• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

valpo84

Oh covufan, you have inspired me with my 5 minute rewrite:

A player walks down a court
It's a court in a strange world
Maybe it's the Strange D1
Maybe it's his first time around
He doesn't speak the language
He cannot pick and roll
He is a foreign player
He is surrounded by the sound
The sound
BatCow in the Student Section
MidMajors and Jucos
He looks around, around
He sees dollar signs in the backboards
Spinning in infinity
He says Amen! and Hallelujah!

If you'll be my shooting guard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you David
And David when you call me
You can call me Coach Vitale
Call me Coach Vitale
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: agibson on May 06, 2016, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: ValpoDad89 on May 06, 2016, 10:16:46 AMhttp://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/skara-s-transfer-appeal-to-be-heard/article_751264f2-d18c-5dc0-a952-c987f3907753.html

Yeah, I bet the door's still open. It'd be awkward, of course. But, I bet the door's still open. That may change depending on our recruiting situation, of course.

If someone leaves on good terms for an opportunity to play for a higher profile program and subsequently changes their mind, allowing him to return might be appropriate thing to do. Unfortunately, that's not what we're dealing with here. The reality is David quit on his teammates, his coaches, his program and his university, and allowed himself to be used as extortion bait for a power play that failed miserably. I think it would be a huge risk bringing him back (if he's even interested). It's time for David to move on.

nkvu

This is so sad. Skara could have been a major contributor to a team with a good chance at a conference championship, a conference tournament championship and a realistic shot at winning a game or two in the dance all assuming Peters and Carter play for Valpo next season. Now he has to sit out a year somewhere and maybe just be a role player at best and at worst a practice/mop up player at a power 5 school. All over a power play by a prep school program that wanted to jam one of their guys down the new coach's throat.

Oh, and I will lose a lot of respect for my alma mater if they cave and allow him to go to Vandy. You have a responsibility to protect your program, Valpo. Skara has more than 300 schools he could go to, not to mention the power 5 conference teams that have allegedly offered him according to his - what do we call him - Mentor? Agent? Controller? Svengali?

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on May 06, 2016, 11:01:16 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on May 06, 2016, 09:33:00 AMhe can call me

When I was first reading this, all I got was this thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA

One question. Betty=Skara?

ValpoDad89

Nkvu, I'm liking Svengali. I really am.

frontrowfan

I've been sitting back and waiting to weigh in on the Skara issue.  I just have to remind us all about the challenges that David is facing if he bucks his "handlers".  There are cultural and social implications at stake for him that are far beyond basketball at the collegiate level or professionally in Europe.  He will be virtually be a pariah in the social network of Croations here in the US and possibly in his own country if he backs down and comes back to Valpo without the "consent" of his "agents".  All in all a bad situation and one that we haven't had to face at Valpo but other programs have. 

VULB#62

That's the problem. The poor kid is caught in a crossfire that no kid should be caught in.  I don't think there is a single person on this board that wishes David ill will.  I loved the way that he played for VU and I think he was a good student and citizen.  The coaches liked him and wanted him to continue his progression.  But then politics came into play and David went from player to pawn.  And now, as you state, he can't back down, nor can VU.  Sad state of affairs.  Wherever he winds up, I truly wish the kid well. 

StlVUFan

I also thinking being a Croatian in America is *fundamentally* different than being a Texan in Northwest Indiana (looking at you valpotx).  In fact it is exponentially more challenging.

usc4valpo

BTW, where has Skara transferred to?

vu72

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 09, 2016, 07:46:51 PM
I also thinking being a Croatian in America is *fundamentally* different than being a Texan in Northwest Indiana (looking at you valpotx).  In fact it is exponentially more challenging.

Pretty sure he was joking and at that, it was pretty funny!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2016, 09:14:37 AM

Yes, I was being smarmy about it being the exact same thing.  Stl must have been looking at one of the many Greg Kampe posters on his bedroom ceiling, and thus, was not focused enough to catch the sarcasm ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 09, 2016, 11:42:55 PM
I think we are still waiting for the results of the transfer hearing.  Quote from a previous article:

"Several high majors have already offered him," Maravilla said. "David came to Valparaiso because of Bryce Drew. Now David is an experienced guy. He's not naïve. He recognizes where he's at and where he can go. The fact that high majors have reached out to him, that validates what he did. He can go two levels higher than the Horizon League."

Another quote:

"Other schools on Skara's list include Clemson, Georgia Tech, Texas Christian, Richmond and Colorado."

I've only seen a visit to Richmond, but it is only May. 

vu72

Quote from: covufan on May 10, 2016, 10:10:34 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on May 09, 2016, 11:42:55 PM
I think we are still waiting for the results of the transfer hearing.  Quote from a previous article:

"Several high majors have already offered him," Maravilla said. "David came to Valparaiso because of Bryce Drew. Now David is an experienced guy. He's not naïve. He recognizes where he's at and where he can go. The fact that high majors have reached out to him, that validates what he did. He can go two levels higher than the Horizon League."

Another quote:

"Other schools on Skara's list include Clemson, Georgia Tech, Texas Christian, Richmond and Colorado."

I've only seen a visit to Richmond, but it is only May. 

This is pretty funny actually.  There is no doubt Skara could get playing time at all of these schools.  As for being two level higher? Sure, the best/better teams in these conferences may be two levels better, but these schools aren't among those.

When you look at the season ending Sagarin rankings, Skara practiced with/played on a team ranked higher than all of them.  Four teams, in an off year Horizon League, were ranked higher then TCU!  If getting clobbered by Kansas and Oklahoma and Baylor are going to make you better, then TCU would be a great fit for David.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on May 10, 2016, 10:05:11 AM
Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2016, 09:14:37 AM

Yes, I was being smarmy about it being the exact same thing.  Stl must have been looking at one of the many Greg Kampe posters on his bedroom ceiling, and thus, was not focused enough to catch the sarcasm ;).

VULB#62

[tweet]730118587235577856[/tweet]
[tweet]730118270242717696[/tweet]
[tweet]730117902108610560[/tweet]

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 10, 2016, 03:31:01 PM
[tweet]730118587235577856[/tweet]

IMHO, the best thing that could happen is for Skara to be granted the opportunity to talk to Vanderbilt.  Skara is then counseled by Bryce and Roger, in as nice a way as possible, and suggest to David that while he is a great talent, that Vandy does not have room at the PF/SF positions.  Further, they suggest that he does not need any handling, except those that have coached and had his best interests the last two years, and that his best opportunity is to return to Valpo, get some increased playing time and his degree. 

78crusader

I will BET THE FARM that President Heckler allows Skara to go to Vandy.

Paul

VULB#62

I think President Heckler was consulted on the initial decision.  To reverse that decision would throw  both Matt and ML under the bus.

Chairback

I have to assume that someone at Vandy has already reached out to David's handlers if they are pushing it so hard.

With the drama that is now associated with Skara, I wonder if schools stay away knowing the baggage that comes with him.

valpospartan

As much of a fan of Bryce and his family I am, I will be extremely disappointed if DS lands at Vandy. 

nkvu

Quote from: valpospartan on May 10, 2016, 10:32:39 PM
As much of a fan of Bryce and his family I am, I will be extremely disappointed if DS lands at Vandy. 

My respect and appreciation for Bryce as a player and coach at Valpo is total. However if DS lands at Vandy much of my future respect for Bryce will dissipate. He will have become just another big time coach who values winning over everything including benefiting from a sleazy attempted power play perpetrated against his alma mater and former employer. I truely hope that doesn't come to pass. I truely believe and hope he shows more class than that. And DS ends up the loser in my mind no matter where he lands. Sad.

VU2014

I wouldn't be outraged if Bryce took Skara if the Heckler reversed ML's decision. Bryce is getting paid $2.7M to WIN. If Bryce didn't make a back-door deal with Maravilla or speak to Maravilla before the appeal got resolved (I'm willing to bet Maravilla has already talked to Bryce or Rodger, behind closed doors). Bryce doesn't work here anymore. If he thinks Skara can help him win and make an impact on his team then whatever. It would definitely irk me to lose a player to our old coach but I wouldn't lose respect for Bryce. We all need to get over Bryce. It's over. Let it go. On a side note I think Heckler will allow to talk to Bryce. He concerned more with the PR optics and the Students feelings then the state of the basketball program. I don't understand the point of the appeals committee if the decision comes down to Hecklers approval.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on May 11, 2016, 11:46:28 AMI don't understand the point of the appeals committee if the decision comes down to Hecklers approval.

Heckler's involvement did surprise me, as well. Probably partially just for not being mentioned in the original reports.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2014 on May 11, 2016, 11:46:28 AM
I wouldn't be outraged if Bryce took Skara if the Heckler reversed ML's decision. Bryce is getting paid $2.7M to WIN. If Bryce didn't make a back-door deal with Maravilla or speak to Maravilla before the appeal got resolved (I'm willing to bet Maravilla has already talked to Bryce or Rodger, behind closed doors). Bryce doesn't work here anymore. If he thinks Skara can help him win and make an impact on his team then whatever. It would definitely irk me to lose a player to our old coach but I wouldn't lose respect for Bryce. We all need to get over Bryce. It's over. Let it go. On a side note I think Heckler will allow to talk to Bryce. He concerned more with the PR optics and the Students feelings then the state of the basketball program. I don't understand the point of the appeals committee if the decision comes down to Hecklers approval.
Excuse me, but what?  He didn't make a back door deal but already talked to Maravilla (this is the definition of backdoor). As I have said several times, taking a player from your former job is as low as you can go.

My guess, the appeal is approved and he signs with Vandy within 3 days. But as my friend bbtds says I hope I am wrong.