• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 9: Belmont 12/3

Started by VULB#62, November 29, 2015, 08:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

VULB#62

Quote from the CBS article: "As of now, this team has the 19th-hardest schedule in the country, according to KenPom.com. In fact, had Valpo not dropped a game to Ball State over the weekend, they would be in tremendous shape."

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on December 03, 2015, 10:02:29 PM
We totally shut down Belmont's high scoring offense tonight. They scored 17 points below their LOWEST scoring game of the year. We completely shut down their fast break opportunities, took away almost all of their back door opportunities) a regular staple of Belmont's game for years), forced then to play deep into the shot clock, and contested almost every 3.  We give up the 7th fewest PPG in the nation (57), which is exactly what we gave up tonight. I don't know how it looks on the internet, but it's amazing to see in person.  When we get Tevonn back, David back at full speed, and Darien finds his shot ( which he will) we will be dominant. Belmont missed a golden opportunity to steal a win tonight. They're going to be facing a much better Crusader team in Nashville.

Did I mention I [heart] Defense?

The overall game looked to me (a non-BB addict) sloppy as hell.  There was no smoothness to the game.  But that, IMO, is because our defense thew the game into that mode.  And that mode made it hell for Belmont. Only wish our O-game could be smoother, but when you create chaos it happens at both ends of the court, I guess.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2015, 11:05:34 PMbut when you create chaos it happens at both ends of the court, I guess.

It doesn't have to be chaos (it could be smart) but that was no slouch of a defense Valpo was up against last night either.

agibson

Yeah.  At first I thought it was (another) of their really deep, really horrible there's and just exceptionally off target.  Then I reiEd it was just a rather off target alley-pop feed.  My wife thought the jumper might be seriously hurt. I wondered if he might mostly have injured his pride. But, no help from the pass, certainly.

crusader05

In the moment I was seriously worried he was hurt bad, that fall looked rough.

Once he was okay I wanted to laugh but then I remembered our triple fail for an easy lay-up on an open break during the Maryland Game

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 03, 2015, 09:38:34 PM
Quote from: agibson on December 03, 2015, 09:25:45 PM.  Sou

freezed several times.  No audio for most of the game. 
Watched the whole game on replay and it was fine on my Android.  No issues whatsoever.

I actually don't get the HLN love.  The app was no longer available for Android, so I *love* espn3.

HC

When the shots aren't falling you can always play defense.  Defense is desire (most of the time). 

valpospartan

wh

Quote from: valpospartan on December 04, 2015, 11:18:56 PM
Quote from: wh on December 04, 2015, 03:54:51 PM
! No longer available

The reason for a Belmont highlight video escapes me.

Does the reason for the Belmont coach's postgame comments on the same video clip also escape you? 

Next time I'll provide a set of instructions on what to look for... ;)

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 04, 2015, 11:38:48 PM
! No longer available

Does the reason for the Belmont coach's postgame comments on the same video clip also escape you? 

Some kind of instruction would have been helpful but I would have watched it all the way through no matter what.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2015, 02:10:24 AM
! No longer available

Some kind of instruction would have been helpful but I would have watched it all the way through no matter what.

"All the way through" a 2 minute 14 second video? How sacrificial of you! lol

talksalot

Quote from: wh on December 05, 2015, 05:47:31 AMAll the way through" a 2 minute 14 second video? How sacrificial of you! lol

I did pause it half-way through to get more popcorn.... these feature length clips make me hungry!

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 04, 2015, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 03, 2015, 09:38:34 PM
Quote from: agibson on December 03, 2015, 09:25:45 PM.  Sou

freezed several times.  No audio for most of the game. 
Watched the whole game on replay and it was fine on my Android.  No issues whatsoever.

I actually don't get the HLN love.  The app was no longer available for Android, so I *love* espn3.

HLN didn't interface with anything and still had a low resolution and choppy stream. ESPN3 works with Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, Android, ios, etc. I'll take ESPN3 any day.

Just Sayin

! No longer available

The video highlights the fact that Valpo beat a very good Belmont team, even though the cuts were all positive and selective.

VULB#62

Not gonna take them lightly at their place on the 28th, I'll bet.

agibson

Quote from: wh on December 05, 2015, 05:47:31 AM

Without the explanation, I didn't make it through.  Thought, "Valpo does it too, but would it kill teams to hale highlights from both teams, give it some narrative flow, more of a game summary?" And stopped halfway through.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on December 05, 2015, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: wh on December 05, 2015, 05:47:31 AM

Without the explanation, I didn't make it through.  Thought, "Valpo does it too, but would it kill teams to hale highlights from both teams, give it some narrative flow, more of a game summary?" And stopped halfway through.

[/quote]
Yeah, I don't really want to watch 2 minutes of Belmont making deep desperation 3s.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 05, 2015, 12:46:00 PMYeah, I don't really want to watch 2 minutes of Belmont making deep desperation 3s.

Really? I was being facetious about going the whole length of the 2:14 video with wh. Doesn't wh deserve some latitude of at least 2:14?

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 04, 2015, 09:27:01 AM
[tweet]672798821416460288[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/valpovines/status/672798821416460288

Does anyone remember the call on this play? They gave Valpo the ball but I didn't really see anything wrong on Belmont's part and the other ref who made the call was off the screen.

crusader05

Was it shot clock violation?

agibson

Quote from: crusader05 on December 05, 2015, 02:20:09 PM
Was it shot clock violation?

I don't remember, but good call.  Seems likely.  Clock seems to be at 00, and Alec likes the call.