• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2020

Started by M, March 08, 2020, 07:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Sackey improved A LOT down the stretch this year and I think he is seen as one of the emotional leaders of this team. I wouldn't give up on him yet. As for Williams, we don't have a scholarship for him so I don't see how we can bring him here even if we want to get him for Javon.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 10, 2020, 07:47:07 PMSackey improved A LOT down the stretch this year and I think he is seen as one of the emotional leaders of this team. I wouldn't give up on him yet. As for Williams, we don't have a scholarship for him so I don't see how we can bring him here even if we want to get him for Javon.

I should have made my self clearer. I like Williams as a player and think he would fit in well at Valpo. Being a supposed friend of Javon it would be a plus in that friends enjoy being together and that makes for a happy environment. However there are no open scholarships available, so I was just wishing it would have worked out. I know it's not going to happen, so I was just doing a wouldn't it have been nice if ....

Valpower

Quote from: Chairback on March 10, 2020, 07:44:18 PM
Fieldgoodie You are dead on. 

If you are a smaller guard you have to have freakish athleticism to compensate for it.  Not just a set shooter from 3. 

Buggs had phenomenal speed, could pass and distribute and was a unbelievable on ball defender. He could get to the rim and finish.   

Daniel is the fastest player I have ever seen and can change a game when he is under control.

Kay Felder same thing.  Royce Parran at Chicago State.

I'd take him as a walk on, but not use up a scholarship. 

I would like to see what Sigurd could do, honestly. Matt saw something in him and it doesn't necessarily have to be a star point guard.  If he brings specific attributes to the game that round out the team, he (or anyone) can help take the team to the next level, assuming they don't come at some grave expense.

I couldn't disagree more that freakish athleticism is required to compensate for size. Intelligence, skill, and being part of a team plan are more than enough. Basketball courts are small, so acceleration can't consistently get you past a defender who anticipates your moves and positions himself well, especially if they don't respect your outside shooting; Sackey is slowly learning that. As for Fieldgoodie's comparison to Fazekas and his moments of difficulty getting off a shot, I'll say this. Preventing a great shooter from getting off his shot NEVER comes without a price.  I would wager that if he's not getting his shot, someone else is having an easier time offensively.

Next year we've got no guaranteed sharpshooter.  We need one. If he's fundamentally sound on defense, he'll add another tool to the Swiss Army knife that will make us better.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpower on March 11, 2020, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: Chairback on March 10, 2020, 07:44:18 PM
Fieldgoodie You are dead on. 

If you are a smaller guard you have to have freakish athleticism to compensate for it.  Not just a set shooter from 3. 

Buggs had phenomenal speed, could pass and distribute and was a unbelievable on ball defender. He could get to the rim and finish.   

Daniel is the fastest player I have ever seen and can change a game when he is under control.

Kay Felder same thing.  Royce Parran at Chicago State.

I'd take him as a walk on, but not use up a scholarship. 

I would like to see what Sigurd could do, honestly. Matt saw something in him and it doesn't necessarily have to be a star point guard.  If he brings specific attributes to the game that round out the team, he (or anyone) can help take the team to the next level, assuming they don't come at some grave expense.

I couldn't disagree more that freakish athleticism is required to compensate for size. Intelligence, skill, and being part of a team plan are more than enough. Basketball courts are small, so acceleration can't consistently get you past a defender who anticipates your moves and positions himself well, especially if they don't respect your outside shooting; Sackey is slowly learning that. As for Fieldgoodie's comparison to Fazekas and his moments of difficulty getting off a shot, I'll say this. Preventing a great shooter from getting off his shot NEVER comes without a price.  I would wager that if he's not getting his shot, someone else is having an easier time offensively.

Next year we've got no guaranteed sharpshooter.  We need one. If he's fundamentally sound on defense, he'll add another tool to the Swiss Army knife that will make us better.

I also carry that hope, but my gut is telling me he has more hurdles to clear in order to even get playing time.  And frankly, no playing time = no deep ball threat.

Just Sayin

Quote from: Chairback on March 10, 2020, 07:44:18 PMFieldgoodie You are dead on. If you are a smaller guard you have to have freakish athleticism to compensate for it.  Not just a set shooter from 3. Buggs had phenomenal speed, could pass and distribute and was a unbelievable on ball defender. He could get to the rim and finish. Daniel is the fastest player I have ever seen and can change a game when he is under control. Kay Felder same thing.  Royce Parran at Chicago State. I'd take him as a walk on, but not use up a scholarship.
I would like to see what Sigurd could do, honestly. Matt saw something in him and it doesn't necessarily have to be a star point guard.  If he brings specific attributes to the game that round out the team, he (or anyone) can help take the team to the next level, assuming they don't come at some grave expense. I couldn't disagree more that freakish athleticism is required to compensate for size. Intelligence, skill, and being part of a team plan are more than enough. Basketball courts are small, so acceleration can't consistently get you past a defender who anticipates your moves and positions himself well, especially if they don't respect your outside shooting; Sackey is slowly learning that. As for Fieldgoodie's comparison to Fazekas and his moments of difficulty getting off a shot, I'll say this. Preventing a great shooter from getting off his shot NEVER comes without a price.  I would wager that if he's not getting his shot, someone else is having an easier time offensively. Next year we've got no guaranteed sharpshooter.  We need one. If he's fundamentally sound on defense, he'll add another tool to the Swiss Army knife that will make us better.

Seth C. sounds like this guy. He wasn't all that bad.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 11, 2020, 12:41:37 PMmy gut is telling me he has more hurdles to clear in order to even get playing time.  And frankly, no playing time = no deep ball threat.

Siggy should already know what his potential is for playing and scoring in the Valley. If he decides to go I would not argue with him. If he decides to stay and Matt is good with it then so am I.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 02:24:07 PM

Quote from: Chairback on March 10, 2020, 07:44:18 PMFieldgoodie You are dead on. If you are a smaller guard you have to have freakish athleticism to compensate for it.  Not just a set shooter from 3. Buggs had phenomenal speed, could pass and distribute and was a unbelievable on ball defender. He could get to the rim and finish. Daniel is the fastest player I have ever seen and can change a game when he is under control. Kay Felder same thing.  Royce Parran at Chicago State. I'd take him as a walk on, but not use up a scholarship.
I would like to see what Sigurd could do, honestly. Matt saw something in him and it doesn't necessarily have to be a star point guard.  If he brings specific attributes to the game that round out the team, he (or anyone) can help take the team to the next level, assuming they don't come at some grave expense. I couldn't disagree more that freakish athleticism is required to compensate for size. Intelligence, skill, and being part of a team plan are more than enough. Basketball courts are small, so acceleration can't consistently get you past a defender who anticipates your moves and positions himself well, especially if they don't respect your outside shooting; Sackey is slowly learning that. As for Fieldgoodie's comparison to Fazekas and his moments of difficulty getting off a shot, I'll say this. Preventing a great shooter from getting off his shot NEVER comes without a price.  I would wager that if he's not getting his shot, someone else is having an easier time offensively. Next year we've got no guaranteed sharpshooter.  We need one. If he's fundamentally sound on defense, he'll add another tool to the Swiss Army knife that will make us better.

I don't want to get caught up on height but I also cannot ignore this.  We are being generous by giving him 5'9" -vs- Seth Colclasure was 6'2".  I get the athleticism comment but Seth was not 5+ inches shorter than any and all that guarded him.  I emphasize it's not that he cannot excel, just that he is going to really struggle unless he has some well honed sense and high basketball IQ.

Note:  I think most of us on this board are between 5'9" and 6'2" . . . we all know the difference when someone 4 to 5" taller is guarding us.  We likely never had the intangibles but I can promise you we had a lot of our shots blocked.

FWalum

Amazing that everyone forgets that Sigurd played in a professional league and was the leading scorer in many if not most games for his team. His stat line reads 20.0 PPG  3.7 RBPG  4.7 APG and he was not playing against midgets, these players were very similar in height to many college basketball teams and I would think potentially higher in talent than most 3A and 4A Indiana high school teams. I don't believe that we have seen him play enough healthy minutes to begin to make judgements as to his capabilities.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on March 11, 2020, 04:08:59 PM
Amazing that everyone forgets that Sigurd played in a professional league and was the leading scorer in many if not most games for his team. His stat line reads 20.0 PPG  3.7 RBPG  4.7 APG and he was not playing against midgets, these players were very similar in height to many college basketball teams and I would think potentially higher in talent than most 3A and 4A Indiana high school teams. I don't believe that we have seen him play enough healthy minutes to begin to make judgements as to his capabilities.

Fair point, I think many of us accept that we have not seen his best or his worst.  But it's also fair for us to point out concerns.  Otherwise what else do we have to talk about!!!!!????!!!!

valpotx

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 11, 2020, 03:22:49 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 02:24:07 PM

I don't want to get caught up on height but I also cannot ignore this.  We are being generous by giving him 5'9" -vs- Seth Colclasure was 6'2".  I get the athleticism comment but Seth was not 5+ inches shorter than any and all that guarded him.  I emphasize it's not that he cannot excel, just that he is going to really struggle unless he has some well honed sense and high basketball IQ.

Note:  I think most of us on this board are between 5'9" and 6'2" . . . we all know the difference when someone 4 to 5" taller is guarding us.  We likely never had the intangibles but I can promise you we had a lot of our shots blocked.

I am 5'10" so this fits with me.  One of my all-time favorite memories at Valpo was actually during an open gym session against a few other baseball players, and I blocked one of our 6'7" pitchers at the 3 point line :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

So I just checked the Transfer list and The Valley is still at 6.  That's the same number as Oakland and Wichita State!  It is early and many teams have transfers but I think it says something about the strength of the league when The Valley has a total of 6 and the Horizon is up to 18!  385 is the new total.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

GoldenCrusader87

And .... zero from Valpo :)

vu72

Brendon Gooch is transferring out of Southern Illinois.  That bring the Valley total to seven.  The national total is now 422.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

That doesn't strike me as a terribly big loss for the Salukis. That said they're still in their building phase so any loss probably hurts.

vu72

Harwin Francois from Southern Illinois is transferring.  That's two for SIU and a total of 8 for the Valley.

4throwfan

Just curious because I don't know how recruiting and transferring works - but is the transfer network shut down with the rest of the economy.  In other words, when things start happening again, will there be a flood of transfers.  Seems like the total number of transfers across the country is way, way down, and I assume that this is related to the shutdown.  If the country-wide 'timeout' goes too long, do would-be transfers say "too late now, I'll stay where I'm at for now"?  I guess I'm just curious as to what the summer transfer list looks like, assuming things start to veer toward 'normal'.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 26, 2020, 12:48:12 PM
Just curious because I don't know how recruiting and transferring works - but is the transfer network shut down with the rest of the economy.  In other words, when things start happening again, will there be a flood of transfers.  Seems like the total number of transfers across the country is way, way down, and I assume that this is related to the shutdown.  If the country-wide 'timeout' goes too long, do would-be transfers say "too late now, I'll stay where I'm at for now"?  I guess I'm just curious as to what the summer transfer list looks like, assuming things start to veer toward 'normal'.

I've been under the assumption that the inability to travel to the prospective landing places (campuses) will put a damper on the number of kids entering their names in the portal.  I don't see how a responsible effort to find a new school can be achieved without a campus visit and the key months for that have to be April - June.  TBD on when these governors start to open up their states and more importantly when these schools decide to open up their campuses again.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 26, 2020, 03:43:11 PMSeems like the total number of transfers across the country is way, way down,
Ag
Not sure about way way down!  Were at 493 now.  Christopher Agbo from Indiana State is transferring. That bring the Valley total to 9.

VUGrad1314

And zero impact players that I can see. Maybe one of the SIU transfers hurts a bit. Hall too but overall the Valley hasn't lost much that can't be replaced fairly easily.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2020, 04:13:15 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 26, 2020, 03:43:11 PMSeems like the total number of transfers across the country is way, way down,
Ag
Not sure about way way down!  Were at 493 now.  Christopher Agbo from Indiana State is transferring. That bring the Valley total to 9.

When did I say that?  Think you attribute the quote incorrectly.

4throwfan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 26, 2020, 06:18:03 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 26, 2020, 04:13:15 PM
Ag

When did I say that?  Think you attribute the quote incorrectly.

That's from my post.  I can't remember the exact numbers, but I thought that last year the total was over 1000 transfers, or at least 3 per school.  At 493, it's less than half of last year.  Granted it's a little early, but season is over nonetheless.

wh

I can't remember the last time Valpo transitioned from 1 season to the next without any player drama of any sort.

No drama means none of the following:
• transfers out
• off-season injuries
• off-season arrests
• in-house suspensions
• NCAA suspensions
• player dismissals
• academic eligibility issues
• denied redshirt petitions
• incoming freshman decommits
• incoming transfer decommits

We're off to a good start, but October is still a long way off.

vu84v2

Valpo needs to be seeking talent in the transfer market. A strong 4 or 5 could make this team even stronger for next season.

FWalum

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 27, 2020, 12:12:57 AM
Valpo needs to be seeking talent in the transfer market. A strong 4 or 5 could make this team even stronger for next season.
Since we currently have zero open scholarships I don't know how that would be possible.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Also that is not the kind of player that would suit Lottich's intended scheme of five out motion. That needs bigs like Mileek who can step out and hit threes to work well. That said, it would be nice to have a center to go against the Krutwigs Robbins Phyfes Bars (though he may have graduated) and Boyas of the world that will encounter in conference play. That said I think we will do pretty well with the incoming talent we have plus another year of growth from everyone else. I am VERY excited for next season. Not just as a Valpo fan but as a fan of the MVC in general. I think we could be in for a good year on both counts. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!