• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Missouri St

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 05, 2021, 08:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Good point on our streak of postseason games coming to an end for every 4 year class.  Technically, they would have kept it last year, to be fair to Mileek/the team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

And Barker only didn't get that because the mid-con lost the auto bid right? So really the streak goes back even farther if we give Mileek a pass due to COVID cancelling all tournaments (as we should).

valpo64

Isn't it interesting that a coach gets credit for bringing in some very highly rated recruits and then when they don't produce like we think they should, the coach should be let go because he can't recruit.  The same conversation is going on at Indiana regarding Archie Miller.  Now the IU fans are complaining he can't recruit.  This past season has to be one of the worst shooting IU teams in their history.  Blame the coach because some kids can't hit the broad side of a barn?  I don't think so.  Blame Lottich for our shooting woes and inconsistency?  I don't think so.  We never had a point guard this past season.  It turns out that Sackey is in way over his head and can't handle that job.  When a team is desperate for a PG and we have to do something to replace someone like Sackey  all of a sudden we see Clay being tried to fill that void along with some others.  Sackey regressed badly this past year.  Blame the Coach?  I don't think so.  Perhaps trying Clay to sometimes fill that PG void had a greater effect on Donovan's play than we think.  Who knows.  Again the loss of JFL was a terrific loss.  And some say Lottich cannot recruit?  I disagree.  A coach can't control injuries, Covid, transfers, poor shooting, etc. 
Remember Loyola was a complete disaster their first 4 years or so when they entered the MVC.  Look at the poor showing of Nebraska after they joined the Big 10(or 12 or 14 or whatever it is).  Remember, we have shown some improvement every year since we joined the MVC and I would expect to see us much better next season.  If you want to talk about a lousy season, try Illinois State.  Remember they went on a tear some seasons ago when they regularly finished at or near the top of the Valley.  I guess their coach has to go also.  I'm looking forward to next season!  GO VALPO!

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on March 08, 2021, 10:46:37 AM
Isn't it interesting that a coach gets credit for bringing in some very highly rated recruits and then when they don't produce like we think they should, the coach should be let go because he can't recruit.  The same conversation is going on at Indiana regarding Archie Miller.  Now the IU fans are complaining he can't recruit.  This past season has to be one of the worst shooting IU teams in their history.  Blame the coach because some kids can't hit the broad side of a barn?  I don't think so.  Blame Lottich for our shooting woes and inconsistency?  I don't think so.  We never had a point guard this past season.  It turns out that Sackey is in way over his head and can't handle that job.  When a team is desperate for a PG and we have to do something to replace someone like Sackey  all of a sudden we see Clay being tried to fill that void along with some others.  Sackey regressed badly this past year.  Blame the Coach?  I don't think so.  Perhaps trying Clay to sometimes fill that PG void had a greater effect on Donovan's play than we think.  Who knows.  Again the loss of JFL was a terrific loss.  And some say Lottich cannot recruit?  I disagree.  A coach can't control injuries, Covid, transfers, poor shooting, etc. 
Remember Loyola was a complete disaster their first 4 years or so when they entered the MVC.  Look at the poor showing of Nebraska after they joined the Big 10(or 12 or 14 or whatever it is).  Remember, we have shown some improvement every year since we joined the MVC and I would expect to see us much better next season.  If you want to talk about a lousy season, try Illinois State.  Remember they went on a tear some seasons ago when they regularly finished at or near the top of the Valley.  I guess their coach has to go also.  I'm looking forward to next season!  GO VALPO!

I would add one exception. I do think Lottich could have done some things to avoid the deep scoring droughts that Valpo had during games. These scoring droughts also happened way too often and I would think could have been avoided at times.

usc4valpo

The issue with Valpo basketball is more than Lottich. I just don't believe the university is truly committed to be highly successful in the MVC. We should not establish our success because two teams from the Valley may get in and we get more revenue, we need to lead this success. 

vuny98

Quote from: valpo64 on March 08, 2021, 10:46:37 AMIsn't it interesting that a coach gets credit for bringing in some very highly rated recruits and then when they don't produce like we think they should, the coach should be let go because he can't recruit.  The same conversation is going on at Indiana regarding Archie Miller.  Now the IU fans are complaining he can't recruit.  This past season has to be one of the worst shooting IU teams in their history.  Blame the coach because some kids can't hit the broad side of a barn?  I don't think so.  Blame Lottich for our shooting woes and inconsistency?  I don't think so.  We never had a point guard this past season.  It turns out that Sackey is in way over his head and can't handle that job.  When a team is desperate for a PG and we have to do something to replace someone like Sackey  all of a sudden we see Clay being tried to fill that void along with some others.  Sackey regressed badly this past year.  Blame the Coach?  I don't think so.  Perhaps trying Clay to sometimes fill that PG void had a greater effect on Donovan's play than we think.  Who knows.  Again the loss of JFL was a terrific loss.  And some say Lottich cannot recruit?  I disagree.  A coach can't control injuries, Covid, transfers, poor shooting, etc. Remember Loyola was a complete disaster their first 4 years or so when they entered the MVC.  Look at the poor showing of Nebraska after they joined the Big 10(or 12 or 14 or whatever it is).  Remember, we have shown some improvement every year since we joined the MVC and I would expect to see us much better next season.  If you want to talk about a lousy season, try Illinois State.  Remember they went on a tear some seasons ago when they regularly finished at or near the top of the Valley.  I guess their coach has to go also.  I'm looking forward to next season!  GO VALPO!
Also, remember it wasn't just JFL we lost to a Power conference. Smitts, Bakari, Sorolla all transferred up. Now I'm not saying that I was upset about them leaving (JFL was a big loss) but they did have enough talent that big time schools wanted them on their roster.

wh

As PO said, Donovan is going to have to improve his outside shooting dramatically. When a perimeter player shoots 20% from 3 for an entire season, he needs to spend more time in the gym shooting on his own. Or, if he is putting in a lot of extra work and 20% is still the result, then he needs a different role. Every coach in the MVC knows every opposing player's weaknesses. It's no accident that defenders are sagging off of him, just like they sag off of Daniel. This keeps the middle clogged, closes the driving lanes, and makes it nearly impossible for Ben to work the post without extra defenders there to poke the ball away when he's trying to back down his man.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 08, 2021, 11:56:06 AMThe issue with Valpo basketball is more than Lottich. I just don't believe the university is truly committed to be highly successful in the MVC. We should not establish our success because two teams from the Valley may get in and we get more revenue, we need to lead this success.
Do you just copy and paste this from a file every time you post?

usc4valpo

Yes, and it is the elephant in the room no one wants to address.