• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

wh

Holy Cow! I look away for a couple of hours to get some work done, and the whole world changes.  I won't let that happen again! :)

swiftmutiny

This has been a truly wild off-season. :crazy:

bbtds

Wildcat my @ss!

I knew talking to him wouldn't hurt. (just kidding)

valpo64

I hope a few posters on this board have learned a little at least.  But I suppose someone will find something wrong with  JFL's return to the fold.  It should also enlighten some folks about the problems  a few guys caused last season and the job Matt L has done in regrouping the troops and overcome some major roadblocks last year.  Enough of the negative!  It appears that ML was a better coach than many thought, especially in the manner in which he handled the personnel problems of last season. Welcome back Javon!  GO VALPO!

VUGrad1314

Freeman essentially takes Bradford's scholarship. I call that a huge win! My excitement is returning!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo64 on May 02, 2019, 03:53:36 PM
I hope a few posters on this board have learned a little at least.  But I suppose someone will find something wrong with  JFL's return to the fold.  It should also enlighten some folks about the problems  a few guys caused last season and the job Matt L has done in regrouping the troops and overcome some major roadblocks last year.  Enough of the negative!  It appears that ML was a better coach than many thought, especially in the manner in which he handled the personnel problems of last season. Welcome back Javon!  GO VALPO!

I was going to root on Valpo regardless of the outcome, but I have to say that so little of what took place since March 15th has anything to do with his coaching ability.  He still has to have the players he puts on the court execute and win.

He's still largely not proven he can win.  I'm excited for 2019 again though...boy it was rough sitting on the side line as this thing unfolded.  Until a couple weeks ago we were a side show...now we are just a 9th place team with a breath of fresh air.

FWalum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 02, 2019, 04:31:49 PMHe's still largely not proven he can win.  I'm excited for 2019 again though...boy it was rough sitting on the side line as this thing unfolded.  Until a couple weeks ago we were a side show...now we are just a 9th place team with a breath of fresh air.

Not really picking on FieldGoodie05's comment because many others have said the same thing, but why does everyone dismiss Matt's first year at the helm.  In my mind winning 24 games and only loosing 9 after thinking we would potentially have Carter back, the mess with Skara, the loss of Jubril and then the coup de gras with the injury to Alec, was a pretty good indicator that with the right type of players the guy can coach. Frankly, if Alec doesn't go down he has the potential to have as good a season as Bryce had the year before, even after the Jubril debacle. Don't come back and say that anybody could have coached that team because if that were true then Bryce is not the coaching savant we have made him out to be. Maybe Bryce is a great recruiter, but then I guess we will find out what kind of evaluator and recruiter Matt is with this new group.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

elephtheria47

Wow. Great news. I like Freeman, a lot. Hes a baller. This is gonna be a fun season.

ML did a great job retooling the team. When you're bad, which we were, gotta make changes, and he did. He now has a lot of his players that he recruited to run his system, and guys who dont want to be here arent. We have talent. We will see how it all unfolds.

Did I say how happy I am Freeman came back.

VU2014

According Scott Burgess Valpo is showing interest in Former 4-star recruit Tim Finke. Transferring from GCU. He's a shooter. He knows the Peters family

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1114560052789227525?s=21

VUGrad1314

This would be a huge get... Hope it happens...

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 02, 2019, 07:09:02 PM
This would be a huge get... Hope it happens...

The fit makes sense too with Fazekas and Kiser set to graduate after this season

wh

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 02, 2019, 06:44:30 PM
According Scott Burgess Valpo is showing interest in Former 4-star recruit Tim Finke. Transferring from GCU. He's a shooter. He knows the Peters family

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1114560052789227525?s=21

Do we need more tall G on this roster in two seasons?

ValpoDad89

Here is what I know...Dildy stayed in close contact with the family after he left. Basically said if Javon isn't happy we have a place for him here at NU (kinda shady but this is big time college hoops). Javon and the family listened. They saw what happened to their program (transfer exodus) and he talked with Illinois. At Illinois he'd be 7-8 man off the bench plus they are going to recruit over him as they target 150 ranked players on in. Plus he'd have to sit a year and who knows what Underwood brings in. Here, at Valpo, he can show off his skill set wayyyyyyyy better than playing subpar minutes in the Big10 and always worrying about being recruited over as he plays a position that is very attractive to high Major programs. I'm glad he is staying for a myriad of reasons and the most is he stays with us, Valpo U.

He visited NU saw grass ain't greener and you will get looks playing for "little" Valpo U. I think his uncle, Marcus Liberty, played a big part in his staying as when I saw him and talked woth him he was always on high on his nephew and Valpo U. He's an Illinois alum and played in the Big10. Honestly, I think he talked his sister and nephew off the ledge and told them this is where he should be and is needed the most. There is some credence that he looked, visited NU. But in the end realized I get serious minutes here and if I build on what I've done this can be a special place.

Now others leaving may have played a role too. He or his family will never acknowledge and why? All we know he is staying and we just got better for it. #GoValpo

ValpoDad89

And if you look at his twitter post his uncle, Marcus, handle give me liberty Tells him now that's over, let's go to work Kid!!! That says volumes. Like the second comment down.

wh

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on May 02, 2019, 09:59:54 PM
Here is what I know...Dildy stayed in close contact with the family after he left. Basically said if Javon isn't happy we have a place for him here at NU (kinda shady but this is big time college hoops). Javon and the family listened. They saw what happened to their program (transfer exodus) and he talked with Illinois. At Illinois he'd be 7-8 man off the bench plus they are going to recruit over him as they target 150 ranked players on in. Plus he'd have to sit a year and who knows what Underwood brings in. Here, at Valpo, he can show off his skill set wayyyyyyyy better than playing subpar minutes in the Big10 and always worrying about being recruited over as he plays a position that is very attractive to high Major programs. I'm glad he is staying for a myriad of reasons and the most is he stays with us, Valpo U.

He visited NU saw grass ain't greener and you will get looks playing for "little" Valpo U. I think his uncle, Marcus Liberty, played a big part in his staying as when I saw him and talked woth him he was always on high on his nephew and Valpo U. He's an Illinois alum and played in the Big10. Honestly, I think he talked his sister and nephew off the ledge and told them this is where he should be and is needed the most. There is some credence that he looked, visited NU. But in the end realized I get serious minutes here and if I build on what I've done this can be a special place.

Now others leaving may have played a role too. He or his family will never acknowledge and why? All we know he is staying and we just got better for it. #GoValpo

An excellent post!  I hope you start posting more going forward.

VUBBFan

ValpoDad89

Thanks WH and don't lose the positivity brother. I know 2 guys pretty well, one better than the other, that coach lower level AAU ball for some good Chicago based programs. The one texted me around 3:45 today saying Freeman is staying put. I was like what? I couldn't talk to him until later tonight as I started a new gig yesterday and we were going out for a "team" dinner tonight.

He did visit NU and was not enamored. Both mom and uncle had concerns about the transfers there as well as the direction Collins has going and uncle Marcus, due to Illinois ties, reached out to them. They didn't like what they heard there either but he wanted to play closer to home for mom to see him. Sometimes the devil you know is far better than the devil you don't.

VU2014

I think people would be surprised by the level and amount of teams showing interest in Jay right now. If we could bring Jay back it would be pretty big for the team next season. We won't find a better experienced 7-footer on the grad-transfer market. I really hope he comes back.

SanityLost17

Quote from: VU2014 on May 03, 2019, 12:42:44 AM
I think people would be surprised by the level and amount of teams showing interest in Jay right now. If we could bring Jay back it would be pretty big for the team next season. We won't find a better experienced 7-footer on the grad-transfer market. I really hope he comes back.

Most of our guards/small forwards should all be really good on defense.   Sackey/Freeman/Morgan are all very aggressive defenders.  Clay was said to be a defensive minded guy and he is a tall guard.  Robinson was a very good defender at St. Joe.  Not sure about Gordon/Lorange/Krikke.   Fazekas is average.

But for the most part we have the ability to play great defense and take some of the pressure off not having a true defensive center. 

Part of me thinks Lottich doesn't want a true 7 foot post and wants to play a PF at the center position...   I think he wants Krikke and McMillan to be undersized centers that stretch the D and can hit the 3. 

Thats right people... We may actually be able to run an offense.   I am not sure Sorolla is the answer, part of me really wants to see how Lottich runs the offense without him/smits.     

valpo84

Welcome to college basketball today. 

Glad to hear Javon is returning.  This will be a dig in defensive team.  I still want to know who our knock down 3 shooters are to ease the congestion in the middle so the slashers can find some room.  Ryan is still a question mark because of injuries, and we still need more solid offensive rebounding.  You can play 5 out, but someone has to be dependable from outside when you run pick and roll, and brush screens in a motion or weave.  If we could land Skogman can get Sorolla back, this then becomes a contending team in MVC for not just this year but a window opens up.  We have to look more attractive to him as well.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusader05

Skogman just committed to Buffalo but I believe both Gordon and Robinson are expected to have decent 3 percentages as well as two of the transfers.

vu72

Wow!  You have to wonder what a guy like Zion Morgan is thinking this morning.  The guard rotation just got a lot more crowded.  We are now DEEP, VERY DEEP!! :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015