• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Thoughts? Clearly not the case in Skara's case but still interesting. When you look at the insane amount of transfers around college basketball and I can't help but shake my head because you can tell a lot of these kids may strongly regret it down the road. These players need to be mature enough to look at the grand scheme of things.

The transfer epidemic is directly related to the rise of social media

One of the biggest issues in college basketball right now is the amount of kids who are leaving schools on an annual basis and that's directly related to the rise of Twitter over the last 5-7 years.

Like everyone in this world, college athletes have an ego and part of the reason why they're so prone to make a change in where they're playing college basketball is due to the enjoyment they receive when their name is constantly posted across a social media platform.

Fighting through adversity and building calluses through life experience is something that's a thing of the past and that's reiterated by the way players change programs at the grassroots level prior to ever stepping foot on a college campus.

But there's also no doubt that the attention that comes with being a transfer at the Division I level augments the desire of a kid to make a change -- especially if he's going to be immediately eligible for next season.

The rules don't make much sense, but they are what they are.

And the fact that programs can add players without them having to sit out because they're a college graduate makes the players who fit that criteria part of a special fraternity that is starting to feel like a watered down version of NBA free agency.

Assistant coaches from all over the country put lists together all season of guys who can potentially be eligible for the next year without sitting out and those players -- who normally boast marginal statistics -- become a viral name on social media for a month to six weeks before they make a decision.

Part of it is because they can help a team.

Part of it is because they're part of a select circle who can actually play immediately without sitting out.

But most of it is due to the fact that they enjoy the attention that comes with being re-recruited after spending the last few seasons as an ancillary piece to the puzzle at a program that might have been off-the-radar in terms of the national landscape.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25574372/observations-cal-can-be-even-more-complete-dynamic-in-2016-17

crusader05

While I wouldn't blame it on social media what I would say social media has done is create a dynamic where Players feel more power in the system.  there have been a lot of critical things said about the NCAA and the money it and some schools makes. We've seen players be stripped of titles and eligibility and coaches move on to another school and multi million dollar contract. I think social media created a place where players could start to feel more empowered and create a bit of a balance in that.

We may not always like it but when the NCAA and some schools treat the players as athletes first we shouldn't be offended when the players do so as well and work to flex their power where they can. As we saw with Syracuse, The big programs, with the big money, will always be able to do things other programs won't and if we're going to run it like a business I don't blame the players for treating it like one as well.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

Mike Hutton reporting that Skara has been given chance to appeal the restriction on transferring to Vandy. He'd like to talk to Bryce and Roger.  The non-athletic department 5 person appeal board needs to summarily reject that appeal.  Do not support this bad decision by David and his entourage of fools.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

On the other hand, he does have to sit out a season. By that time, a lot of water will have gone over the dam and a lot of 4* recruits will have come through the door.  If he would go there, my guess is that he will be nothing more than a role player.  From a PR standpoint could it be better to remove that restriction?

valpotx

Reject that appeal 100%.  There are plenty of teams he can transfer to, and if we are to believe what the unethical handlers are telling people, he 'has multiple Power 5 teams interested.'  I do not feel bad for him as much as I did at first, past the fact that he has been given terrible information.  I wasn't in a foreign country when I played at Valpo, but if I was, I would never get caught up in being pressured to leave a school I enjoy.  He can find another agent post-college, unless there is some type of promise that he gave to his handlers upon coming to the US, in which case he is caught up in something that is even more unethical than originally thought.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

This is the lead tweet to a series of about 6 tweets about the appeals process and Mark's take on it.The NCAA provides for that appeals process.

[tweet]728063696681971712[/tweet]

I particularly like this comment.

[tweet]728072419995320322[/tweet]

Looks like Valpo will dig in their heels on this one.  As you said TX there are over 300 other D-I schools to choose from.

VU2014

New Article in the Tribune.

David Skara to appeal Valparaiso decision to block him from Vanderbilt

By: Mike Hutton

Former Valparaiso University forward David Skara hopes he has the chance to at least talk with the Vanderbilt coaching staff about playing there.

On Wednesday, Skara said he will appeal the decision by a Valparaiso faculty committee not to grant him permission to transfer to Vanderbilt. Former VU coach Bryce Drew left to coach at Vanderbilt last month.

"I definitely want to talk to coach Drew and (assistant) coach (Roger) Powell to see if they are interested," Skara said. "I'd like to see if that is a possibility."

VU granted the 6-foot-8 sophomore forward his release on April 19, but restricted him from transferring to play basketball in the Horizon League and at Vanderbilt.

Valparaiso athletic director Mark LaBarbera said that Skara was blocked from Vanderbilt because VU doesn't want a mass exodus of players following the former Crusaders coaches. Powell, Drew's top assistant at VU, also is now at Vanderbilt.

"The reason Vanderbilt is on the list is because our basketball program is important to us," LaBarbera said. "It's an important part of our history. We have a lot invested in it. We are happy that our players have other opportunities. We feel like if a coach is successful, if he leaves, he shouldn't take players with him."

LaBarbera acknowledged that it's natural for Skara to want to play for the coach who recruited him, but noted that 340 other schools are options.

Skara, who averaged 6.5 points and 3.1 rebounds, asked LaBarbera on Monday to reconsider the decision.

The athletic department advised Skara on Tuesday that he could appeal the decision.

LaBarbera said a five-person panel that is independent of the athletic department will hear the case. He said this will be the first time the school will hear an appeal and plans to expedite it for Skara's sake.

"We want to be fair to him," LaBarbera said.

Skara said the last couple of weeks have been difficult.

"There has been pressure from around campus — coaches and everything," he said. "Most of the students support me. Some say, 'I don't like you anymore,' but not many."

Skara said the departure of Drew was the reason why he decided to transfer.

"The coaching change was a trigger for everything," Skara said. "With the new coach coming up, I think I could go somewhere else and challenge myself with better competition."

Other schools on Skara's list include Clemson, Georgia Tech, Texas Christian, Richmond and Colorado.

Skara said the decision to leave wasn't easy.

"It's always difficult to leave somewhere you've been for two years," he said, "but I'm confident this is right for me."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-david-skara-st-0505-20160504-story.html

covufan

VU2014

I'm wondering if Bryce made an under the table deal with David Maravilla (Don Bosco) when he initially got recruited. Skara/Maravilla seem to be putting all their eggs in the Vanderbilt basket. Maybe Bryce is indebted to Maravilla or something, complete speculation on my part. It's just so shady.

IndyValpo

The person who stinks in this process is Bryce Drew.  You expect AAU guys to be sleazy. They did not disappoint. A former coach, however, is a different matter.  Major loss of respect here. 

I like Skara's game but lets be honest he is not going to suddenly make Vandy a power. He was a good role player for us; hard to extrapolate that much higher than somewhere else.

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on May 05, 2016, 09:47:32 AM
New Article in the Tribune.

David Skara to appeal Valparaiso decision to block him from Vanderbilt

By: Mike Hutton

Former Valparaiso University forward David Skara hopes he has the chance to at least talk with the Vanderbilt coaching staff about playing there.

On Wednesday, Skara said he will appeal the decision by a Valparaiso faculty committee not to grant him permission to transfer to Vanderbilt. Former VU coach Bryce Drew left to coach at Vanderbilt last month.

"I definitely want to talk to coach Drew and (assistant) coach (Roger) Powell to see if they are interested," Skara said. "I'd like to see if that is a possibility."

VU granted the 6-foot-8 sophomore forward his release on April 19, but restricted him from transferring to play basketball in the Horizon League and at Vanderbilt.

Valparaiso athletic director Mark LaBarbera said that Skara was blocked from Vanderbilt because VU doesn't want a mass exodus of players following the former Crusaders coaches. Powell, Drew's top assistant at VU, also is now at Vanderbilt.

"The reason Vanderbilt is on the list is because our basketball program is important to us," LaBarbera said. "It's an important part of our history. We have a lot invested in it. We are happy that our players have other opportunities. We feel like if a coach is successful, if he leaves, he shouldn't take players with him."

LaBarbera acknowledged that it's natural for Skara to want to play for the coach who recruited him, but noted that 340 other schools are options.

Skara, who averaged 6.5 points and 3.1 rebounds, asked LaBarbera on Monday to reconsider the decision.

The athletic department advised Skara on Tuesday that he could appeal the decision.

LaBarbera said a five-person panel that is independent of the athletic department will hear the case. He said this will be the first time the school will hear an appeal and plans to expedite it for Skara's sake.

"We want to be fair to him," LaBarbera said.

Skara said the last couple of weeks have been difficult.

"There has been pressure from around campus — coaches and everything," he said. "Most of the students support me. Some say, 'I don't like you anymore,' but not many."

Skara said the departure of Drew was the reason why he decided to transfer.

"The coaching change was a trigger for everything," Skara said. "With the new coach coming up, I think I could go somewhere else and challenge myself with better competition."

Other schools on Skara's list include Clemson, Georgia Tech, Texas Christian, Richmond and Colorado.

Skara said the decision to leave wasn't easy.

"It's always difficult to leave somewhere you've been for two years," he said, "but I'm confident this is right for me."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-david-skara-st-0505-20160504-story.html
I understand David's desire to transfer to Vanderbilt.  I hope that the process is fair.  I agree with ml, that our athletic department needs to protect the men's BB program.  I'm not even sure that Vanderbilt would want him.  According to Verbal Commits, Vandy's average player is 3.2*.  At the PF and SF positions, even with Damian Jones going pro, I think Vandy has some quality players, so I'm not sure he would get much playing time in two years.  Vandy's needs appear to be PG and C. 

I wish him well, just hope it is not at Vanderbilt.

VULB#62

covufan, that's a major point which I also mentioned.  Bryce is now competing for 3+* and 4* (maybe some 5*) players at all positions and he'll welcome a Vandy class of his own next season while David rides the pine waiting to become eligible.  If he wins the appeal, and if BD offers him, he might wind up in two years seeing mop-up minutes.  If BD was going to offer a transfer, I'd assume it would be Alec because he's an immediate addition and as a grad transfer, VU will not stand in his way.

NativeCheesehead

Another Hutton article with nary a mention of Maravilla and his role. You can't discuss this situation without discussing all the factors involved.

VULB#62

It does appear that Hutton is Maravilla's mouthpiece.  I find that odd in that Mike Osipoff is the Trib ValpoBB beat writer and he has remained relatively quiet on the matter.  Hutton never covers our games  nor does he have a insider relationship with the athletic department or coaches to my knowledge.

VU2014

I find it hilarious that, Mike Hutton's article has being petitioned to "talk" to Bryce. I'm calling BS that Maravilla hasn't already been in contact with Bryce/Roger through back channels. I think Skara is good enough to be a bench role player at Vandy. But I think if I'm Bryce I'd rather try and sign and develop a young player on my roster rather then give Skara a scholarship and who also has to sit out a season.

As for David, saying, "There has been pressure from around campus — coaches and everything," he said. "Most of the students support me. Some say, 'I don't like you anymore,' but not many." I'm a recent grad and have plenty of friends still on campus and I've talked to a few friends who are in class with David and they said it was awkward the first couple days after the transfer news and the whole mess with Maravilla but NO student on campus would ever say, "I don't like you anymore." Thats Maravilla telling Skara how to spin the media narrative. They said there hasn't been any tension as far as they can tell with any students on Campus. Valpo is a very different student body then most schools. I'm sure its a little awkward for Skara though, because he has pretty much cut off friendships and father/mentor like relationships completely with Lottich and Gore. Apparently Maravilla told him he can't talk to coach and hasn't talked to them at all and avoids the ARC.

I get why he is putting his faith/post collegiate career in Maravilla's hands, but its never good to burn bridges down to the ground the way he has.

agibson

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 05, 2016, 10:16:43 AMThe person who stinks in this process is Bryce Drew.

I suppose he does have a chance here to come out publicly, and be beyond any appearance of impropriety.  Bryce could just say, "We're not going to recruit Skara (or any VU non-grads), we're not going to offer him a scholarship." But, stating that publicly (maybe they could reach out to Skara privately, but not officially I guess...) doesn't seem very Bryce-like. And, if he _does_ get the chance to consider Vanderbilt, if his appeal succeeds, it would seem possibly consistent with Bryce's competitive nature to at least consider him (why let him go to a competitor?).

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on May 05, 2016, 11:26:18 AMAs for David, saying, "There has been pressure from around campus — coaches and everything," he said. "Most of the students support me. Some say, 'I don't like you anymore,' but not many." I'm a recent grad and have plenty of friends still on campus and I've talked to a few friends who are in class with David and they said it was awkward the first couple days after the transfer news and the whole mess with Maravilla but NO student on campus would ever say, "I don't like you anymore."

I figured it was a paraphrase. At least David paraphrasing the students, and maybe filtering through Croatian. And maybe the writer paraphrasing David.

That David may feel like some students have distanced themselves from him. It's got to be awkward, at least.

agibson

Not to pick on a guy who may just not be a big smiler in the first place (am I anyway? you tell me). But, his expression in this photo is pretty amusing. He looks delighted, post-VU!

[tweet]728002070628929536[/tweet]

VU2014

Seems on twitter that all the Vandy fans are pushing/hoping for Skara to overturn the appeal.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on May 05, 2016, 11:40:18 AM
I suppose he [BD] does have a chance here to come out publicly, and be beyond any appearance of impropriety.  ............. [come out publicly] doesn't seem very Bryce-like.

He has always been pretty close-lipped about everything.  We're not going to see a Bryce 2.0 who is suddenly open and communicative.

He will do whatever he has to do to get an edge for his program (e.g., rescind a scholarship to Daniel Relvao when Vashil became available for this past season).

covufan

I've been rereading this:

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/the-servant-of-two-masters/article_9b8322d0-07ef-11e6-a241-f74cbb5d6508.html

"Several high majors have already offered him," Maravilla said. "David came to Valparaiso because of Bryce Drew. Now David is an experienced guy. He's not naïve. He recognizes where he's at and where he can go. The fact that high majors have reached out to him, that validates what he did. He can go two levels higher than the Horizon League."

From today's Hutton article:

"Other schools on Skara's list include Clemson, Georgia Tech, Texas Christian, Richmond and Colorado."

So far, I've only seen in print a scheduled trip to Richmond.  If these other schools have offered, I'd say he is in good shape and doesn't need to talk to Vanderbilt.  Again, if I were him, I'd look at the Vanderbilt roster, who they have coming in at the PF/SF positions, and conclude there may not be room for me in the future. 

To get anywhere near the playing time as he would have expected next year at Valpo, he will need to transfer to a league similar to the HL.

This has all been very strange. 

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

78crusader

This is a serious question from a 59 year old lawyer who is too busy to follow all of this stuff, but what is Don Bosco Prep anyway?  Is it a high school?  Or what?  I read about it on this board and I really don't know what the heck it is.

Paul

wh

I totally support ml's stand and the reasons he gave for it. 

I am concerned, however, that a group of non-athletic faculty members may have a more myopic view - "What's the big deal?"  "Would it really hurt Valpo if he transfers to Vandy - he's gone either way."  "Why should we make the poor kid pay for bad advice he got from some adult knucklehead"?  "Shouldn't the interests of our students come before our own organizational self interest?"  Blah, blah, blah...