• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

02/19/16 Oakland at the ARC

Started by 78crusader, February 17, 2016, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

VU 72
Oakland 68

All hands on deck for this one.  Most important game of the year. 

Paul

Kyle321n

I understand that "Kampe is going to Kampe" but I'm having real trouble understanding something. In the last 9 games Brad Brechting has averaged 7.5 MPG, and doesn't score, shoot or do anything really in his 7 minutes (1.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1 block per game, 1.5 fouls per game). Yet he's started every one of these games. In the same time Percy Gibson and Martez Walker have averaged 20 mpg a piece. Why they don't start Gibson anymore is beyond me.

Anyway we need this one big time, I don't want to have to worry about needing a sweep during the Wisconsin trip.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 17, 2016, 10:09:31 AM
I understand that "Kampe is going to Kampe" but I'm having real trouble understanding something. In the last 9 games Brad Brechting has averaged 7.5 MPG, and doesn't score, shoot or do anything really in his 7 minutes (1.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1 block per game, 1.5 fouls per game). Yet he's started every one of these games. In the same time Percy Gibson and Martez Walker have averaged 20 mpg a piece. Why they don't start Gibson anymore is beyond me.

Anyway we need this one big time, I don't want to have to worry about needing a sweep during the Wisconsin trip.

Kampe has basicly acknowledged that Gibson is  head case.  His feeling must be that he is better off the bench in the same way as Bryce has changed his starting five from last year.  This game scares the heck out of me.  Oakland has figured it out and blew Wright State out twice.  Us? not so much.  They are incredibly athletic and if they play together are every bit as good as us.  Not predicting a loss but the flat, underwhelming performances of the last few games just won't get it done Friday.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

It's not the same Oakland team we smashed in Detroit earlier this year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

I have a feeling we'll come out flat while Oakland comes ready to play and pumped to win this one.  Then we'll be stuck with another disappointing loss.  Hope I'm wrong.   

HC

I never pick against Valpo, but had I not watched the 2nd half of yesterday's game I may have had to here.  I really think Valpo rediscovered itself in the 2nd half offensively (minus all the subbing in and out).  Oakland is better then when we first matched up, but also very capable of giving up a lot of points.  Kay Felder is going to shoot 20+ times and when this happens, Valpo wins.

I will go with a 84-77 Valpo Victory.

covufan

We need to play a full 40 minutes!

Valpo    83
Oakland  70

wh

Ode to our best friend - Oakland's matador defense:

! No longer available

matador defense (mat'-uh-dor' de'-fens) noun. A lackluster, low-effort form of defense in which the defender simply reaches for the ball and then quickly pulls his hand away -- similar to how a matador pulls his cape out of the way of a charging bull -- as the offensive player drives by him for an easy shot at the hoop.

VUfan

Well this game is why you play or why you are fan, the outcome is important, play off Ball! enjoy! Valpo has played winning Ball in many more of these games then Oakland.The Team has worked hard the win these games, Show your stuff!  VU 78 OU 72  ;D

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on February 17, 2016, 10:26:55 AMNot predicting a loss but the flat, underwhelming performances of the last few games just won't get it done Friday.

Totally agree with this. It can not be another flat, underwhelming, performance by Valpo or a loss is assured.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

nkvu

I don't usually make predictions but I will say that if Oakland gets off to a fast start we will have a tough time overcoming it given our propensity toward starting slowly.  If Oakland gains confidence it could be a long night.  And if it comes down to the final possession who is our go to guy?  Alec is our best player but he can't create his own shot like Rowdy could. So it comes down to whichever guard has the ball. I don't think any of them have shown that they can come through in the clutch when the game is on the line because we haven't had that many close games.  This game will tell us a lot about what kind of team this is when the pressure is on. That we have the talent to win easily I have no doubt. Will we?  We shall see.

oklahomamick

Who is this a must win for?This game is more important for who?

CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 18, 2016, 07:38:10 AM
Who is this a must win for?This game is more important for who?

Well here's what happens if each team loses and wins...

If Valpo wins:
HL Standings
-We essentially clinch top 2 seed in the league and have a 3 game lead in the loss column with 3 games remaining.
NCAA Standing
-It's not a top 100 win, but it could end the season in a top 100 win (They are at 118 in RPI)

If Valpo Loses:
HL Standings
-Only a 1 game lead with 3 games to go and the road trip in Wisconsin. Puts us in jeopardy of the 3 way tie for the 1 seed, which isn't good since the tiebreakers aren't in our favor
NCAA Standing
-Officially ends all thought an at large if we lose in Detroit.
-Drops us out of conversation for an 11 or lower seed and puts us in the San Diego St, Hawaii and UNC Wilmington range for Auto-Qualifiers (13, 14 seed)

If Oakland wins:
HL Standings
-1 game back of the 1 seed, and essentially locks up a double bye due to tie breakers.
NCAA Standing
-A road top 75 win paired with taking MSU to OT and a win at Washington puts them in the conversation of a 12 or 13 seed if they win in Detroit

If Oakland Loses:
HL Standings
-Tied with Wright State for the 2 seed with 2 games to go doesn't sound good, but it's UIC and Detroit and they own the H2H tiebreaker.
NCAA Standing
-Eh, they were going to be a 14 or 15 seed if they win in Detroit anyway.

I think it's pretty obvious for which team this game is bigger.

HailVU2014

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 18, 2016, 11:05:24 AM
I think it's pretty obvious for which team this game is bigger.

I actually don't think it is 100% obvious for which team this game is bigger for. I see it as Valpo has a lot to lose and Oakland has a lot to gain. But regardless, this game is HUGE.

It's not a must win for Valpo for much of anything, although it kinda feels like it, as a loss does is make the final three games as "must wins" which is both disappointing and unsettling... especially after what would be losing two in a row at home and needing a flawless 5-0 run to get into the dance. But a loss does not lose the double bye and it doesn't lose the regular season crown, so let's not jump off a cliff if we lose...we just have to buckle down and find ourselves again. Also, we have to move along from the at-large stuff and if Valpo is in the NCAA tourney, we are an 11-13 seed, most of which will probably be decided on geographic location, like the last two dances, I really don't think a win or loss changes it.

But for Oakland, I feel like this is their moment to shine. It is sort of a must-win for them if they want a chance at a share of the regular season Horizon League Crown and after losses to YSU and NKU, wouldn't they just love that. One thing to consider is that a revenge win would give them undeniably great amount of momentum for the tournament in Detroit, as they have proven that they can beat everyone in the conference. A win is validation that their close game with MSU and win over Washington weren't flukes. With a win, they get a top 100 win for a post-season resume and would likely finish 9-0 on the road in Horizon League play, which is extremely difficult to do.

I hope we sell out the ARC. There are NO excuses.

Kyle321n

Quote from: HailVU2014 on February 18, 2016, 02:21:00 PM
I hope we sell out the ARC. There are NO excuses.
Haha, you say that like I can come up with a list...

• It's going to be 50 degrees at tip off, that's way to nice to sit inside a stuffy gym. Let's go to the beach!
  • Valpo High School boys compete in the Campbell-Meridian Rivalry up the road against Chesterton (I don't know if this is what it's actually called but it should be)
  • Dunes Birds and Brews is tomorrow! How can the birder in me miss this?
  • The Wizard of Oz opens up at the Memorial Opera House!
  • I can't miss opening night of Kaleidoscope

There will be 3500 people at the ARC, it'll be loud at tip off, when "Timber" plays, and possibly at the end of the game.

HC

I don't think VHS will have a game.  They don't have school tomorrow due to a busted water pipe.

Kyle321n

Quote from: HC on February 18, 2016, 03:40:08 PM
I don't think VHS will have a game.  They don't have school tomorrow due to a busted water pipe.

It's up at Cheesetown, so they might still have the game.

justducky

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 18, 2016, 02:34:18 PMDunes Birds and Brews is tomorrow! How can the birder in me miss this?
The Brews portion of that does sound interesting but what species of Dunes Birds will they be serving?
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 18, 2016, 02:34:18 PMThere will be 3500 people at the ARC, it'll be loud at tip off, when "Timber" plays, and possibly at the end of the game.
Just checked the E-tix available seating chart and only 25 or so seats remain below. Looks like enough mezzanine are gone that a good walk up crowd could put us at or near the season high? Competing events and a blown opportunity against WSU make it very hard to make an accurate prediction but somewhere between 2500 and 5000 sounds about right.  :thumbsup:

elephtheria47

the first ever 219 day at hammond civic center!!

a3uge

wh

I'm hoping for a huge crowd and great energy. My gold (yellow ;))Valpo hoodie, Crusader T, and custom fit Valpo cap are locked and loaded. It should be a good one!

crusadermoe

Just Ducky says that attendance of 2500 to 5000 "sounds right."    I think he has a future as a weatherman who picks a high temperature between 25 and 50.     

If this Oakland game doesn't bring 4,000+ let's just prohibit the arena talk going forward.  We don't go up against juggernauts like Room 222, the Brady Bunch, and the Partridge Family any more.   4,000 is no problem.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on February 18, 2016, 10:09:41 PM
I'm hoping for a huge crowd and great energy. My gold (yellow ;))Valpo hoodie, Crusader T, and custom fit Valpo cap are locked and loaded. It should be a good one!

I was also expecting a great game against Wright State but they let us down horribly in what should have been a revenge game. I just don't know anymore how this team will react. Let's hope it's very positively.

talksalot

ESPN-U With the coverage tomorrow... Hope the Akron / Kent State game does go into OT !   Iona and Monmouth to follow us... they have a 10pm tip on the east coast!