• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

There are much lower things that you could do as a coach. Cough cough: Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Penn State, USC, SMU, UNLV, any John Calipari team. This is definitely a unique situation with Skara I will admit.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VU2014 on May 11, 2016, 12:56:04 PM
There are much lower things that you could do as a coach. Cough cough: Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Penn State, USC, SMU, UNLV, any John Calipari team. This is definitely a unique situation with Skara I will admit.
Point taken!!

wh

A good CEO has to have the backs of his senior leaders when they make important decisions on behalf of the organization. I think mh would have to believe that ml made an egregious error before he overturned the decision to exclude Vandy. I think it's highly unlikely that mh will consider this egregious, nor should he.

agibson

Quote from: wh on May 11, 2016, 02:05:11 PM
A good CEO has to have the backs of his senior leaders when they make important decisions on behalf of the organization. I think mh would have to believe that ml made an egregious error before he overturned the decision to exclude Vandy. I think it's highly unlikely that mh will consider this egregious, nor should he.

The tougher spot would be if the faculty panel granted the appeal/overturned ml. Then mh could be seen as breaking the tie. Might effectively have to rule on the merits.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on May 05, 2016, 09:09:02 PMPeople will respond to me that he is in another country.  Well, that's pretty much what it felt like to me ;)

Sarcasm usually contains at least a hint of sincerity behind it, and it's that hint of sincerity that I was responding to.  Your whole post sounded like you were trying to make a serious point.  If you mixed in a bit of fake outrage at the end, then yeah, I missed it. :crazy:

I *did* see the wink smiley, but that didn't cause me to flip the whole script on what you were trying to say.  I took it as "I'm exaggerating a little here at the end, but otherwise, you get the idea."

valpotx

Oh, I think that he needs to grow a pair, that part was serious.  However, that last part was definitely being sarcastic, which is why I put a winky face.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 11, 2016, 09:49:19 PM
Skara Clemson visit
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article76988812.html

They don't say it explicitly, but they way they write they leave the reader to assume that some kind of window closes May 16.

*shrug* We've certainly signed players later than that, but I have little idea of the various sets of rules that might be involved.

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on May 10, 2016, 06:14:04 PM
I will BET THE FARM that President Heckler allows Skara to go to Vandy.

Paul

You didn't really like that farm did you?   ;)   Paul Oren reporting Skara's appeal has been denied.

Paul Oren ‏@NWIOren  9h9 hours ago
Multiple sources confirm that David Skara has lost his appeal to have Vanderbilt transfer restriction dropped. #HLMBB
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Glad to hear it.  Don't cave to a situation that was not our doing, but rather his handlers. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

This is what I was hoping would be done. Nothing against David but precedent has been set w/ others and that is Coach's new school and Conference members are off-limits. Sounds like he has some good opportunities out there.

usc4valpo

If you include USC on the list, then add Notre Dame, Florida St., Alabama, Duke, and pretty much all major Division I schools.

USC got screwed over by the NCAA but did not adequately fight.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 19, 2016, 12:11:56 PM
If you include USC on the list, then add Notre Dame, Florida St., Alabama, Duke, and pretty much all major Division I schools.

USC got screwed over by the NCAA but did not adequately fight.

I apologize if I missed something but what list, that you are now adding USC, ND, FSU, AL, Duke and pretty much all major Div 1 schools to, are you referring to?

usc4valpo

Let's just say there are skeletons in every closet at every school. 

valpotx

It's a completely different set of circumstances if you fire a coach, versus the coach leaving you.  This guy has no clue...

If Bryce was truly 'steamed' about how this was handled, it just lends further credence that he has been talking to Skara's handlers, to try and get him to appeal the decision.  I don't know why he would have the right to be steamed, if he left us, and not the other way around.  Are we supposed to just completely start over, and let our best players help him win elsewhere?  If he thinks this way, I will cherish the time we had with Bryce, but will get over him much faster than I thought that I would.
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

This guy....you have to put some boots on if you're going to tread through one of his opinion pieces.

VU2624

If Drew thought that he was going to go to Vandy and bring player(s) from Valpo with him he should have re thought things a second or two.

I can't believe he's that stupid.

VU2014

Mike Hutton isn't going to bite the hand that feeds him (Dave Maravilla). Hutton knows that the 99% of his readership won't care to know or be interested to find out the whole story by themselves so he knows he can get away with writing a hit piece. He knows damn well the whole story of Vucic and Maravilla trying to force his way onto the coaching staff. That's a pretty important part of the story that he refuses to write about. Also I find it hilarious that Hutton uses John Calipari as an example of "Class" in his argument. Everywhere he has left the team has come under NCAA recruiting violations. He is pretty much a used car salesman who pays the one-and-dones for a year and is the bridge to the NBA. Calipari isn't someone I would hold up as the model coach for colligate athletics.

Also the comment about Bryce being "steamed" about the whole situation leads me to believe that I was right in my speculation that Bryce/Rodger have been in contact with Maravilla the whole time. Not that surprising. Also I don't understand why Bryce has the right to be mad in this situation. Must have been an awkward visit back "home" for him for graduation. Curious as to if he ran into ML? And what may have been said. Would love to be a fly on the wall. Bryce couldn't be mad at Lottich or Gore. From what I've heard the Skara non-Vandy transfer decision was completely ML's, as it should be because he is the head man of the athletics department and any decision would have set precedents for all athletics.

VU2014

Wow. What a joke. Coming from sleazy program that hides itself behind a religious school to funnel players in and out like livestock to groom Maravilla's client list if they end up growing pro. Don Bosco Prep Hoops and Dave Maravilla (along with many of these of prep "academic" institutions) should be under investigation by the NCAA for their business practices.

https://twitter.com/DonBoscoHoops/status/734193517623316481

wh

Another poorly written, 1-sided account. Talks to Maravila the clownmaster, but makes no mention of having tried to contact ml or mh for their side of the story.  He notes that 2 sources told him that Bryce was steamed. Could it be that his "sources" are Maravilla and Vuich?  And, that's assuming he actually has "sources."

agibson

I guess Hutton writes opinion pieces. But, it does seem pretty one-sided. Not one of his examples really seems parallel to the Bryce/Skara case.

IndyValpo

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 21, 2016, 08:09:06 PM
Hutton: Valparaiso shouldn't block transfers from men's basketball program

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0522-20160521-story.html

:crazy:
You just have to laugh at this "journalist". Even giving him a pass on the Jeter angle (fired is a different story) and the Kentucky story (where the guy was not going to contribute) the Siena story is not even correct. The coach in question is an assistant at Fairfield. So the closet thing he had to compare is not correct. It took me 2 minutes to research this. How does this moron have a job?

If Drew looks bad, it is on him. He could have easily stopped this.

usc4valpo

the guy works for the Post-Tribune. In all reality, how many people will read his work and take it seriously?

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 22, 2016, 07:18:42 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on May 21, 2016, 08:09:06 PM
Hutton: Valparaiso shouldn't block transfers from men's basketball program

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0522-20160521-story.html

:crazy:
You just have to laugh at this "journalist". Even giving him a pass on the Jeter angle (fired is a different story) and the Kentucky story (where the guy was not going to contribute) the Siena story is not even correct. The coach in question is an assistant at Fairfield. So the closet thing he had to compare is not correct. It took me 2 minutes to research this. How does this moron have a job?

If Drew looks bad, it is on him. He could have easily stopped this.

But it is unlike Bryce to say much on anything. His quick departure without much of a statement about Valpo to the Valpo faithful and the aftermath just leaves so much in terms of the unknown.