made for me, I am officially announcing my retirement as the voice of Milwaukee Panthers Men's basketball.
I would say it's taking the last life boat off the Titanic, but that would be unfair to the crew of the Titanic.
Never have so many competant, talented people been run off by such a talentless group of entitled beaurocrats. No matter how much the coaches, players, and support staff care, they can't overcome incompetent administrators.
UWM leads the world in incompetent administrators.
I criticize awful athletic directors like Koonce, Costello, Geiger, and Braun. It's not their fault. Hell, if they elected me President I'ld take the job. If I suck at it, it's not my fault. I'm not qualified to be President.
Should Amanda Braun turn down an AD job just because she's horribly under qualified? Hell no. She's a bad AD, and a deplorable human being, but those are the cards she's been dealt.
Those in charge of the UW System have failed to hire effective administrators. Failed. F F F F!
It has been my pleasure to work with the wonderful players and coaches for 17 seasons. The players, coaches, parents and the fans have been like my family.
I will miss Panther hoops the rest of my life.
Best of luck to my friends that are still imprisoned at UWM Athletics. Fight on, brothers (and sisters.) Keep your heads low and make us proud.
Finally, best of luck to LaVall Jordan, his staff, and the players. As so often happens in the NCAA, it's not your fault. Win and get out quick, because long term is fatal at UWM Athletics.
Panther Nation, it has been my pleasure.Cheers!"

IndyValpo

Per the Indianapolis Star:

Recruiting: Hazen gets plenty of new interest

Recruiting Insider
Kyle Neddenriep, IndyStar 12:11 p.m. EDT April 20, 2016

Columbia City senior Brachen Hazen is gaining plenty of interest after receiving his release from Central Florida following a coaching change.

The 6-7 Hazen, named to the IndyStar Indiana All-Star team last week, averaged 16.1 points per game as a senior for Columbia City. Here's an update on Hazen's recruitment:

• Arkansas coach Mike Anderson had an in-home visit with Hazen on Monday. He'll take an official visit to Arkansas beginning Monday of next week.

• Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew, who recruited Hazen while coach at Valparaiso, had an in-home visit in Columbia City on Tuesday. He'll take an unofficial visit to Vanderbilt on Friday.

• Ball State was in Tuesday for an in-home visit. Hazen is working on setting up an official visit to Ball State.

• Hazen has a workout scheduled at Purdue on Thursday.

• Virginia Tech is planning to see Hazen at a workout in Columbia City or set up an in-home visit.

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 20, 2016, 11:32:46 AM
Per the Indianapolis Star:

Recruiting: Hazen gets plenty of new interest

Recruiting Insider
Kyle Neddenriep, IndyStar 12:11 p.m. EDT April 20, 2016

Columbia City senior Brachen Hazen is gaining plenty of interest after receiving his release from Central Florida following a coaching change.

The 6-7 Hazen, named to the IndyStar Indiana All-Star team last week, averaged 16.1 points per game as a senior for Columbia City. Here's an update on Hazen's recruitment:

• Arkansas coach Mike Anderson had an in-home visit with Hazen on Monday. He'll take an official visit to Arkansas beginning Monday of next week.

• Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew, who recruited Hazen while coach at Valparaiso, had an in-home visit in Columbia City on Tuesday. He'll take an unofficial visit to Vanderbilt on Friday.

• Ball State was in Tuesday for an in-home visit. Hazen is working on setting up an official visit to Ball State.

• Hazen has a workout scheduled at Purdue on Thursday.

• Virginia Tech is planning to see Hazen at a workout in Columbia City or set up an in-home visit.

I still think Valpo is a little closer to Columbia City for his brother and family to watch games, than say Nashville, Lafayette, or Arkansas

valpopal

Zion Morgan has announced he will go to prep school rather than enroll in college as a freshman this year. That takes him off the board and leaves Valpo with no other official offers to recruits at Verbal Recruits for the upcoming year. Some schools have as many as 15 offers out at this time. Valpo has always had a targeted approach to recruiting rather than the shotgun approach employed by most other schools, but zero offers out in the middle of a signing period does suggest news of some kind should be coming soon, and it means that all the Bryce Drew offers for this year are cleared for a new Matt Lottich era of recruiting to begin. It will be interesting to observe.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on April 22, 2016, 11:02:48 AM
Zion Morgan has announced he will go to prep school rather than enroll in college as a freshman this year. That takes him off the board and leaves Valpo with no other official offers to recruits at Verbal Recruits for the upcoming year. Some schools have as many as 15 offers out at this time. Valpo has always had a targeted approach to recruiting rather than the shotgun approach employed by most other schools, but zero offers out in the middle of a signing period does suggest news of some kind should be coming soon, and it means that all the Bryce Drew offers for this year are cleared for a new Matt Lottich era of recruiting to begin. It will be interesting to observe.
Two years ago we didn't get Darien Walker until the middle of June.  I'm thinking that the coaching staff is working the transfer list, both traditional and graduate transfers, and the JUCOs very diligently at this time.  Yes, we the fans would love to know who else will be here in the fall, but I have faith in the coaching staff being able to work with Hammink, Davidson, Adekoya, Williams, Walker, Joseph, Smits, Bradford, Sorolla and whomever else they are able to recruit.  I also look forward to getting Peters back and Carter an extra year, which would round out a very good HL team next year.

With ml, Lottich and his new staff, I feel that we are in good hands in the near future.

VU2014

Zion Morgan was ruled out for coming here the moment we offered to Micah Bradford (better player, imo). Zion wanted to play the point but with Bradford being a natural point guard.

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on April 22, 2016, 11:24:00 AM
Quote from: valpopal on April 22, 2016, 11:02:48 AM
...Valpo has always had a targeted approach to recruiting rather than the shotgun approach employed by most other schools, but zero offers out in the middle of a signing period does suggest news of some kind should be coming soon, and it means that all the Bryce Drew offers for this year are cleared for a new Matt Lottich era of recruiting to begin. It will be interesting to observe.
...I'm thinking that the coaching staff is working the transfer list, both traditional and graduate transfers, and the JUCOs very diligently at this time.  Yes, we the fans would love to know who else will be here in the fall, but I have faith in the coaching staff....
As Radar used to say in M*A*S*H when anticipating a phone to ring or a helicopter to arrive, "wait for it."  ;)

ValpoDad89

Nothing earth shattering here but I think we can expect a transfer coming our way, especially with Skara leaving and possibly Peters, the staff would probably want to fill their spots somewhat. I'm guessing there are some P5 lesser known guys that would love to finish their careers playing for a winner.

valpo64

Still wish we could get Hazen...he was not only a scorer but a good rebounder averaging about 10 rpg

M

Edit: this needs to be moved to the recruiting 2017 page.

Greg Elliott has an offer from Valpo, https://twitter.com/scoopIPS/status/724707202024378369

So I'm on Verbal Commits and I looked at UIC's page, http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/illinois-chicago, had to laugh at their open offers with their spots available.

BigDFromUIC

Quote from: M on April 26, 2016, 01:27:24 PMSo I'm on Verbal Commits and I looked at UIC's page, http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/illinois-chicago, had to laugh at their open offers with their spots available.

Why?

The # of spots available now may not be the # of spots available a year from now.  Besides, hard to argue McClain's recruiting strategy when he's brought in the best HL class two years in a row.

M

Best rated class maybe...we will see if they wind up being the best.  I just think it's crazy that colleges (not just UIC) throw out 20 offers when they have just 1 spot open.  I know that is how it works, it is just crazy IMO.