• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

There is no way Valpo's football coach makes over $200K. For that pathetic football program? Seriously?

NativeCheesehead

Keep in mind the football program is non scholarship, so that's a hundred kids paying tuition. A former member of the athletic admin once told me the football program could go ten years without a win and it would still be a huge moneymaker for the university at large.

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 07, 2016, 01:14:43 PM
Keep in mind the football program is non scholarship, so that's a hundred kids paying tuition. A former member of the athletic admin once told me the football program could go ten years without a win and it would still be a huge moneymaker for the university at large.
Yeah, and since the team has no roster size limits, his job is to get people in the door to the university. The football team can account for 3 or $4 million in tuition alone per year, considering most of the team may not have gone to Valpo had it not offered a team.

usc4valpo

seriously, $200K + a year for Div. 3 football?

VULB#62

Where did that number suddenly come from?

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 07, 2016, 01:30:16 PM
Where did that number suddenly come from?
Yeah, did someone delete a post?

Vale O. Paradise

You can see the highest paid folks, academic, admin, and athletic, about midway through Valpo's last 990: http://207.153.189.83/EINS/350868125/350868125_2013_0b8e913e.PDF

crusader05

Doesn't bother me on a professional/practical level but on an emotional level I feel for the players if they read that. I'm sure many feel a bit blind-sided by this and this may not help. Although it might make the break for them with a new coach a bit easier

ValpoDad89

While I totally agree w/ you Crusader05, I must say this article tarnishes Bryce's rep just a smidgeon and makes his remarks at the end of the season a little more disingenuous. I will still root for him as in the end it's college basketball and it's big business and I think is far more repuatable than most in the grand scheme of things.

valpotx

I'm over Bryce, especially in reading that he did this while his team was playing their hearts out for him to earn a lot of money.  Next :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

ARCInsider

So, Bryce was reaching out about another job opportunity while still in his current job?  None of us would ever do that.  Shame on him.

crusader05

Bryce is not God. People are allowed to find some of his actions disappointing and have opinions that disagree with him. No one's burning him in effigy. It's okay for people who care about the program and the players, who rallied and supported the team through the NIT, to feel slightly chaffed to learn he was not only willing to leave, but actively seeking it while our season was still going on.

valpotx

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 07, 2016, 03:19:05 PM
So, Bryce was reaching out about another job opportunity while still in his current job?  None of us would ever do that.  Shame on him.

It's completely different when you have a long offseason just a few days away, and they were clearly waiting to talk to him anyways.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Context is everything and the media is terrible with context. This whole article seems a little out of sorts.  I am not saying it couldn't have happened, I just doubt it happened exactly this way.  It seems out of character for Bryce and I prefer to put the best construction on his advancement. My wife was in a position where she was regularly quoted in the paper and we would read what they wrote and wonder how in the H E double hockey sticks they came up with the article based on what she actually said.

I can hear the conversation now.

Dana: "Hey Bryce, did you hear that Stallings left Vanderbilt?"
Bryce: "That is a job I might really be interested in, gets Tara closer to Atlanta... so forth and so on"
Dana the agent to Fogler the consultant:  "I talked to my brother about the opening at Vanderbilt and he wants you to know that he would be interested in interviewing...."

What the Headlines read: Fogler: Bryce Drew courted Vanderbilt first
What Fogler actually said: "a third party contacted him on Drew's behalf to show interest in the job after Kevin Stallings left to become Pittsburgh's coach" and before Valparaiso finished its NIT run. The underlined portion was probably added by the reporter because it just doesn't sound like something a seasoned sports consultant would say because he should know better than to say it that way.

I don't have any problem with Dana contacting Vanderbilt if she knew that Bryce was or would be interested in the job. I doubt if it took away from the focus of our staff or team.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on April 07, 2016, 02:15:09 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/07/fogler-bryce-drew-courted-vanderbilt-first/82750960/

So this is cool - Bryce was actively seeking out Vanderbilt during our NIT run.

If he really had been looking at Vandy over the years, as I've been surprised to see TN reporting suggest (citing Drew family members), this wouldn't have to have been that big of a deal.

Bryce, his sister/agent, or anyone in his circle happens to notice Stallings leaving. Knowing that they won't approach Bryce during the NIT, Bryce's camp asks Vanderbilt to put a bookmark in for him. It's going to be on his mind, sure. But it's not like he flew from NY between games to interview.

(That is to say, "Yeah, what FW said.")

It does make you wonder, if he showed them such strong interest, what would his compensation package look like if they were twisting his arm?

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on April 07, 2016, 03:24:02 PM

It's completely different when you have a long offseason just a few days away, and they were clearly waiting to talk to him anyways.

I dunno - some schools moved quickly, jobs were already coming off the table. If he'd already identified the job as "very special", can't blame him for putting in a bookmark.

ARCInsider

Quote from: agibson on April 08, 2016, 08:38:10 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 07, 2016, 03:24:02 PM

agibson nailed it.

We should be proud that we have a program that is of such quality that the Big 12 and SEC wants our coaches.  I'm a bit sad to see Bryce go and this era end, but frankly I think Lottich is going to take us to new heights.

I dunno - some schools moved quickly, jobs were already coming off the table. If he'd already identified the job as "very special", can't blame him for putting in a bookmark.

M

I would imagine his sister/agent knew how interested an opening at Vanderbilt would be to him and probably contacted them on his behalf. 

ValpoDad89

That Georgia Tech handling seemed like a cluster you know what. Think Bryce used the leverage of the interview with them to improve his positioning with Vandy. If he wa left with Valpo or GT, I think we have Bruce, I mean Bryce for one more year. In the end they went with Josh Pastner who took it because he was one step of the Memphis AD from firing him this time next year.

M

Looks like he snatched up Diebler.

valpotx

Yep, both Diebler and Powell confirmed to Vandy.  It looks like those flights were Bryce's private jet.  I wonder how often he gets to use that plane?  The only cool thing about this for Valpo is that it continues to grow the Valpo connections coaching tree.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Bet Diebler got a nice pay raise. I doubt if he will be the "video coordinator" like he was at Ohio State.
QuoteDiebler has spent the last threeyears with the OSU program, after coming on as video coordinator in 2013.

Prior to his time at Ohio State, he spent four years at Valporaiso on their coaching staff, following his career at the school as a player.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

humbleopinion

Quote from: FWalum on April 09, 2016, 09:03:41 AM
Bet Diebler got a nice pay raise. I doubt if he will be the "video coordinator" like he was at Ohio State.
QuoteDiebler has spent the last threeyears with the OSU program, after coming on as video coordinator in 2013.

Prior to his time at Ohio State, he spent four years at Valporaiso on their coaching staff, following his career at the school as a player.

Do you suppose that Jon Diebler has promised to follow?
Beamin' Beacons