• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Fernandez sits and loses a year

Started by humbleopinion, December 10, 2011, 07:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Bryce was quoted in the Times as saying that Fernandez will lose a year of eligibility, and he (Bryce)also leaves us with the feeling that Jakolis will never see the floor in a Valpo uniform.  89, can you shed any more light on the situation?
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

The Fernandez situation is essentially a redshirt without the benefit of not losing a season of eligibility.  Even so, having a season of practice at the D1 level, adding weight and strength and generally working on his game sure can't hurt.  Having him for three years after a year of additional work will be invaluable to Valpo.

Jakolis is a very different situation.  First we need to determine if he is 6'4 (maybe-- according to sectionEE) or 6'7" according to the Valpo website!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

;D I've never believed more then half of the stats given out about their players from any school. It's all part of the game! ;)

vu72

As a side note, and certainly more proof that we have ZERO control over the NCAA process, take note of this:

Joyce Thompson, Associated Director of Enforcement Services at the NCAA, is a Valpo Law Grad.  Most interesting is the fact that she was the NCAA character shown in the movie "Blind Side", where she was incorrectly portrayed as the person who would not allow the player's parents to be present during the interrogation.

Scroll down a few people to read her bio:

http://www.valpo.edu/law/careers/alumni/fall10.php
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/May/Separating+fact+from+fiction+in+The+Blind+Side

The NCAA says the movie "The Blind Side" got it wrong.

http://www.vuslforum.org/2010/11/1-ready-for-editing/joyce-thompson/

A story on when Joyce Thompson made a presentation to the Valpo Law School. 

It does kind of change things when you can put a face on the people who actually do the NCAA investigations instead of just "blindly" (pun intended) throwing out accusations of ineptitude against faceless people.

bbtds

Also if you want a job at the NCAA here are the the position openings:

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=NCAA&cws=1

And they are actually hiring an Asst Director of Enforcement (Investigations) at this moment.

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NCAA&cws=1&rid=546

Here's a job opening for a summer intern at the NCAA for a law school student.

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NCAA&cws=1&rid=537

FWalum

QuoteAlso if you want a job at the NCAA......

Are you trying to "stack the deck" bbtds?  Need to get these guy eligible and this might be the way to do it!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Couldn't find any detail in the media I have bookmarked on the Fernandez determination.  Any links or references that would add clarity to this? 

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on December 10, 2011, 12:35:22 PM
QuoteAlso if you want a job at the NCAA......

Are you trying to "stack the deck" bbtds?  Need to get these guy eligible and this might be the way to do it!

Sure......whatever helps get those guys eligible.  ;)

I actually know of one NCAA investigator who is the brother of someone I work with. That's how I knew where the job listings were located.

valpotx

Is this because of 'professional' experience in both of their cases?  A similar thing happened with Fumey, in that even though he didn't get paid, he played on a team that had paid professionals.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Either they both have professional experience, or Jakolis's situation is more detailed than we've been told?

agibson

It's been a long time since I've heard _any_ details about Jakolis.

valpopal

Players at Milwaukee and Detroit who have recently (allegedly) committed criminal acts are already back on the court without NCAA suspension, but Edwards had to sit three games for a paperwork error and Fernandez apparently must sit a year. Interesting standards.

Apropos: Jay Bilas tweets today about Xavier's Tu Holloway and the NCAA:

Jay Bilas
"Love the NCAA rule in hoops: get in a fight, one game suspension. Tim Abromaitis plays in two exhibition games, four game suspension. Yikes."

Jay Bilas             
"Tu Holloway plays in a basketball game, suspended for one game. Tu Holloway helps instigate a fight, suspended for one game. Discuss."

valpotx

I think it is absurd when players who get in fights get 1-4 game suspensions while foreign players are scrutinized well into the season and lose a year of eligibility for playing on certain teams in their countries, even though they aren't paid.  I know nothing will happen anytime soon, but the NCAA needs to change how amateurism is viewed when it comes to foreign players.  Other countries have a completely different setup in regards to sports, where professional sports organizations have teams from the top level down to the youth level.  The youths aren't paid, but sometimes get played in a reserve or top level game while they are young, which can make them lose a year in NCAA.  We can't punish every foreign player just because their system is not the same as the US...
"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on December 13, 2011, 02:42:13 AM
I think it is absurd when players who get in fights get 1-4 game suspensions while foreign players are scrutinized well into the season and lose a year of eligibility for playing on certain teams in their countries, even though they aren't paid.  I know nothing will happen anytime soon, but the NCAA needs to change how amateurism is viewed when it comes to foreign players.  Other countries have a completely different setup in regards to sports, where professional sports organizations have teams from the top level down to the youth level.  The youths aren't paid, but sometimes get played in a reserve or top level game while they are young, which can make them lose a year in NCAA.  We can't punish every foreign player just because their system is not the same as the US...

The only issue I have you summed up in the last sentence. "their system is not the same as the US". Did the rules on eligibility change recently? If not, I don't have a problem with the setup now. If foreign players want to come here to get an education and play basketball, fantastic! Valpo has certainly gained from that in the past and produced some very good players and good people as well. That being said, they have to play by the same rules as everybody else. Pretty clear in my mind.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

johnestuff

Richie was told very early, by age 14, of the do's and don't of "professional" play. It came from the head of basketball of New Zealand. He was told exactly what he could and could not do. It probably didn't hurt that Chris Sparks was the professional coach in his area. If an overseas player wants to play in the US, they have access to the rules.

agibson

QuoteIf an overseas player wants to play in the US, they have access to the rules.

This may, of course, be more true in New Zealand than it is in Senegal, or perhaps even Jamaica or Croatia.  And, some kids will undoubtedly have better access to information than others.

It does seem pretty unfair to punish kids for the fact that they grew up in a country with a different system.  You wouldn't want to give them an unfair _advantage_ for that, either, I suppose.  I guess you could argue that, even if the kid's not paid, there's a significant advantage to playing everyday with professional players, etc.  But disproportionate penalties (e.g. losing a year of eligibility for playing in one game with some players who got a stipend) would seem unfair - maybe they're rare or absent.

valpotx

I believe Fumey is a great example, because he lost a full year of eligibility for playing in a small handful of games in Germany?  Does KVW have the same reason as to why he is a JR?  Just think if he were a SO...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on December 13, 2011, 11:36:25 AM
QuoteIf an overseas player wants to play in the US, they have access to the rules.

This may, of course, be more true in New Zealand than it is in Senegal, or perhaps even Jamaica or Croatia.  And, some kids will undoubtedly have better access to information than others.

It does seem pretty unfair to punish kids for the fact that they grew up in a country with a different system.  You wouldn't want to give them an unfair _advantage_ for that, either, I suppose.  I guess you could argue that, even if the kid's not paid, there's a significant advantage to playing everyday with professional players, etc.  But disproportionate penalties (e.g. losing a year of eligibility for playing in one game with some players who got a stipend) would seem unfair - maybe they're rare or absent.

I agree with the comment about "disproportionate penalties"; however, I wonder about the observation that we could argue the player received an unfair advantage playing with professional players, even when unpaid. Didn't the VU coaching staff cite the fact that Buggs scrimmaged with NBA players during the summer made him better and more mature this season? Certainly, the pros Fernandez or any other foreign player might have competed against could not have been better than the NBA players American kids play against in gyms across the country during every off season.

VU75

Quote from: valpotx on December 13, 2011, 11:51:43 AMDoes KVW have the same reason as to why he is a JR?  Just think if he were a SO.
I believe the year he played at the basketball academy counted towards eligibility the same as if he had played a year of junior college.

Valpo925

Kevin loses a year because of his age. He will become ineligible after his third year at VU.

valpopal

More NCAA confusion:

David Berst, the Division I vice president of governance, acknowledged Wednesday that about 1,000 players signed with schools in November, and those who did it with the promise of getting an additional $2,000 toward the so-called "full cost of attendance" would still get their extra money. Those who did not, may not.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7353566/petition-threatens-ncaa-2000-athlete-stipend

valpotx

That doesn't sound fair to people that committed earlier.  Everyone that is given a full ride, should be given a full ride when others at the same school receive the $2k...stupid
"Don't mess with Texas"