• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT

Started by valpotx, March 08, 2016, 12:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Here's Valpo (resolution of calendar months)

And here's the weekly level since last February

agibson

This "valparaiso" business is tricky with the city in Chile, of course. Not to mention the city in Indiana. Restricting to the US helps, but, after that, does one trust google to distinguish?

It seems like the NIT so far is probably doing something for "valpo" (more sports related?). But, it does seem like, so far, it's not nearly as impressive as an NCAA bid.

Just two more graphs, at least for now!

Comparing to the other schools mentioned, on the 10-year time frame (calendar month data points):

and the last 13 months or so, weekly data points:

(Yeah! Data!)

talksalot

er uh.... back on target... looks like Valpo may be the only #1 seed to survive the Round of 16...

St. Bonnie gone in Round 1 to Wagner
Monmouth gone in round 2 to Geo Washington 87-71
So Carolina is about to be gone in Round 2 to GaTech... Wreck leading 67-36 with 10:30to play

Region 1:
Tuesday Night:  #4 Creighton @ #2 BYU

Region 3:
#4 Georgia Tech will travel to either #2 San Diego State or #3 Washington on Wednesday night

Region 4:
#4 George Washington travels to Gainesville to take on the #2 Gators

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on March 21, 2016, 09:30:46 PMMonmouth gone in round 2 to Geo Washington 87-71
It was not close. I think the Massey number on Monmouth (about 62nd ?) was better than the selection committees opinion.
Quote from: talksalot on March 21, 2016, 09:30:46 PMSo Carolina is about to be gone in Round 2 to GaTech... Wreck leading 67-36 with 10:30to play
South Carolina suspended a number of players for this game and it shows.

I fear #2 St Mary's then #2 BYU then #2 Florida.  All will be very very difficult.

talksalot

Here's the story...

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article66217612.html

valpotx

This is shaping up to be a fun final 8.  I would look forward to us playing any of these teams.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on March 21, 2016, 09:50:19 PM

Here's the story...

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article66217612.html

I encourage you to listen to Frank Martin talk about the privilege of playing basketball at a division 1 school. I wish more college coaches thought like Frank Martin. It has to be about more than just winning. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: justducky on March 21, 2016, 09:43:10 PM

For the whole post-season, apoarently, from talksalot's link. Backup PG, redshirted, role players. But it has to be a big psychological hit and meant they only dressed 9.

Elsewhere in the NIT, in the (very) late game San Diego State beat Washington by 15 in San Diego, apparently on the strength of stifling interior defense. So, all of the other brackets end in 2-4 matchups.

valpopal

FWIW: CBS sportscaster Frank Cusumano reports St. Louis has contacted Bryce's representatives about their coaching position, but nothing happens until Valpo finishes with the NIT.

a3uge

Saw Monmouth's gym on TV, and it's actually pretty awesome. It was build in the past 10 years, but is set up kind of like the ARC. All the seats actually contract to set up a large practice area. The seats appear to be plastic, so nothing too fancy.

Valpo could totally do this with the ARC. They'd just need to move concessions to a proper area.

NativeCheesehead

Great pics. I agree something like this could work in the ARC. In truth, for all the talk, we don't need a new arena. More and more schools when they build something new build off campus. I love the location(could use a little more parking). Strip the lower level and do something similar to Monmouth or the Orena. Build a concession stand that opens up on the track above the loading dock or chairback entrance, and add that new LED style lighting. Great, glad that's cleared up. Everyone get in your couch cushions and see if we can rustle up a few mil.

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on March 22, 2016, 11:43:07 AM
FWIW: CBS sportscaster Frank Cusumano reports St. Louis has contacted Bryce's representatives about their coaching position, but nothing happens until Valpo finishes with the NIT.

I would hope that he wouldn't leave us for a St. Louis.  While they have a solid stadium, are in a large city, and have that private school freedom that he would enjoy, I don't see it as much of a step up over our program.  He can do better than St. Louis, and if he were to leave, I would hope that it is for a Power 5, not an A-10 school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2016, 01:55:18 PM

I would hope that he wouldn't leave us for a St. Louis.  While they have a solid stadium, are in a large city, and have that private school freedom that he would enjoy, I don't see it as much of a step up over our program.  He can do better than St. Louis, and if he were to leave, I would hope that it is for a Power 5, not an A-10 school.

I agree. I don't think Saint Louis fits Bryce any better than DePaul.

usc4valpo

SLU is a better job than DePaul. DePaul's hoop rpgram is a complete travesty.

a3uge

Didn't SLU pay Majerus close to $750,000 or something like that? If the money is right - Bryce will leave. Everyone has a price. With that said, Bryce has a permanent, low pressure job here at Valpo. I don't think he'd leave for SLU.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 22, 2016, 04:53:03 PMDidn't SLU pay Majerus close to $750,000 or something like that?

Thats sounds about right, consistent with their IRS 990 from a few years back. I don't see Crews on their more recent forms, putting him below $660k or so, probably. But, of course, comepnsation packages and accounting can be complicated.

Bryce has had bigger financial offers before, right?

But, this seriously belongs in its own thread. Which I can then attempt to ignore.

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2016, 04:08:07 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2016, 01:55:18 PM

I agree. I don't think Saint Louis fits Bryce any better than DePaul.
Although Homer grew up in Webster Groves, a suburb of St Louis, I don't believe Bryce has any St Louis connections.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

If I'm Bryce, I at least think about the St Louis job. I'm not sure it is a full step ahead of where he has the Valpo program at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

That's a cool stadium and I could see the ARC being renovated to look like that.  I noticed the luxury sweets. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 22, 2016, 09:37:51 PM
That's a cool stadium and I could see the ARC being renovated to look like that.  I noticed the luxury sweets. 

Sort of like the box of chocolates that Billy Donlon had to deal with.  ;)

usc4valpo

If Valpo wins the NIT, there has to be serious actions for a significant ARC upgrade. The school is growing and the basketball program represents the school very well. The program and the university needs an upgraded athletics facility.

VULB#62

I'd say if Valpo was a finalist, win or lose.......

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 23, 2016, 08:08:42 AM
I'd say if Valpo was a finalist, win or lose.......

Is that what the chinese think? How do you say that in Mandarin? Wontonese?  ;)

Time for bed?

VULB#62

I have no idea. Just managing hello and thank you are major efforts.  Can't even get to Google translator here otherwise I would have written GO VALPO in Mandarin  ;D

govalpogo

So no high majors making the trip to NYC?  Representatives from the Horizon, WCC, A10, and MWC.  I thought the CIT and CBI were the "mid-major tournaments!"   ;)