• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT

Started by valpotx, March 08, 2016, 12:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2016, 09:46:52 PM
Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 16, 2016, 09:38:51 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 16, 2016, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2016, 01:56:13 PMYesterday: These middle school kids can go shove off! Today: How can we get these guys to buy tickets to our game?
Yep, as long as you're not using the floor when we need it (despite having a signed contract) you guys are all our best buddies.

So tired of hearing about this signed contract.  I guarantee there is an out clause for significant Division One basketball use of the ARC, and unless you've seen the contract it's ridiculous to assume that out clause doesn't exist.
I don't think I've ever seen someone get so worked up over the NIT before.

Maybe you guys aren't aware?  This issue has already been resolved, seemingly to the satisfaction of all parties involved. Time to relax and enjoy the moment. :)

justducky

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 16, 2016, 10:18:07 PMIf MSG doesn't get more than that it would look pathetic.
Wasn't counting MSG but that is a neutral site so don't anticipate too much better.
Quote from: bsmith21 on March 16, 2016, 10:18:07 PMI'm sure creighton got alot of fans too, but that doesn't change the facts.
BYU also looked near packed.

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 16, 2016, 10:18:07 PMI'd still rather be in the play in game instead of winning the NIT. I don't feel like I'm alone in that opinion.
I don't think you are necessarily wrong but if we had made the NCAA with Tevonn at 70% it is a fair question to ask how far we could advance or if we could advance at all. At the ARC against FSU I like our chances even if Tevonn doesn't leave the bench.

justducky

#1 seed St Bonaventure gone!   :o   Wagner with a 79-75 win.

VULB#62

So two Lutheran schools advance. Huzzah, huzzah.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2016, 01:56:13 PMYesterday: These middle school kids can go shove off! Today: How can we get these guys to buy tickets to our game?
Yep, as long as you're not using the floor when we need it (despite having a signed contract) you guys are all our best buddies.

So tired of hearing about this signed contract.  I guarantee there is an out clause for significant Division One basketball use of the ARC, and unless you've seen the contract it's ridiculous to assume that out clause doesn't exist.

I do happen to know former members of the LBAA board of directors and in the past they have told me how they had to make adjustments to their schedule for the Valpo basketball team. I can't say there is not some kind of "out clause" in the contract but I do know that Rod Moore, being involved in both the Valpo men's basketball team and a director of the LBAA would not have accepted the position on the LBAA board without Valpo being protected from a scheduling issue. Have you ever talked to Rod about this yourself? I have.

I wish you would stop talking about issues you know nothing about.

http://lbaa.org/lbaa-board-of-directors/

Smj

Quote from: vu72 on March 16, 2016, 12:03:53 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 16, 2016, 11:49:23 AM
Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2016, 11:00:13 AMUnfortunately, according to the LBAA Facebook page, the opening ceremonies are still going to be held at 6PM in the Chapel.

Perhaps, as a start, someone facebook-savy could comment on their page and invite them to join the game after their opening service?

Just did it.
I don't see anything on the lbaa facebook page. ...   did it get deleted?

Go Valpo!

IndyValpo

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 16, 2016, 10:18:07 PM
If MSG doesn't get more than that it would look pathetic. NIT is absolutely a consolation prize. I'msure creighton got alot of fans too, but that doesn't change the facts. I'd still rather be in the play in game instead of winning the NIT. I don't feel like I'm alone in that opinion.
Quote from: bsmith21 on March 16, 2016, 10:51:02 PM
So does the CBI CIT and some tournament that that I played in when I was 8. Ask any tournament team they will tell you that theyd rather get a shot

Wow you are really covering some new ground here. Thanks for enlightening the masses.

As it stands today we are in the NIT and I think you will find that everyone, and I mean everyone, here understands the difference between that and the Big Dance without the lesson from you. It doesn't mean we should not support the team and enjoy that tourney.

VULB#62

Quote from: Smj on March 17, 2016, 06:45:42 AM
Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2016, 11:00:13 AMUnfortunately, according to the LBAA Facebook page, the opening ceremonies are still going to be held at 6PM in the Chapel.

Perhaps, as a start, someone facebook-savy could comment on their page and invite them to join the game after their opening service?

Just did it.

Go Valpo!

Russ' heads-up can be found in the "Guest Comments" to the left.

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 17, 2016, 07:09:38 AM
If MSG doesn't get more than that it would look pathetic. NIT is absolutely a consolation prize. I'msure creighton got alot of fans too, but that doesn't change the facts. I'd still rather be in the play in game instead of winning the NIT. I don't feel like I'm alone in that opinion.
So does the CBI CIT and some tournament that that I played in when I was 8. Ask any tournament team they will tell you that theyd rather get a shot

Wow you are really covering some new ground here. Thanks for enlightening the masses.

As it stands today we are in the NIT and I think you will find that everyone, and I mean everyone, here understands the difference between that and the Big Dance without the lesson from you. It doesn't mean we should not support the team and enjoy that tourney.

I might add that in terms of overall potential impact on the program, the snub factor for the last 4 out has kept Valpo in the headlines a lot longer than if we had gotten an at-large.  And if we would have gotten a bid to the NCAAT, we would be buried right now among the big name Power 5 schools in terms of publicity.  We probably could have gotten an upset win in game one, and some notoriety, but chances are that we'd endure a round of 32 elimination and rapidly disappear from the national radar screen. By receiving the #1 seed in the NIT we have sustained greater national publicity and exposure this week.  If we beat the Seminoles tonight, we will be doing it on a national stage and remain on the national radar.  If we make it to MSG in NYC we will get primetime national exposure.  The Valpo "Brand" has the potential of actually getting more exposure through the NIT than a one and done or even an optimistic two and done in the NCAAT.  Bsmith21, you simply cannot lump the NIT in with the other alphabet, pay-to-get-in tournaments that only the participants care about. Yes, it is not the NCAAT, but the NIT, for those who really follow college basketball carries a substantial level of respect and for us right now it might be an even better forum.

But we have to get by the Seminoles first.  We did it in 1998.  Lets do it in 2016.

Smj

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 08:04:58 AM
Quote from: Smj on March 17, 2016, 06:45:42 AM

Just did it.

Go Valpo!

Russ' heads-up can be found in the "Guest Comments" to the left.
That does not appear in my mobile facebook. ...

Go Valpo!

bbtds

I went to lookup Lutheran Basketball's facebook page. I put in LBAA facebook and got the Lady Bass Anglers Association's page. Maybe vu72 invited the female bass catchers to the NIT by mistake.  ;D

If anyone is interested in watching the live video from the LBAA held at Valpo here is the website:

http://video.lbaatournament.org/

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2016, 09:24:55 AM
I went to lookup Lutheran Basketball's facebook page. I put in LBAA facebook and got the Lady Bass Anglers Association's page. Maybe vu72 invited the female bass catchers to the NIT by mistake.  ;D

If anyone is interested in watching the live video from the LBAA held at Valpo here is the website:

http://video.lbaatournament.org/

No, the Lady Bass Anglers would only be interested in the UDM game. That's because they would have only been interested in catching Paris Bass.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

WiscoCrusader

Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2016, 09:46:52 PM

I don't think I've ever seen someone get so worked up over the NIT before.

And I don't think I've ever seen someone who calls himself a Valpo basketball fan get so NOT worked up over the NIT #1 seed before.  Looks like home court advantage was something worth fighting for, doesn't it?!?

talksalot

March 17 7 p.m. ESPNEWS No. 1 Valparaiso 81 No. 4 Florida State 69
   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)

March 18 9:30 p.m. ESPNU No. 2 BYU vs. No. 3 Virginia Tech
March 19 Noon ESPN No. 8 Wagner vs. No. 4 Creighton
March 20 Noon ESPN No. 2 Florida vs. No. 3 Ohio State
March 20 7:30 p.m. ESPNU No. 2 St. Mary's (CA) vs. No. 3 Georgia
March 21 7 p.m. ESPN No. 1 Monmouth vs. No. 4 George Washington
March 21 9 p.m. ESPN No. 1 South Carolina vs. No. 4 Georgia Tech
March 21 11:30 p.m. ESPN2 No. 2 San Diego St. vs. No. 3 Washington

agibson

Maybe covered on the other thread, but apparently $1 tickets were offered after the LBAA service. Hundreds came in at half time. Filling most I'd the empty seats in the ARC, with more standing than I remember seeing.

Hopefully good memories for many players, coaches, and families.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 08:30:35 AM

I might add that in terms of overall potential impact on the program, the snub factor for the last 4 out has kept Valpo in the headlines a lot longer than if we had gotten an at-large.  And if we would have gotten a bid to the NCAAT, we would be buried right now among the big name Power 5 schools in terms of publicity.  We probably could have gotten an upset win in game one, and some notoriety, but chances are that we'd endure a round of 32 elimination and rapidly disappear from the national radar screen. By receiving the #1 seed in the NIT we have sustained greater national publicity and exposure this week.  If we beat the Seminoles tonight, we will be doing it on a national stage and remain on the national radar.  If we make it to MSG in NYC we will get primetime national exposure.  The Valpo "Brand" has the potential of actually getting more exposure through the NIT than a one and done or even an optimistic two and done in the NCAAT.  Bsmith21, you simply cannot lump the NIT in with the other alphabet, pay-to-get-in tournaments that only the participants care about. Yes, it is not the NCAAT, but the NIT, for those who really follow college basketball carries a substantial level of respect and for us right now it might be an even better forum.

But we have to get by the Seminoles first.  We did it in 1998.  Lets do it in 2016.
This is an older post, but it's not true:

Nothing beats having your name appear on a bracket and having thousands of people look up your school. You literally get more exposure as a 16 seed than being one of the last 4 out and playing deep in the NIT.

justducky

Florida leading Ohio St 39-32 early in second half. Covered on ESPN.

VULB#62

Can't argue with statistics. Good call. However, it might be interesting to continue that graph through the NIT finals. I would suspect that Valpo's recognition factor will continue to steadily improve while Iona and APU will plummet after their one and outs. VV Probably will not spike as sharply as those guys, but we will have improving exposure over a longer period --- just my guess. And yes, if we got an at-large and made it to the Round of 32, we' be up there with them or past them. Another contributing factor for the Iona and AP spikes could also be that Valpo actually might have a better recognition factor already among curious fans --- "the Shot" played over and over at every NCAAT and the fact that we got a lot of good publicity coming into the selection process. Not worth further discussion, but I am seeing many posters' opinion of the NIT's status improve as they see the games on TV or online. Crowds are pretty good and into it. As I mentioned very early on, the NIT should never be confused with those other alphabet play to play tournaments.

Quote from: a3uge on March 19, 2016, 04:22:42 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 08:30:35 AM

This is an older post, but it's not true:

Nothing beats having your name appear on a bracket and having thousands of people look up your school. You literally get more exposure as a 16 seed than being one of the last 4 out and playing deep in the NIT.

historyman

Quick---what were last years' 6 Sixteen seeds (including play-in losers) in the NCAA men's basketball tournament?

Just one of them?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on March 20, 2016, 02:08:56 PM
Quick---what were last years' 6 Sixteen seeds (including play-in losers) in the NCAA men's basketball tournament?

Just one of them?

North Florida? Vermont?

But who was in last year's NIT finals?

ValpoHoops

Stanford beat Miami.

Seems like one of those programs used the title game as a boost, while the other is currently searching for a coach.

I want to say Old Dominion and Temple were the other semi-finalists, but maybe I just need to watch less basketball...

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 20, 2016, 01:01:11 PMan't argue with statistics. Good call. However, it might be interesting to continue that graph through the NIT finals. I would suspect that Valpo's recognition factor will continue to steadily improve while Iona and APU will plummet after their one and outs. VV Probably will not spike as sharply as those guys, but we will have improving exposure over a longer period --- just my guess.

Might be good to look at "Valpo" too, but "Valparaiso" and "Valpo" are probably correlated.

I'm new to the google trends interface. Fun to play with! Looking quickly at Valpo, it had significant up ticks in two one-week periods last year, around the NCAA. A relative 100 (it normalizes) the week of the game, and a 48 the week before (March 8-14, 2015). Back to a 36 the week after, possibly consistent with the usual non-event affected range.

March 6-12, 2016 was a 47 on that same scale. March 13-19 lists as a 54, but it warns "partial data". If we win again, we'll see...

Looking over a broader range... you'd want to do some background subtraction, because the "normal" rate of searches on "Valpo" has tripled over the past ten years. (Not sure if that's just the rate of google searches increasing, or says something about Valpo.) But, the biggest-seeming one months spikes are... March 2004 (debatable? data seems to go back only to January 2004 so it's hard to get the context), March 2013, and March 2015. March 2016 (partial data; and OK, that would be any HL tourney attention, bubble watch, etc.) gets an 89 in the monthly view, relative to March 2015's 100.

It does seem that an NCAA appearance doubles our monthly average search hits for "Valpo". But, this year's events have also had a significant effect.

Those three peaks (March 2004, 2013, 2015) are maybe clearer in "Valparaiso", but this year's less so. Google will also try to tailor its results to your topic. For the university, the March 2004, 2013, and 2015 peaks are very clear, but not (yet?) 2016. For the basketball team the current peak is more significant than 2013, and an 81 (already?) compared to 2015's 100.

Interestingly, "Valpo" has sloped distinctly upward over the years, but the other searches I mention have a relatively flat background. Has the nickname become more ubiquitous?

Hard to know how these searches correlate with overall good things for the university. But, it's got to be some flavor of good, valuable, publicity.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on March 20, 2016, 02:55:23 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 20, 2016, 01:01:11 PMan't argue with statistics. Good call. However, it might be interesting to continue that graph through the NIT finals. I would suspect that Valpo's recognition factor will continue to steadily improve while Iona and APU will plummet after their one and outs. VV Probably will not spike as sharply as those guys, but we will have improving exposure over a longer period --- just my guess.

Might be good to look at "Valpo" too, but "Valparaiso" and "Valpo" are probably correlated.

I'm new to the google trends interface. Fun to play with! Looking quickly at Valpo, it had significant up ticks in two one-week periods last year, around the NCAA. A relative 100 (it normalizes) the week of the game, and a 48 the week before (March 8-14, 2015). Back to a 36 the week after, possibly consistent with the usual non-event affected range.

March 6-12, 2016 was a 47 on that same scale. March 13-19 lists as a 54, but it warns "partial data". If we win again, we'll see...

Looking over a broader range... you'd want to do some background subtraction, because the "normal" rate of searches on "Valpo" has tripled over the past ten years. (Not sure if that's just the rate of google searches increasing, or says something about Valpo.) But, the biggest-seeming one months spikes are... March 2004 (debatable? data seems to go back only to January 2004 so it's hard to get the context), March 2013, and March 2015. March 2016 (partial data; and OK, that would be any HL tourney attention, bubble watch, etc.) gets an 89 in the monthly view, relative to March 2015's 100.

It does seem that an NCAA appearance doubles our monthly average search hits for "Valpo". But, this year's events have also had a significant effect.

Those three peaks (March 2004, 2013, 2015) are maybe clearer in "Valparaiso", but this year's less so. Google will also try to tailor its results to your topic. For the university, the March 2004, 2013, and 2015 peaks are very clear, but not (yet?) 2016. For the basketball team the current peak is more significant than 2013, and an 81 (already?) compared to 2015's 100.

Interestingly, "Valpo" has sloped distinctly upward over the years, but the other searches I mention have a relatively flat background. Has the nickname become more ubiquitous?

Hard to know how these searches correlate with overall good things for the university. But, it's got to be some flavor of good, valuable, publicity.
I believe the 2004 uptick was actually in November - I think a student at Valparaiso high school was running around with a machete in school or something like that, and it made national news.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 20, 2016, 02:24:32 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 20, 2016, 02:08:56 PM

Just one of them?

North Florida? Vermont?

But who was in last year's NIT finals?

Hampton, Manhattan, North Florida, Robert Morris, Coastal Carolina & Lafayette.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 20, 2016, 03:08:53 PMI believe the 2004 uptick was actually in November - I think a student at Valparaiso high school was running around with a machete in school or something like that, and it made national news.

The March 2004 is 62, relative to March 2015's 100. The November peak is "only" 54.