• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 32: Green Bay at Joe Louis Arena - Horizon League Semifinals - 3/7/16

Started by agibson, March 06, 2016, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

I suspect the reason for Vashil's reduced minutes had to do with Green Bay's press, and the fact Valpo was down most of the game. Jubril is handy because he can handle the ball. He's also better on offense, something which you typically need to generate a comeback.

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on March 08, 2016, 10:08:24 AMI saw where someone thought this was the worst thing for Valpo basketball since the Harden one finger salute.  I realize the frustration and disappointment, but I still believe that this team the best team Valpo has had.  They may not have achieved their goal for the season, but should still be proud.  The 1998 team may have finished the season well, but this team played well (mostly) the whole year. Green Bay should be congratulated on the game they played.  They beat us, out hustled us, and had an answer for every time we had a little momentum.  Watching the game, it seemed that our team, except for Peters and sometimes Carter, did not have a sense of urgency while playing 6-7 points down most of the second half.  GB played with energy the whole game, especially after we took a short lead in OT. The game came down to the 3-point line - they made their shots and we didn't.  According to ESPN's BPI, we saved our worst game of the year for last night.  Also, GB played their best game of the year.  We play an average game, we win. While I still feel that we are worthy of an at-large berth, I'm not convinced the selection committee will think so.  RPI is not the only ranking system that the committee uses, and I hope that the committee looks at our time in the AP and USA Today polls, as we were in the top 40 for much of the last several weeks.  It would have been nice if Wichita State had won the MVC, so that is one at-large off the table.  We now need for the rest of the conference tournaments to be won by the expected team.  We also need most or all of the bubble teams to lose early in their respective conference tournaments.  This includes Vandy, Cincinnati, St. Bonaventure, Syracuse, VA Commonwealth, UConn, Temple, Gonzaga, Oregon St, Tulsa, Michigan, Florida, South Carolina and Pittsburgh.  With Monmouth also losing, I think we are competing with them and Temple for a play-in 12 seed. I think that a nice finish to this season would be a trip to NY.  This team can do it - I just hope that they get motivated for going on the road to have that opportunity.

On paper this may be the best team Valpo ever had, but in reality this team did not meet expectations when it counted, but that's basketball. GB played an A game and Valpo played a C+/C game last night. Regarding the NIT, in the grand scheme it is "who cares" scenario, where we are talking about warm fuzzies and feel good plastic trophies.

VUOR63

I, like all of the other fans on this board, was disappointed about last night's loss but it got me thinking that if Valpo misses the NCAA tournament (highly likely, I know--but still not completely ruled out...ask Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber), the coaches and players need to understand that the games in November and December really don't matter.  Furthermore, the league games really don't matter either.  The only thing that matters is that your team is playing their best ball over one extended weekend in early March.  Who really cares if you're a 14 or 15 seed--as long as you're in the dance?

Coming to this understanding means, as a coach you should play 12 deep throughout the season to develop your young players and make sure your senior players are well rested.  Because, again, it doesn't matter if you win games in the regular season--As an alum and fan, I'd gladly trade the 2 wins against Green Bay, or Milwaukie or UIC or anyone else for an NCAA tournament appearance.

nkvu

Well at least we lost in ot to the team that won it all. I suppose that's something. Ok it's not much but it's something. I'm trying real hard here.

Chairback

Quote from: Pgmado on March 08, 2016, 02:40:18 PMHe would not have to sit out next season.

If it were me and I would have a chance to go to a Power 5 and I have nba potential it's a no brainer to go.  You are gaining nothing by staying.  Your ability will always be questioned if you could play at a higher level if you stay at Valpo.

VUfan

UWGB Was the best Team this weekend, good week to be good.   Nice Job! Over the last four years we have spoiled a number of weekends for GB, this weekend we were weak and ended!   ???

valpo84

Congrats to UWGB they earned the tourney championship. Cooper and Fouse were to me Co-MOPs of tourney. 

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

Brian Wardle who?

So this is a guy who had little success and took advantage of it and put himself in a better situation in the MVC.....  8-)
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

I'm Watching the GB late news coverage of the GB win. Didn't realize that this is their first NCAA visit in 20 years.  Gotta a say, they did a great job of winning 4 games in 4 days. Congratulation to the Phoenix.

We now have good coaching at VU, GB, WSU, Oakland, and UWM.  The NKU coach is a go-getter and that program will rise quickly.  I think UIC will improve under their new coach as well. The CSU  coach had some really bad luck retaining some key players this year, but his teams are usually very competitive. That leaves UDM and YSU. 

Goraiders93

We all miss the old format...this would have helped tonight. Watch the full video. Gives me chills at the end.

http://youtu.be/rfWPIlhkDKI

valpotx

Yeah, but if it was the old format, you still wouldn't have hosted.  The championship game would have been at Valpo ;).

I do have to say that in spite of my deep dislike for anything Butler, that HL semifinal game I attended at Valpo was the loudest I have ever heard the ARC.  That is saying something for one of the best environments in all of college basketball (talking about decibels here, not the look of our gym).  It was back-and-forth screaming from Butler and Valpo fans.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2016, 11:43:48 PM
Yeah, but if it was the old format, you still wouldn't have hosted.  The championship game would have been at Valpo ;).

I do have to say that in spite of my deep dislike for anything Butler, that HL semifinal game I attended at Valpo was the loudest I have ever heard the ARC.  That is saying something for one of the best environments in all of college basketball (talking about decibels here, not the look of our gym).  It was back-and-forth screaming from Butler and Valpo fans.

Nope, old format would have been at the Nutter Center. Similar to 2014 when Milwaukee knocked off #1 seed Green Bay and Wright St. was the higher seed in the Championship game.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

HC

I thought we should've been playing more zone just to keep Vashil in the game...then again I haven't won a ton of Division 1 basketball games so I will trust Coach Drew's judgement even in defeat.

valpotx

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 09, 2016, 08:39:11 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2016, 11:43:48 PM

Nope, old format would have been at the Nutter Center. Similar to 2014 when Milwaukee knocked off #1 seed Green Bay and Wright St. was the higher seed in the Championship game.

You didn't get my not-so-subtle hint that we would have beaten GB at the ARC ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: HC on March 09, 2016, 09:15:32 AM
I thought we should've been playing more zone just to keep Vashil in the game...then again I haven't won a ton of Division 1 basketball games so I will trust Coach Drew's judgement even in defeat.

......and that was a mistake....play with your strength.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Bleacher Report suggest only 6 teams in the NCAA tourney being worse than Green Bay.  Good job HL, way to send the best representative of the league.   :thumbsup:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2621911-ncaa-basketball-2016-real-time-team-rankings-going-into-selection-sunday/page/11

CRUSADERS!!!

wh

From the article:

The Phoenix can run, but on possessions where they don't force turnovers, they don't defend well enough to hang with elite teams.

The author must not be aware that GB has 2 of the top 5 defenders in the 130-player HL, as selected by HL coaches and/or media experts. He probably just went to the NCAA's statistics page that shows GB in the bottom half of D-1 in team defense and came to a shortsighted conclusion that GB is a mediocre defensive team. I doubt if he is even aware that Alec averaged more points against GB than any other team in the HL.  Does this sound like a team that "doesn't defend well enough to hang with elite teams?"