• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT

Started by valpotx, March 08, 2016, 12:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: talksalot on March 15, 2016, 10:46:55 PM
Crisis not only averted... but just think of the 1500 people in town for the LBAA can get tickets to an NIT game... There are a handful of teams from Florida coming in!   6pm tip.  Same announcers... not sure of the network.

OH... reported attendance tonight 2,912  Incredible !!  and the chairback people were really into the game !!!!!
This could be a very cool thing with all the kids and parents on campus.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: justducky on March 12, 2016, 05:13:00 PM
Quote from: Chairback on March 12, 2016, 04:39:18 PMIf we hosted a NIT game, would we draw over 1,500 fans?  I'd have to say no.
A first round game vs a weak automatic qualifier might not do very well but a second round game against Ohio St, Florida St, Virginia Tech, or Alabama might bring in a couple fans.
Did I spot a disguised Chairback trying to sneak in? Well maybe not but if anybody sees him sneaking around Thursday remind him that he should be home watching the NCAA.  ::)

historyman

Quote from: Chairback on March 12, 2016, 04:39:18 PM
If we hosted a NIT game, would we draw over 1,500 fans?  I'd have to say no.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2016, 12:32:10 AM
Quote from: Chairback on March 12, 2016, 04:39:18 PMIf we hosted a NIT game, would we draw over 1,500 fans?  I'd have to say no.

2,900 Joe Louis estimate or for real? 

4,000 against Florida St Thursday?
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: justducky on March 15, 2016, 11:19:29 PM
Quote from: talksalot on March 15, 2016, 10:46:55 PMCrisis not only averted... but just think of the 1500 people in town for the LBAA can get tickets to an NIT game... There are a handful of teams from Florida coming in!   6pm tip.  Same announcers... not sure of the network.

OH... reported attendance tonight 2,912  Incredible !! 
That reported attendance appears to have been a true attendance. Looking around my estimate was 3800 which may highlight how inaccurate our regular season announced attendance is.

The paid attendance for regular season games includes all season ticket holders, whether they show or not. That could account for part of the difference.

talksalot

NIT SCORES

Tuesday 3/15
St Bonaventure Bracket
4 Creighton 72
5 Alabama 53

Valparaiso Bracket
1 Valpo 84
8 Texas Southern 73

4 Florida State 84
5 Davidson 74

2 St Marys 58
7 New Mexico State 56

South Carolina Bracket
1 South Carolina 88
8 High Point 66

3 Washington 107
6 Long Beach State 102

2 San Diego State 79
7 Fort Wayne 55

Monmouth Bracket
3 Ohio State 72
6 Akron 63 OVERTIME

2 Florida 97
7 North Florida 68

vu84v2

As one of the more outspoken people about the potential conflict with hosting the second round game, I commend the 'parties at be' for finding a very workable solution. I have no idea how difficult it was to work that out, but the Thursday night game solution seems like the best option for all parties. I would think most people have ESPNews (I have it...but had to look) and I am sure that the game is also on ESPN3. While the NCAA first round games and St. Patrick's create a conflict, the potential to include the kids and families from the basketball tournament in the second round NIT game is a bonus. Give them free or $1 tickets!  Fill the stadium!

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 16, 2016, 08:48:51 AM
While the NCAA first round games and St. Patrick's create a conflict,

I have a conflict on what to wear. Do you think they'll sell green Valpo gear? I know I'll have my shamrock shirt on, but unfortunately it's not VU related. I might need to wear my Valpo winter hat...

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 16, 2016, 08:48:51 AM
the potential to include the kids and families from the basketball tournament in the second round NIT game is a bonus. Give them free or $1 tickets!  Fill the stadium!

I say free to any player or coach and $5 for the families. Get them in the upper deck and we might fill the stadium. I'm sure a family of 4 would love to see a power 5 conference for $15.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

NativeCheesehead

Think it would be a great idea to get some of the LBAA familes/players in. Does anyone with a little inside info know if we're actually pushing this? Even if we can't/won't give them discounts are they at least being told?

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 16, 2016, 09:47:05 AM
Think it would be a great idea to get some of the LBAA familes/players in. Does anyone with a little inside info know if we're actually pushing this? Even if we can't/won't give them discounts are they at least being told?

Rod Moore is on the Board of Directors for the LBAA, as is Amanda Johnson (Valpo Undergrad Assistant Director of Admissions).
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Kyle321n

An e-mail to the parents would be a step toward them knowing. And if we helped book a block of rooms, a letter in the room saying "Welcome to Valpo, come out and support the Crusaders in the NIT vs. Florida St. Thursday, blah blah blah..." would be awesome as well.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Unfortunately, according to the LBAA Facebook page, the opening ceremonies are still going to be held at 6PM in the Chapel.  Parking on Campus will be at a premium with both events going on at the same time.  Maybe we should let people in free after halftime.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

humbleopinion

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2016, 11:00:13 AM
Unfortunately, according to the LBAA Facebook page, the opening ceremonies are still going to be held at 6PM in the Chapel.  Parking on Campus will be at a premium with both events going on at the same time.  Maybe we should let people in free after halftime.

Isn't that always the practice?
Beamin' Beacons

VULB#62

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 16, 2016, 11:36:19 AM

Hopefully (1) the service only lasts an hour (or less?) and (2) they will make an announcement at the service that admission to the VU/FSU game id free and to get their butts over there.

agibson

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 16, 2016, 11:36:19 AM
Maybe we should let people in free after halftime.

That's my understanding. (Also probably doesn't show up in the attendance statistics; but that's obviously a secondary factor. A distant second!)

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2016, 11:00:13 AMUnfortunately, according to the LBAA Facebook page, the opening ceremonies are still going to be held at 6PM in the Chapel.

Perhaps, as a start, someone facebook-savy could comment on their page and invite them to join the game after their opening service?

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 16, 2016, 11:49:23 AM
Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2016, 11:00:13 AMUnfortunately, according to the LBAA Facebook page, the opening ceremonies are still going to be held at 6PM in the Chapel.

Perhaps, as a start, someone facebook-savy could comment on their page and invite them to join the game after their opening service?

Just did it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Yesterday: These middle school kids can go shove off!

Today: How can we get these guys to buy tickets to our game?

NativeCheesehead

Like being in high school and seeing the girl you like hanging out with another guy. "(Expletive) him!"  "That's her brother." "Hey, man! Come hang out with us!"

Whatever is in Vu's best interest. :)

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2016, 01:56:13 PM
Yesterday: These middle school kids can go shove off!

Today: How can we get these guys to buy tickets to our game?

Yep, as long as you're not using the floor when we need it (despite having a signed contract) you guys are all our best buddies.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

Virginia Tech up a few over Princeton on ESPNU (7 minutes to go). Take a look at that crowd . Looks to be 80% or better filled.

WiscoCrusader

Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2016, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2016, 01:56:13 PMYesterday: These middle school kids can go shove off! Today: How can we get these guys to buy tickets to our game?
Yep, as long as you're not using the floor when we need it (despite having a signed contract) you guys are all our best buddies.

So tired of hearing about this signed contract.  I guarantee there is an out clause for significant Division One basketball use of the ARC, and unless you've seen the contract it's ridiculous to assume that out clause doesn't exist.

a3uge

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 16, 2016, 09:38:51 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2016, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2016, 01:56:13 PMYesterday: These middle school kids can go shove off! Today: How can we get these guys to buy tickets to our game?

So tired of hearing about this signed contract.  I guarantee there is an out clause for significant Division One basketball use of the ARC, and unless you've seen the contract it's ridiculous to assume that out clause doesn't exist.
I don't think I've ever seen someone get so worked up over the NIT before.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on March 16, 2016, 08:42:10 PMVirginia Tech up a few over Princeton on ESPNU (7 minutes to go). Take a look at that crowd . Looks to be 80% or better filled.

Virginia Tech won 86-81 in OT. I looked it up and Cassell Coliseum holds 9,847 and they called it a packed house. That might turn out to be the best crowd of the NIT tournament. My only point is that not everybody thinks the NIT is a worthless consolation prize.

agibson

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 16, 2016, 10:18:07 PMI'd still rather be in the play in game instead of winning the NIT. I don't feel like I'm alone in that opinion.

My son was asking about NCAA-equivalents of winning the NIT.

My initial reaction was that it'd be pretty special, equivalent (in basketball difficulty terms, if not publicity terms) to a sweet sixteen run. Maybe that was too much.

But, I'm pretty sure it'd be better than being on the losing end of a 13-4 game in the NCAA.

It'd be a pretty shiny trophy in the case.